New Cortisol Discussion - DIgression to Blood Sugar (split)

This is where the best forum discussions are preserved for posterity.

Moderator: ofonorow

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: New Cortisol Discussion - DIgression to Blood Sugar (spl

Post Number:#16  Post by Johnwen » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:05 pm

This is a very good question Owen and one that more doc’s should ask them self’s before writing a script for T- supps.
For the sake of my fingers I will refer from here forth Testosterone will be Just “T”
I’m also not going to go into what it does only how it shows on tests and what effects it has on the readings.

T is produced in the Gonads of the male and the ovaries of the female during the reproductive years it will higher in both sexes and will decline with age. The T producers release it directly into the blood stream where it circulates freely through out the body as a lipid similar to cholesterol.
However it’s a useless item until it binds with a protein known as “Sex Hormone Binding Globin.” SHBG for short. On the blood test this bound substance is known as Serum Testosterone, Serum meaning the liquid faction of the blood once it is bound it becomes able to exist in the watery fluid otherwise the liver would filter it out.
However at this point, It is another basically useless item but the T takes on a different form while attached and when it breaks loose it is the effective cell enhancing substance, protein converting T the body needs. This substance is referred to on the blood test as Free Testosterone. The normal ratio is approx. 5 to 1.
I think you can see if the liver is not producing enough SHBG these levels will be low. So Low SHBG will equal Low T in the blood readings.
But the saliva test gives you an idea what is freely available ready for binding. In other words the organs are producing enough or more then is needed but without binding and separating it will be just shuttled out. The body is smart it says hay where’s my T dose and the liver will not release it and the levels of free will rise in hopes of getting the useable substance going. In another part of the liver where the SHBG is produced is dealing with a crisis of their own their getting bombarded with sugar and can’t get their production up to the demands of the body so they just do their best which is usually low so in the body T levels are down. I broke into this analogy for clarity and understanding. So now lets act like a doc. Your Blood T levels are low let’s add more free T and you should be alright. See the problem here??? Now the liver see excess free T levels and goes into dump mode. So I think you can see why a blood and saliva test together gives the true picture here. In your case your supplying more then enough free T it just not getting converted to the form your body can use. Get the sugar levels down and BOING!! I’ll leave it at that.
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#17  Post by ofonorow » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:43 am

Okay, thank you! That does make sense. But if I read it correctly, the problem is the low Sex Hormone Binding Globulin, which you blame on elevated sugar? (What if the sugar problem is my partial pancreas not producing insulin, or enough?) Is there any other way to elevate SHBG?

As far as the cholesterol, again, I know it forms the building blocks of all steroid hormones. I guess I should go back to taking pregnenlone.

And as far as low serum calcium - I love milk, and eat a lot of cheese (esp. now that I am avoiding carbs plus I take a supplement that includes calcium - for the magnesium and zinc.)
I am not sure I understand what you think is going on with the serum calcium again?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#18  Post by Johnwen » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:37 am

With your calcium levels once again this would lead to the need for another test called, “Ionized calcium,” which is the techy name for Free calcium!
The reason being just like your “T” readings is that serum calcium is the reading of calcium that is bound to the different proteins in the serum portion of the blood. So the question is are you low on free calcium which is not enough calcium available to be bound to the proteins OR Do you have low proteins that the calcium can bind to so it can be read.
The problem is Ionized calcium is a time sensitive test and some labs aren’t equipt to perform it so the alternate test is a 24 hour urine collection test which is where the free calcium ends up! If it’s elevated in the urine this is a good indicator you would have sufficient amounts in the blood and proteins would be the suspect.
My thought’s are that the low cholesterol is forcing your body to go into conserve mode and causing the muscles and other calcium binding protein producer’s to store rather then release which keeps the calcium from getting into where it can do some good and not the swirling water ride down the pipes. At this point I believe getting your cholesterol back to the magic 180+ will mean a world of difference for your health and well being. So for now rather then going through more expense with tests this reading should be on the watch list and see as the others rise to make sure it goes back into the normal.
I’d like to say one more thing and that is low calcium in the muscles does cause cramping and pain. HMMM!
research!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#19  Post by ofonorow » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:57 am

Again, vely interesting. (By the way Nancy who's son has been sick since 2011 called and was in tears - grateful - that you had been able to diagnose what all the docs missed for years! I am hearing that her son has finally begun responding - this from our 800 order taker.)

Okay, what if the lysine/proline is inhibiting the production of cholesterol?

As far as the pain - I now have a pretty good handle on how each mg of cortisol affects me - and if there is some secondary effect, so be it. I am pretty comfortable between 3/4 now.

I am also aware of my blood sugar (thirst, blurred vision, etc.) and can pretty much tell what the reading will be without the glucose meter.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#20  Post by Johnwen » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:29 am

ofonorow wrote:Okay, what if the lysine/proline is inhibiting the production of cholesterol?

This would indicate that maganese levels are low.
research!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: New Cortisol Discussion - DIgression to Blood Sugar (split)

Post Number:#21  Post by ofonorow » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 am

Second opinion (yesterday, march 23, 2015) is that johnwen was correct - and I am starting Manganese - but tripling my magnesium in conjunction.

I am back here at cortisol because of a cortisol urine test. The first test a couple of years back was a saliva test, it showed me exactly 20% under the LOW reading all day long. I was very impressed.

The urine test did show me "slightly" below the LOWS all day long - so it confirmed what I already knew, but it didn't seem as revealing as the day long saliva testing.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Return to “Archive”