Pauling Therapy origin

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Pauling Therapy origin

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:45 am

What is the origin of the Pauling Therapy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bymKIPaTws (Linus Pauling lecture, Feb. 1992)

Has it appeared in any formal writing or reports?

From the 1992 Linus Pauling Unified Theory of Heart Disease (Available on DVD Video) we learn from Pauling himself how and when he invented the therapy (transcript below). He states the origin - at the Academy of Science - after a fellow member with Cardiovascular Disease asked him what else he might try in addition to vitamin C. It should be noted that the video was filmed after he and Matthias Rath had applied for their patents (below). The invention arose out of his association with Matthias Rath, and the research conducted by Dr. Rath's group.

It should also be recorded what Pauling's daughter Linda Pauling-Kamb told me that her father did not make the dosage recommendations on the 1992 video off the top of his head. She reported him working at his desk and giving the problem thought and attention - how much lysine would be required to neutralize Lp(a).

First Three Cases

Pauling relates what happend to the fellow scientist on the video, and then 2 more cases.

These 3 case reports were published published in alternative medical journals. Probably the journal of Orthomolecular Medicine .

This is the first published case report: http://www.orthomolecular.org/library/jom/1991/pdf/1991-v06n03%2604-p144.pdf

Unified Theory Paper

The Pauling/Rath unified (vitamin C) theory of cardiovascular disease constitutes one of the great potential breakthroughs of modern science. Their remarkable theory, and its intriguing claim that very low cost Lp(a) binding inhibitors will prevent and even dissolve arterial blockages has apparently gone unnoticed by the pharmaceutical industry, the medical profession and the media. http://PaulingTherapy.com

Their theory paper was first accepted by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, but then rejected and not published.

The 'banned' Pauling/Rath Unified Theory Paper (PDF) http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/1992/pdf/1992-v07n01-p005.pdf

Pauling/Rath Patents

5,278,189 - Prevention and Treatment of Cardiovascular Disease with Ascorbate and Substances that Inhibit the Binding of Lipoprotein(a) http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=5278189.PN.&OS=PN/5278189&RS=PN/5278189

5,230,996 - Use of Ascorbate and (Lysine) for Organ and Blood Vessel Treatment Prior to Transplantation. http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=5230996.PN.&OS=PN/5230996&RS=PN/5230996

5,650,418 - Therapeutic Lysine Salt Composition and Method of Use http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=15&f=G&l=50&co1=OR&d=PTXT&s1=Rath-Matthias.INNM.&s2=Rath-M&OS=IN/Rath-Matthias+OR+Rath-M&RS=IN/Rath-Matthias+OR+Rath-M

Here is the transcript of Linus Pauling from the video (which can be found at the bottom of this link)
http://www.internetwks.com/pauling/stories.html

The Story Behind the Cure

Linus Pauling wrote:Two and one half years ago, (1991) I was in a meeting of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States. I wa s in the hallway of the academy building and another member of the academy came up to me. He said, Dr. Pauling, " I have heart disease. My brother, my father both died of heart attacks. I am a biochemist but I was retired from the National Institutes of Health several years ago for disability because of my heart. I have had 3 by-pass operations, and I can't have any more by-pass operations. I like to walk, but I have trouble. After I have walked a little way I develop angina pectoris pain in my heart. If I take a nitroglycerin tablet, I can walk a little farther, and then I may have to take another nitroglycerin tablet." He went on to say," I have been taking vitamin C, 5 grams a day for several years because of your recommendation. Is there something else that I could do that would permit me to walk?"
I said, "I could make a suggestion, it has never been tried before. Take Lysine."

Well I didn't need to tell him what Lysine was, that it's an essential amino acid and you have to get around a gram a day to be in good health, and you get it in your foods, because he is one of the most distinguished biochemists in the United States, recipient of the National Medal of Science in the United States. So he said, how much shall I take? I thought, what do I know. I know that people get a gram or two in their food depending upon how much meat and fish they eat, that it's essential they have to get around one gram. It hasn't any known toxicity in animals or human beings. I said 5 grams, 5 grams a day. He thanked me.

A couple of months later he telephoned me and said its almost miraculous. I started taking a gram a day and 2 grams and so on. Within a month after I had reached 5 grams a day of Lysine in addition to my 5 grams of vitamin C, I could walk 2 miles without any nitroglycerin tablets or without any pain in the chest. He said he had cut down the amount of heart medicine he was taking in half. "It's almost miraculous," he said.

