Stopped virus infection in a day with 80 g of Vitamin C

This is where the best forum discussions are preserved for posterity.

Moderator: ofonorow

ChristianW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Stopped virus infection in a day with 80 g of Vitamin C

Post Number:#1  Post by ChristianW » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:27 am

I will share the experience I had until today in fighting off a viral infection with very high doses of oral Vitamin C (VC). Since I took notes during the time I will be able to give some detail about the protocol which I followed. The protocol is similar to the one recommended by Owen and based on typical dosages given by Cathcart.

Some of our friends reported about a wave of flu like virus infections in their neighborhood where many people had fever for about a week and various symptoms ranging from diarrhea to rhinitis and respiratory problems. I was forewarned and made sure that I would not miss a dose of my 4.5g VC taken 5 times a day on a four hour schedule. Usually this was enough to prevent me from catching a regular cold virus and it was close to my bowel tolerance level. Apparently it wasn't enough to completely prevent this infection.

I started to feel something coming on at about 8 PM on Thursday. I added an extra dose of 3g C and 1g liposomal VC and after 30 minutes another 4.5g C. By 8:45 PM it was clear to me that a fever was starting, even though the temperature had only minimally risen to 37.2 degree Celsius. I was forced to lie down as I suddenly felt weak and ill. I increased the dose to 6g C every 30 minutes, taking 4 times 6 g until 10:15 PM. Now the temperature had risen to 37.8 - clearly a fever.

After the second 6g C dose, I began to have terrible continuous painful watery diarrhea, which would continue on for hours. Having experienced mild painless diarrhea from high dose VC before, I was not quite sure whether or not it was the virus causing the diarrhea. Thus I took 2 doses of 1g liposomal C until midnight (assumed to be equivalent to about 2 x 5 grams of regular VC). The intestinal cramps were getting worse and the fever continued to rise to 38.3. My head was incredibly painful and I was feeling very toxic with a heavy brain-fog. Concentration was virtually impossible beyond the simplest of tasks. I was getting worried, that this might be dengue fever, which I had experienced 6 months earlier. There were none of the typical cough and cold symptoms, except a slight pain in the neck.

I determined to stay awake until I had fought this thing off, even if it would take more than a hundred grams of VC! Between midnight and 4 AM, I continued with about 6g VC per hour. By 3 AM the fever had risen to 38.8 and my head started to feel like it was exploding. Running to the toilet multiple times per hour did not improve my condition either. To prevent dehydration, I was drinking lots of fresh local coconut water which provides a balanced proportion of potassium, calcium, magnesium and sodium.

Then at 4:30 AM the most amazing thing started to happen: within a few minutes the intestinal cramps ceased and at the same time the toxic brain-fog lifted and the headache disappeared. It felt as if someone had pulled a switch. My body temperature went down to 38.0 and within an hour had gone down to 37.2 degrees. I knew, that by this time the virus had been basically overcome. I got some sleep, but continued with about 4.5g C every 4 hours to clear out the infection completely. By 8 PM Friday, 24 hours after the start of this little battle, I had taken about 80 grams of VC (including 3 g of liposomal C) and continued to maintain normal body temperature below 37.0 degrees. On Saturday I was able to eat three regular meals again (after having been on a vegetable soup diet on Friday) and I took about 28g VC split into 7 doses.

I'm glad, that I was able to get back to almost normal within a day and a half, whereas usually (with lower doses of VC) I would have taken much longer. If I'm overcome by a virus infection for a week or more, it often triggers atrial fibrillation and I end up in hospital.

The doctor diagnosed a probable viral gastroenteritis after checking lab tests including CBC and stool. This internist then prescribed 500 mg Vitamin C per day... yeah, really 0.5g! ;-)

One thing which I had never experienced in previous (even severe) viral infections was the visibly thick swelling of the lymph nodes on the right and left front-sides of the neck. Running the whole height of the neck, these were very painful on Saturday morning and sensitive to touch. Without Vitamin C my lymph nodes hardly changed - with high dose Vitamin C my lymph nodes were quickly massively swollen. They are almost back to normal now (Sunday morning in Asia).

:?: I'm aware that lymph nodes are garrisons of B, T, and other immune cells. Could it be that the high blood level of Vitamin C helped to mobilize my immune system to such a degree, that the lymph nodes were producing many times more immune cells than I had been used too? Has anyone here experienced similar changes in the way their lymph nodes react to infections in the presence of high blood levels of VC?

edit: minor clarifications
Last edited by ChristianW on Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Stopped virus infection in a day with 80 g of Vitamin C

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:14 am

Thank you for this report. (Other than the low dosage, I love it. Only half kidding, maybe I missed the initial dosages. As you know, we recommend starting with 8000 mg every 20 minutes for about 2-3 hours) and then something like this as the maintenance dose out to 10 days.)

We would you be interested in submitting this as a report/letter to the Townsend Letter? We can help get it published, and if you don't mind using your name, I can make sure it gets considered. Or, I could submit it as an "anonymous" report from our Foundation's forum. Either way, send me a private message.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ChristianW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by ChristianW » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:27 am

ofonorow wrote:Thank you for this report. (Other than the low dosage, I love it. Only half kidding, maybe I missed the initial dosages. As you know, we recommend starting with 8000 mg every 20 minutes for about 2-3 hours) and then something like this as the maintenance dose out to 10 days.)
True, the dosage was a little lower than intended. During a previous (less severe infection) two months ago, I tried the 8g C/ dosage, but found, that I could not tolerate it; so during that episode I took 6g C/25 minutes and it stopped the cough & cold infection successfully after about 56g with only a some diarrhea once I reached bowel tolerance.

That previous experience was the reason I went with 6g C/25-30 minutes after I realized, that a fever was definitely in the works. I had intended to maintain that for at least 3 hours, as I was expecting flu like cough & cold symptoms. What threw me off, was that a violent diarrhea started pretty much after the second 6g dose. I wasn't sure whether I had reached bowel tolerance or if it was caused by the virus. I continued with 6g C for the 3rd and 4th dose and then I switched to liposomal Vitamin C for the 5th and 6th dose. Then, after midnight, I slowed down a bit to hourly dosing. This was still closer to your recommendation than to Irwin Stones of 2g C every 20-30 minutes as discussed on your flu cure page. By the way, its Monday morning now and (apart from the lymph nodes still being somewhat sensitive to touch) I'm feeling well :D

Could you please comment on my question (at the end of the first post) regarding the painful swollen lymph nodes?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:55 am

Sorry. I have no specific knowledge of the interaction between swollen lymph nodes and vitamin C intake. Your guess is as good as mine.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

majkinetor
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#5  Post by majkinetor » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:41 am

I get swollen lymph nodes as first sign of infection, while I am still feeling mostly healthy, with or without C.

nkm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#6  Post by nkm » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:44 am

I know this is a pretty old thread but my girlfriend is battling very aggressive, final stage acute myeloid leukaemia.
I started her on high dose liposomal C treatment (40,000mg per day in 5,000mg doses) and she is also getting enlarged lymph nodes along/under her jaw.

The Doctors thought it was an infection but grew nothing on the cultures. They also ran a CT (Australian hospitals are good this way...they never spare expense for patients, even if they can't offer leukaemia treatment at this stage) which showed "necrotic tissue".

My guess is that the necrotic tissue may be dead leukaemic cells building up in the lymphatic system at a high rate. I have read lots of vitC research which states it causes not only apoptosis but also necrosis of cancer cells.

I wonder if the OP had a similar type of reaction with their virus??

Now I have to figure out how to clear out the lymphatic system quicker...???

Return to “Archive”