My Journey

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

pamojja
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:44 am

Re: My Journey

Post Number:#31  Post by pamojja » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:48 pm

skwoodwiva wrote:Yes. It is not that objectionable to me. At 2g Niaspan, 1 ea at sunup & dinner.
I find IR at 4 to 5 g with my VC gives the least rush, once I get momentum going...


Slow release niacins, like niaspan, are the ones one has to be cautious about liver damage. At least regularly monitor your liver enzymes and take it once a day only, if you can't take immediate release niacin.

francisunderwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: My Journey

Post Number:#32  Post by francisunderwood » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:55 pm

Has anyone here had issue with teeth by taking powder in water?

skwoodwiva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:24 am

Re: My Journey

Post Number:#33  Post by skwoodwiva » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:34 pm

pamojja wrote:
skwoodwiva wrote:Yes. It is not that objectionable to me. At 2g Niaspan, 1 ea at sunup & dinner.
I find IR at 4 to 5 g with my VC gives the least rush, once I get momentum going...


Slow release niacins, like niaspan, are the ones one has to be cautious about liver damage. At least regularly monitor your liver enzymes and take it once a day only, if you can't take immediate release niacin.

Hmm,
Thanks. I was worried about some of the bad reviews of my Bulk Supplements stash. I may order Pure Bulk.

skwoodwiva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:24 am

Re: My Journey

Post Number:#34  Post by skwoodwiva » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:36 pm

francisunderwood wrote:Has anyone here had issue with teeth by taking powder in water?

There are many here, do not risk it.

pamojja
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:44 am

Re: My Journey

Post Number:#35  Post by pamojja » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:59 pm

francisunderwood wrote:Has anyone here had issue with teeth by taking powder in water?


I'm a special case, and do not know if my experience is applicable to anyone else. At birth suffered pneumonia and was treaded with tetracycline injections. Nowadays they don't do that to new-born upto 2 years anymore, because it causes faulty teeth-development and decay. So it did with me. At my first dentist appointment preschool 7 teeth were pulled (an other thing they don't do anymore). In youth the decay accelerated and was repaired repeatedly again (a mouthful of amalgam..). However, as young adult those teeth repaired just continued to crumble and I gave up on repair. Around 28 years of age I let everything remove what was left - in most cases just black holes. Thereby all amalgams gone again, luckily :D

The 12 teeth left didn't change since then at all, also not since taking daily 23 g ascorbic acid powder in water since 9 years now.

skwoodwiva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:24 am

Re: My Journey

Post Number:#36  Post by skwoodwiva » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:12 am

Thanks pamojja for the testimony!

Update, I started celery seed & olive leaf. In 2 days, heart rate is 57 to 60 & BP is below 101/66, resting. That is from about 68 to 70, & 115 / 75 previously.

ChuckArbogast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:57 am

Re: My Journey

Post Number:#37  Post by ChuckArbogast » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:17 pm

skwoodwiva wrote:Thanks pamojja for the testimony!

Update, I started celery seed & olive leaf. In 2 days, heart rate is 57 to 60 & BP is below 101/66, resting. That is from about 68 to 70, & 115 / 75 previously.

Do you mind sharing what celery seed & olive leaf product you started taking to get those results?

Thanks,
Chuck

skwoodwiva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:24 am

Re: My Journey

Post Number:#38  Post by skwoodwiva » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:49 pm

ChuckArbogast wrote:
skwoodwiva wrote:Thanks pamojja for the testimony!

Update, I started celery seed & olive leaf. In 2 days, heart rate is 57 to 60 & BP is below 101/66, resting. That is from about 68 to 70, & 115 / 75 previously.

Do you mind sharing what celery seed & olive leaf product you started taking to get those results?

Thanks,
Chuck

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/192177941343
About 3 g /d initial dose for loading
Split in 2.

I heard .5 x 3 is plenty

The olive is just Natures Way recommended dose

ChuckArbogast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:57 am

Re: My Journey

Post Number:#39  Post by ChuckArbogast » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:17 am

skwoodwiva wrote:
ChuckArbogast wrote:
skwoodwiva wrote:Thanks pamojja for the testimony!

Update, I started celery seed & olive leaf. In 2 days, heart rate is 57 to 60 & BP is below 101/66, resting. That is from about 68 to 70, & 115 / 75 previously.

Do you mind sharing what celery seed & olive leaf product you started taking to get those results?

Thanks,
Chuck

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/192177941343
About 3 g /d initial dose for loading
Split in 2.

I heard .5 x 3 is plenty

The olive is just Natures Way recommended dose

Thank you for the information.

skwoodwiva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:24 am

Re: My Journey

Post Number:#40  Post by skwoodwiva » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:21 am

Just in case some missed it, my BT is subject to the availability of lysine. The more regular and often the lysine, the greater is my bowel tolerance. By my subjective observations, anyway.

BTW I tore my proximal bicep tendon and have cuff damage.
Getting MRI on monday, anticipate surgery ASAP. :roll:
It is from bitting off more than I should have working HVAC.

skwoodwiva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:24 am

Re: My Journey

Post Number:#41  Post by skwoodwiva » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:45 am

pamojja wrote:
Since many years I'm posting this one odd study, also here at vitamin C foundation repeatedly, to point out that any more than 1.5 mg/dl is NOT peed out. It only has been so assumed, but never actually measured as in this one study. But it seems nobody is even listening:


Journal of the New Zealand Medical Association, 23-August-2002, Vol 115 No 1160

Glycohaemoglobin and ascorbic acid

Copplestone et al1 (http://www.nzma.org....al/115-1157/25/) identified misleading glycohaemoglobin (GHb) results due to a haemoglobin variant (Hb D Punjab) and listed a number of other possible causes for such false results (ie, haemolytic anaemia, uraemia, lead poisoning, alcoholism, high-dose salicylates and hereditary persistence of foetal haemoglobin).

