Vitamin B3 ( Niacin) and type 2 diabetic

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Vitamin B3 ( Niacin) and type 2 diabetic

Post Number:#1  Post by sean » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:56 am

hi everyone,

Will 1000mg of daily Vitamin B3 ( Niacin) cause a raise in blood sugar and causes type 2 diabetic?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Vitamin B3 ( Niacin) and type 2 diabetic

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:06 am

Good question, but I am wondering what prompted it?

In Chapter 5, Safety of Niacin, Pages 53-55, Hoffer and Saul discuss the question "Does Niacin Raise Blood Sugar" in the book NIACIN: THE REAL STORY.

Sometimes it does. Many decades ago I (Hoffer) began giving niacin to all my diabetic patients to keep their cholesterol levels normal and to decrease the serious vascular side effects of diabetes that lead to blindness and loss of legs. I did not see that many, but none of my diabetic patients on niacin suffered from those side effects. Their eyes remained normal as did their circulatory system. [Owen's note - Hoffer also routinely prescribed vitamin C.]

Many physicians had the idea that because niacin increased blood glucose levels in some patients that this was contraindication. However, that increase was usually minor and the patients did not suffer from those slight elevations. I found that one-third of my diabetic patients had to increase their insulin levels a little, one-third had to decrease it, and the rest did not need to make any change.

Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#3  Post by sean » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:12 am

Good question, but I am wondering what prompted it? ~ my recent blood test : TC 167 , LDL 97, HDL45,TRI 97....i was wondering if naicib could help to further lower ldl n tri and raise hdl, together with vit c n lysine. My fasting glucose is 5.5 n dr say i have to be careful on my sugar intake. I m currently on 1000mg b3 but no flushing. Should my glucose level raise in 1 month after i my b3 intake, will it be reverse if i stop the b3?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:47 pm

Please be clear on units.

Your total cholesterol is only 167 mg/dl and you are worried about the LDL/HDL ratio??

And I don't relate to the sugar units, which makes me wonder about the cholesterol units.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by pamojja » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:30 pm

5.5 mmol/L divited by 0.0555 gives about 99 mg/dl. Fasting glucose measurements varies greatly from day to day. That's why I measured for up to one month a time to find it's actual mean. If that would be 99 mg/dl I would not only eliminate sugar, but if necessary, reduce carbohydrates even further.

Since blood glucose measurements rise in some who take pharmacological doses of niacin, no-one would be able to tell. Except youself by measuring with a cheap blood glucose meter. If glucose rises with niacin intake, it will fall again after discontinuation.

Only the flushing type of niacin (nicotinic acid) will improve your lipids.

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#6  Post by sean » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:44 pm

Owen-the unit is mg/dl.
Pamojja-i m taking the b3 which is flushing type but is just that i did not experience the flush. My friend who took the same bottle of b3 experience flushing initially,but it stop flushing after a while.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by ofonorow » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:06 pm

If mg/dl, then you are like me and should be trying to find ways to raise your total cholesterol, in my opinion. Not only do fat soluble vitamins and CoQ10 ride around in the blood on LDL cholesterol, but vitamin D is made out of cholesterol when your skin is exposed to sunlight with enough UV/B, and of course, all the sex and steroid hormones are made out of cholesterol, etc.

Hoffer discusses the fact that people who initially flush on niacin, don't over time. This is expected, and from memory, the issue is something that is released from the cell causing the flush, probably histamine. As the cells become depleted of the histamine from repeated usage there is little to cause the flush over time. The book on this is NIACIN: THE REAL STORY by Hoffer and Saul.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#8  Post by Dolev » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:56 pm

How does one raise cholesterol level? I just received the blood tests of a problematic young man with a total cholesterol of 103.
Dolev

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#9  Post by pamojja » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:15 am

A very good question! Eating high cholesterol food did the opposite in my case. Usually infection drive cholesterol up. But than I had one with the lowest TC since too.

I would look at as many lab markers as possible (liver, kidney, thyroid etc.) and precautionary supplement pregnenolone, since this precursor hormone depends on cholesterol. If DHEAs showed low, that too.

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#10  Post by Johnwen » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:28 pm

Dolev etc.

Something that Big Pharma Hides and Doc's don't get taught.

INSULIN

Controls Cholesterol!!!

Low Insulin = low cholesterol

Cells eat 2 things Fat and sugar! If they got enough sugar they reject it along with insulin back to the liver it goes! Liver says, Oh they must have enough sugar lets give them the other course of their meal FAT! (cholesterol=Fat wrapped in a package because fat don't do so good in watery substances)
I have a flow chart if you wish I can post it.
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#11  Post by Johnwen » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:04 pm

Here it is! Simple enough???

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#12  Post by exitium » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:08 pm

Yea, people often think cholesterol containing foods raise cholesterol but it is in fact carbs that raise cholesterol. High carb intake, especially high glycemic ones cause increase in insuline and in turn cholesterol.

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#13  Post by sean » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:09 am

Can Niacinamide lower cholesterol? Is this the same as naicin? Some info suggest that only niacin have effect on lowering cholesterol but not niacinamide. Any comment on this

jimmylesante
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#14  Post by jimmylesante » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:45 am

No i guess is the answer as per below extract
In 1983 I (AH) suggested that niacin lowers cholesterol because it releases histamine and glycosaminoglycans. Niacinamide does not do this. A histamineglycosaminoglycan-histaminase system had also been found to be involved in lipid absorption and redistribution in an earlier study by Mahadoo, Jaques, and Wright in 1981.19 Boyle had found that niacin increased basophil leukocyte count; these cells store heparin as well as histamine.

Hoffer, Abram ; Saul, Andrew W. ; Foster, Harold D. (2012-02-01). Niacin: The Real Story (Kindle Locations 1976-1979). Basic Health Publications, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

johnyascorbate
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#15  Post by johnyascorbate » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:48 pm

What is the best form of Niacin one should be taking for good overall health?

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”