Reason for Adding Vitamin K to the Pauling Therapy

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Reason for Adding Vitamin K to the Pauling Therapy

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Mon May 11, 2015 12:24 pm

The following article is how we know of vitamin K's role in regulating arterial calcium:

Vitamin K protects the heart
https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2000/2/report

Vitamin K regulates calcium

Imagine a vitamin that could keep calcium in bones and out of arteries. In so doing, that vitamin could stop heart attack and osteoporosis at the same time. Sound incredible? Maybe, but research shows that vitamin K does exactly that. It works by regulating calcium. Bones need it, arteries can't stand it. Vitamin K accommodates both.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Reason for Adding Vitamin K to the Pauling Therapy

Post Number:#2  Post by Johnwen » Mon May 11, 2015 3:39 pm

Kind of a misleading article???
The liver takes in almost all and does not convert it to k2 it is primarily used in production of clotting factors. Primarily factor X but it also effect’s factor 11 so a person taking one of the newer anti coagulants can start having problems if supplementing with higher doses of K1. The normal? Amount of V-K received from diet can be over come by these drugs but higher dose supplementing with K1 would be contraindicated.

The remainder of K1 that makes into the intestines gets converted by the bacteria in the intestines where it is then converted to K2.
Dug around and found this article that gives a real good account on which one of the K vitamins does what.

http://www.nbihealth.com/t-mk7-hip-fractures.aspx

Then of course we have wiki but read the disclaimer at the beginning some of it is a little off base!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_K2

If your interested in Factor X this gets techy but shows what happens if you don’t get enough!

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/209867-overview
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by Ralph Lotz » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:58 am

Updated Vitamin K articles from Life Extension Foundation:

Protection Against Arterial Calcification, Bone Loss, Cancer, and Aging!
http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2 ... ng/page-01

The Surprising Longevity Benefits of Vitamin K
http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2 ... -k/page-01
"Unless we put medical freedom into the constitution...medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship..force people who wish doctors and treatment of their own choice to submit to only what..dictating outfit offers." Dr. Benjamin Rush

DFulton

Post Number:#4  Post by DFulton » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:19 am

Having to be on Clopidogrel for the next 11 months due to 4 coated stents, would you still recommend LEF Super K? Wouldn't it be counter-active to the Clopidogrel? What about Vitamin D?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by ofonorow » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:53 am

I am not a drug expert (nor do I have any interest.) Perhaps johnwen will answer from his perspective.

I do know (as reported in the medical news) that two trials for Plavix were HALTED because the placebo group was faring better than the Plavix/Clopidogrel group. Of course, then these trials were not published. (You might ask your doctor about that, unless you don't want to irritate him.)

From Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clopidogrel

Clopidogrel (INN) is an oral, thienopyridine-class antiplatelet agent used to inhibit blood clots in coronary artery disease, peripheral vascular disease, cerebrovascular disease, and to prevent myocardial infarction (heart attack) and stroke. It is marketed by Bristol-Myers Squibb and Sanofi under the trade name Plavix. The drug works by irreversibly inhibiting a receptor called P2Y12, an adenosine diphosphate (ADP) chemoreceptor on platelet cell membranes. Adverse effects include bleeding, severe neutropenia, and thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.

Before the expiry of its patent, clopidogrel was the second best-selling drug in the world. In 2010, it grossed over US$9 billion in global sales.[1]

I see nothing that indicates any contract-indication with vitamin K, but again, I am no expert. The best analogy may be a "super" form of aspirin - which we don't recommend either.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

hvc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#6  Post by hvc » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:59 am

Good morning. I ordered super-k from lef yesterday. what is the recommended daily dosage?

BrightSideOfLife
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#7  Post by BrightSideOfLife » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:34 pm

I stopped purchasing LEF Super K because the bioavailable vitamin K levels are quite low as measured by several analysis labs in Europe and the USA. Based upon the expense, there are better alternatives available IMO.

I cannot remember precisely what the availability was found to be but it was only something around 40-50%. There are cis and trans forms and only the trans form is usable. Super K was found to have a very large amount of cis form vitamin K2.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#8  Post by ofonorow » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:26 am

We are not vitamin K experts. All I know is that both my wife and I take Super-K - and neither of us has any calcium in our arteries. Zero.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#9  Post by skwoodwiva » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:22 pm

I have gone to Jarrow mk7, not for any poor reports on LE but a local store went out of business and I got a load for cheap.
270 to 360 mcg a day, spread out.

What dosages do most PTers take?
I hear the 360 is best.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#10  Post by pamojja » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:51 am

skwoodwiva wrote:What dosages do most PTers take?
I hear the 360 is best.

That is a good dose of K2-mk7. Have used various products over the years, but settled with http://www.k-vitamins.com/index.php?page=Product_-_Buy_Now

Opti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#11  Post by Opti » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:39 am

It seems Life Extension reformulated their Super K and now it has just 100mcg of mk7. Jarrows K-Right seems to be the best now, gonna order it right now.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#12  Post by pamojja » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:45 am

Opti wrote:It seems Life Extension reformulated their Super K and now it has just 100mcg of mk7. Jarrows K-Right seems to be the best now, gonna order it right now.

Be aware that most K2-mk7 is a mix of cis and trans form, where allegedly only one of them is bio-active. When LEF was questioned which theirs contains they answered, such a mix out economical reasons. So even with their mixed form, one would get a good dose of the active. Don't know what moved them to reduce it to 100 mcg again. Could just be they changed to the active only form.

With all other companies which don't disclose this important detail, one might get only 50% of actives than declared too.

Opti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#13  Post by Opti » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:43 pm

You were right pamojja, I just got this answer from Life Extension.

"We are happy to address your question. Super K with Advanced K2 Complex was recently reformulated to include a standardized all-trans form of MK-7. The previous MK-7 source provided about 50% of each form (cis and trans), while the new K2 source provides 100% of the trans form. Thus, the amount of Vitamin K2 (MK-7) has changed from 200 mcg to 100 mcg. Although this new form provides half the total amount of the previous product, since the new K2 is in the all-trans biologically active form and the inactive cis-form is eliminated, the vitamin K2 activity remains the same."

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#14  Post by skwoodwiva » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:32 am

pamojja wrote:
skwoodwiva wrote:What dosages do most PTers take?
I hear the 360 is best.

That is a good dose of K2-mk7. Have used various products over the years, but settled with http://www.k-vitamins.com/index.php?page=Product_-_Buy_Now

You & the trial, coming soon were my sources for dosing. :)

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#15  Post by skwoodwiva » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:23 am

I was very concerned about this Jarrow formula. I could only find this German page saying it is 100% trans.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 4jMGmCkWzs
So it seems equivalent to the upcoming outcome/study product.

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”