Shortness of breath - New Cortisol Discussion

This is where the best forum discussions are preserved for posterity.

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Shortness of breath - New Cortisol Discussion

Post by ofonorow » Fri May 31, 2013 10:44 am

My fasting sugar is now between 170 mg and 220 mg - and I know there is probably a +-10 mg error in the device.

Light headed is a more accurate term than "dizzy".

Now, this LPI link from another topic on blood pressure provides fascinating inormation!! http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/potassium/

Deficiency (K)

An abnormally low plasma potassium concentration is referred to as hypokalemia. Hypokalemia is most commonly a result of excessive loss of potassium, e.g., from prolonged vomiting, the use of some diuretics, some forms of kidney disease, or metabolic disturbances. The symptoms of hypokalemia are related to alterations in membrane potential and cellular metabolism. They include fatigue, muscle weakness and cramps, and intestinal paralysis, which may lead to bloating, constipation, and abdominal pain. Severe hypokalemia may result in muscular paralysis or abnormal heart rhythms (cardiac arrhythmias) that can be fatal (2, 4).

Reminded me that recently I had severe cramps after taking a walk with my wife.. In several leg muscles at the same time.

Maybe the muscle weakness is unrelated to cortisol - unless there is some relation to electrolyte status?

Because the following fascinating tidbit comes next:

In rare cases, habitual consumption of large amounts of black licorice has resulted in hypokalemia (6, 7). Licorice contains a compound (i.e., glycyrrhizic acid) with similar physiologic effects to those of aldosterone, a hormone that increases urinary excretion of potassium. Low dietary intakes of potassium do not generally result in hypokalemia (5). However, research indicates that insufficient dietary potassium increases the risk of a number of chronic diseases (see Disease Prevention).

Why is this interesting? I have been taking the NOGERD product daily for some time, after individuals here at the forum said it had stopped their chronic GERD. (It does seem to work, in the sense that the problem is worse if this product is not taken.) The product, from LetsTalkHealth.com has one ingredient on the label - Licorice Root.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Johnwen » Fri May 31, 2013 4:30 pm

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Johnwen » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:07 am

Here's a clinical guideline from the Cleveland clinic I thought you might be interested in.
If you place your cousor next to the slide bars when it turns to a doubleheaded arrow and left click it and hold you can drag all the side junk out of the way and get a better more readable article.

http://ccjm.org/content/78/11/748.full.pdf+html
research!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:02 am

Sir please check my math. from the above article, .75 mg/kg dosage, so if the average man is 70 kg - that means 70 * .75 or 52.5 mg prednisone dosage causes diabetes!!! No arguments there!

This discussion is about the safe range of cortisol intake, or less than 8-10 mg!

As I am becoming somewhat of an expert on minute (mg) changes in cortisol intake, I want to record that at my current sustained intake of 3 mg methyl prednisolone (2 mg a.m. 1 mg p.m.) I don't have any outright pain, only in my knees when I walk up stairs. Fasting sugar is now 180-190 mg.

The pain walking up stairs reminds me that it was totally gone on 4 mgs! (not only gone, my wife and I played tennis almost every day last summer!) This pain is reminiscent of how I felt after I was in the hospital. And it is becoming harder to walk up stairs as the days go on.

So one lousy mg is enough to make joints stiff an painful when some amount of force is applied. 1 mg!

After reading the Thyroid book, I see that Thyroid is complimented by Cortisol, much like GSH and Vitamin C work together, and really cannot be separated. Ergo, my elevated blood sugar may have as much to do with a Thyroid problem, as the glucocortocoid effect - especially since medicine tends to ignore and discount suboptimal thyroid.

Hopefully I can get a prescription for natural amour thyroid, and will report here the effect on my blood sugar and requirement for cortisol.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Johnwen » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:45 am

research!

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Johnwen » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:46 pm

research!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:43 pm

Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

randian

Post by randian » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:07 pm

ofonorow wrote:
Johnwen wrote:Why? Could there be a close connection between the two glands? While it seems unlikely that cortisol output could effect thyroid

The reverse is true, though. Over the long term, untreated hypothyroid usually results in adrenal insuffiency. The early morning T3 rampup done by the thyroid "powers" the early morning cortisol rampup done by the adrenals. The adrenals can produce for years without sufficient T3, but eventually they start shutting down. I know the medical profession hates the term "adrenal fatigue", but that's basically what it is.

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Johnwen » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:04 am

randian wrote:
ofonorow wrote:
Johnwen wrote:Why? Could there be a close connection between the two glands? While it seems unlikely that cortisol output could effect thyroid

Randian:
Where did you find this quote I can't find anything that I wrote that ressembles this??
Nor does it sound like something I wrote unless it was taken out of context of something that would go on to say about something as defiency of cortisol or something along that line.
If you read the link "the one on my prior post" it shows just the opposite, cortisol has a direct effect on the thyroid function!!!

Heres the link again.
http://www.martinfrost.ws/htmlfiles/apr ... geing.html
research!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:25 am

Sorry johnwen - that was my quote (not yours). I am tempted to simply fix it and delete the last post, but wanted you to see this first.

And from what randian says, adrenal function and thyroid cannot easily be separated, but that definition of "adrenal insufficiency" as low thyroid is vely interesting.

So, I will be able to investigate this in my own case. I now need 4 mg cortisol (165 fasting blood sugar this a.m. - but I also started Lypo-GSH...) If after taking thyroid (I understand it can take months to feel any positive effect) my requirement for cortisol drops, I will be easily able to determine that.

If I can stop my cortisol (yea!) and not risk another ER visit, then I will be a happy camper - unless thyroid real dose cause hair loss!
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

randian

Post by randian » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:19 pm

ofonorow wrote:And from what randian says, adrenal function and thyroid cannot easily be separated, but that definition of "adrenal insufficiency" as low thyroid is vely interesting.

I'm only saying that hypothyroid can be a cause of adrenal insufficiency. Naturally, there can be other causes.

randian

Post by randian » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:21 pm

Johnwen wrote:Where did you find this quote I can't find anything that I wrote that ressembles this??

Like Owen said, it's a screwup in the quoting. Sorry about that.

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Johnwen » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:54 pm

research!

randian

Post by randian » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:57 pm

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard