Withdrawal effects of stopping Metoprolol??

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ChuckArbogast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Withdrawal effects of stopping Metoprolol??

Post by ChuckArbogast » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:15 am

Hello,
I was wondering if there are any rebound/withdrawal effects when stopping metoprolol? I went from my normal dose of 25mg to 12.5mg for about a month, then cut that in half for about two weeks and then off of it completely. It has been about 10 days since I stopped taking it and I feel worse now than when I started. The only other prescription drug I am on is 5mg of Lisinopril.

Is there anything I can do/take to either stop or reduce what I am feeling?

Thanks,
Chuck

Frank51
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Withdrawal effects of stopping Metoprolol??

Post by Frank51 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:56 pm

What are you feeling Chuck? I quit taking metoprolol similar to the way you did and I've felt much better since then.

I stopped taking all prescription meds at six weeks after my cabgx5. I had some arrhythmias after the surgery but those stopped when I started supplementing magnesium.

I take all the supplements Owen suggests in his book and probably a few more. I also mostly eat meat and a few green vegetables. That really got me feeling stronger and feeling good. I avoid sugar, flour, starchy vegetables and try not to eat much fruit because of the sugar in it.

Owen had suggested I read a book by Richard K.Bernstein on Diabetes and that got me looking in to my blood glucose levels. I haven't checked my glucose levels recently but I felt much better after changing my diet.
Last edited by Frank51 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChuckArbogast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ChuckArbogast » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:50 am

Frank51,
I'm having muscle pain and what I think are palpitations. The pain gets bad at times but usually gets better with some Tylenol. I don't want to take Tylenol a lot, so I want to find a different way to eliminate this, assuming it is due to the withdrawal of the metoprolol. I had the exact same procedure as you, cabg x 5, and have eliminated all but one drug without the consent of the doctors. I'm still taking lisinopril as mentioned above, but want to possibly get off of that once things calm down with this metoprolol issue.

I'm hoping to find someone that can confirm what I am feeling is withdrawal from metoprolol and have something to help ease the discomfort until it will go away on its own.

Thanks,
Chuck

nineboy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by nineboy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:11 pm

I would take it real easy trying to get off Metoprolol. I'm sure johnwen will comment as everybody is different and what works for one might not for another. I am still on metoprolol and yes would like to get off but told no. I take my Vitamin C etc and feel pretty good at this time. Angina is gone Hallelujah. Take care. nineboy.

Frank51
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Frank51 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:57 pm

Chuck I'm wondering if the lisinopril you're taking is causing the problems you've mentioned. I looked at the side affects of that drug and it could be what's causing your pain.

The link to Lisinopril side effects here. https://www.drugs.com/sfx/lisinopril-side-effects.html

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Johnwen » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:59 pm

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

ChuckArbogast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ChuckArbogast » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:18 am

Frank51 wrote:Chuck I'm wondering if the lisinopril you're taking is causing the problems you've mentioned. I looked at the side affects of that drug and it could be what's causing your pain.

The link to Lisinopril side effects here. https://www.drugs.com/sfx/lisinopril-side-effects.html

Frank51,
Thanks for that thought. I've thought of that as well. I've researched all of my past and present drugs (Atorvastatin, Metoprolol & Lisinopril) and according to drugs.com, they all have muscle pain as a potential side effect while using. While using those drugs after my heart attack in January 2015, I had constant muscle pain and low pulse (low 50's). Due to that, I convinced my cardiologist at that time to cut my atorvastatin in half to 40mg per day and my metoprolol in half to 50mg per day. In doing that, my muscle pain decreased tremendously and my heart rate got into the upper 50's to low 60's. Since the pain was completely gone and my heart rate wasn't up into the 60's consistently, she agreed to cut those doses in half again (20mg & 25mg) and it didn't seem to help much on the pain front but my pulse was normally in the 60's now. Long story short, I stopped taking the statin but my pain didn't get much better. I then slowly cut back on my metoprolol to zero and I am still having this pain about 2 weeks after me stopping it. So, it could be the lisinopril, however the pain has gotten much worse after stopping the metoprolol and it comes and goes. I have read about rebound effects of beta blockers, so I think that might be the culprit. However, I guess it could be the lisinopril.

Thanks again for your input and sorry for the long post,
Chuck

ChuckArbogast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ChuckArbogast » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:27 am

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Johnwen » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:24 am

research!

ChuckArbogast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ChuckArbogast » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:45 am

Last edited by ChuckArbogast on Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lifeseeker

Post by Lifeseeker » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:20 pm

Withdrawal cold by doctor while in the hospital on metoprolol 125 a day was hell. Extreme pain, muscle spasms, depression , rebound....that's why I'm here. I'm trying to survive, the drugs have been killing me.

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Johnwen » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:56 am

research!

ChuckArbogast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ChuckArbogast » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:16 am

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”