Another couple of months went by and he telephoned me and said that, "I was feeling so good the other day that I cut down a big tree in our yard, and was chopping it up for wood, and I was also painting the house, and I got chest pains", despite his 5 grams of lysine, so he said that he "went up to 6 grams of lysine and 6 grams of vitamin C and told me now "I am continuing chopping down, chopping up the tree and painting the house". And now a couple of years later he is still in fine health.

[From the 1993 Linus Pauling Video on Heart Disease]

Sadly, We, under the auspices of the Vitamin C Foundation, submitted two study proposals to the United States National Institutes of Health, (NIH) Office of Alternative Medicine. We were inexperienced in submitting such proposals, but the NIH was free to solicit its own studies. Either proposal would have fairly evaluated the Pauling therapy on heart disease.

The 2002 Study Proposal http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/NCCAMgrant/

The 1998 Study Propoasl http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/NIH1998refusal/

These submissions (and subsequent rejections) are a matter of public record.

Note circa 2013: We have since been contacted by members of Mark Levine's Vitamin C Group inside the $28 Billion NIH asking us for "funding" for their Vitamin C work.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Pauling Therapy origin

Post Number:#2  Post by Johnwen » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:03 pm

A little off topic but should be a must read for those who hear negatives on Pauling!!!

http://www.cancertutor.com/war_pauling/
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

Montmorency
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by Montmorency » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:20 pm

You know, I am very grateful for having discovered the Vitamin C foundation and this forum for a lot of reasons, but I am now newly grateful for now finding out about the Lysine connection with Lp(a) and heart disease. (e.g. via the PaulingTherapy.com link).

I know that Pauling mentions Lysine several times in HTLLAFB - I just checked the index and followed some of the references, but I don't remember him talking in there about lysine binding with Lp(a). Perhaps he had not fully developed his ideas in that area when that book was written (published in 1986).

No matter: I know now, and will be sure to pass this on to people whom I think might benefit.

BTW, I just listened to that first radio interview. Great stuff.
BTW**2: I ordered Owen's book a couple of days ago, and look forward to it avidly. I note that it gets 100% 5* reviews on UK Amazon, admittedly only from 4 reviewers. Hopefully there will be a 5th up there before too long. :-)

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:22 am

I know that Pauling mentions Lysine several times in HTLLAFB - I just checked the index and followed some of the references, but I don't remember him talking in there about lysine binding with Lp(a). Perhaps he had not fully developed his ideas in that area when that book was written (published in 1986).

Correct, the Lp(a) connection was brought to the attention of Linus Pauling after the 1986 book HOW TO LIVE LONGER AND FEEL BETTER was published. (note: Little in the HTLLAFB book is wrong, it is just that new information has been made available since its publication, e.g. Pauling's Lysine/Vitamin C therapy to reverse cardiovascular disease, the information on vitamin K for longevity and to reduce calcification in soft tissues (in 1986 Pauling did not recommend vitamin K) and all the information about Vitamin D that has appeared recently..... A conspiracy theorist might speculate that the reason vitamin D (and possible vitamin K) research was not attacked, like Vitamins E and C and A have been, is precisely because Pauling didn't recommend them! That they used his book to identify the targets of the Big Lie propagandists. Good thing we are not conspiracy theorists..
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Montmorency
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#5  Post by Montmorency » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:54 am

ofonorow wrote:

Correct, the Lp(a) connection was brought to the attention of Linus Pauling after the 1986 book HOW TO LIVE LONGER AND FEEL BETTER was published. (note: Little in the HTLLAFB book is wrong, it is just that new information has been made available since its publication, e.g. Pauling's Lysine/Vitamin C therapy to reverse cardiovascular disease, the information on vitamin K for longevity and to reduce calcification in soft tissues (in 1986 Pauling did not recommend vitamin K) and all the information about Vitamin D that has appeared recently..... A conspiracy theorist might speculate that the reason vitamin D (and possible vitamin K) research was not attacked, like Vitamins E and C and A have been, is precisely because Pauling didn't recommend them! That they used his book to identify the targets of the Big Lie propagandists. Good thing we are not conspiracy theorists..

Thanks for the great clarification Owen.

Conspiracy theories? No theorising necessary in my view. It all seems pretty factual. :-)

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”