We have observed a significant "false" lowering of GHb in animals and humans supplementing ascorbic acid (AA) at multigram levels. Mice receiving ~7.5 mg/d (equivalent to > 10 g/day in a 70 kg human) exhibited no decrease in plasma glucose, but a 23% reduction in GHb.2 In humans, supplementation of AA for several months did not lower fasting plasma glucose.3,4 We studied 139 consecutive consenting non-diabetic patients in an oncology clinic. The patients had been encouraged as part of their treatment to supplement AA. Self-reported daily intake varied from 0 to 20 g/day. The plasma AA levels ranged from 11.4 to 517 µmol/L and correlated well with the reported intake. Regression analysis of their GHb and plasma AA values showed a statistically significant inverse association (eg, each 30 µmol/L increase in plasma AA concentration resulted in a decrease of 0.1 in GHb).

A 1 g oral dose of AA can raise plasma AA to 130 µmol/L within an hour and such doses at intervals of about two hours throughout the day can maintain ~230 µmol AA/L.5 Similar levels could also be achieved by use of sustained-release AA tablets. This AA concentration would induce an approximate 0.7 depression in GHb. The GHb assay used in our study, affinity chromatography, is not affected by the presence of AA.3 Thus, unlike the case with Hb D Punjab, our results were not caused by analytical method artifact. More likely, the decreased GHb associated with AA supplementation appears related to an in vivo inhibition of glycation by the elevated plasma AA levels, and not a decrease in average plasma glucose.3 If this is true, the effect has implications not only for interpretation of GHb but also for human ageing, in which glycation of proteins plays a prominent role in age-related degenerative changes.

A misleading GHb lowering of the magnitude we observed can be clinically significant. Current recommendations for diabetics suggest that GHb be maintained at 7, a level that is associated with acceptable control and decreased risk of complications; when GHb exceeds 8, re-evaluation of treatment is necessary.6 Moreover, relatively small increases in average blood sugar (ie, GHb) can accompany adverse reproductive effects. A difference in mean maternal GHb of 0.8 was found for women giving birth to infants without or with congenital malformations.7 In either of these circumstances, an underestimation of GHb could obscure the need for more aggressive intervention.

Vitamin usage is common in New Zealand and after multivitamins, AA is the most often consumed supplement.8 Moreover, diabetics are encouraged to supplement antioxidants, including AA. Thus, it seems prudent for primary care health providers to inquire regarding the AA intake of patients, especially diabetics, when using GHb for diagnosis or treatment monitoring.

Cheryl A Krone
Senior Research Scientist
John TA Ely
Director
Applied Research Institute
PO Box 1925
Palmerston North

References:

Copplestone S, Mackay R, Brennan S. Normal glycated haemoglobin in a patient with poorly controlled diabetes mellitus and haemoglobin D Punjab: implications for assessment of control. NZ Med J 2002;115(1157). URL: http://www.nzma.org....al/115-1157/25/
Krone CA, Ely JTA. Vitamin C and glycohemoglobin revisited. Clin Chem 2001;47(1):148.
Davie SJ, Gould BJ, Yudkin JS. Effect of vitamin C on glycosylation of proteins. Diabetes 1992;41(2):167–73.
Paolisso G, Balbi V, Bolpe C, et al. Metabolic benefits deriving from chronic vitamin C supplementation in aged non-insulin dependent diabetics. J Am Coll Nutr 1995; 14(4):387–392.
Lewin S. Vitamin C: Its Molecular Biology and Medical Potential. New York: Academic Press; 1976.
Kenealey T, Braatvedt G, Scragg R. Screening for type 2 diabetes in non-pregnant adults in New Zealand: practice recommendations. NZ Med J 2002;115(1152):194–6.
Rosenn B, Miodovnik M, Dignan PS, et al. Minor congenital malformation in infants of insulin-dependent diabetic women: association with poor glycemic control. Obstet Gynecol 1990;76:745–9.
Allen T, Thomson WM, Emmerton LM, Poulton R. Nutritional supplement use among 26-year-olds. N Z Med J 2000;113(1113):274–7.


To repeat:

The plasma AA levels ranged from 11.4 to 517 µmol/L and correlated well with the reported intake. ..varied from 0 to 20 g/day.

In other words plasma AA levels ranged from 0,2 to 9,1 mg/dl and correlated well with self-reported intake from 0 to 20 g/d. (devide by 56,78 from µmol/L to mg/dl)

skwoodwiva, your AA plasma levels are to be expected, and those calling you a mutant obviously don't read what has been posted on this forum already multiple times. I'm loosing my patience...

Johnwen posted this in another thread.
https://firstlaw.wordpress.com/2012/12/ ... -it-wrong/
This is an amazing article.

In the quote above:
While the link to the NZ study is broken, the complete link is "404" now.
I found this similar study using much less VC which is strange indeed/rather wonder why the older one is gone?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7729050
This quote has a relation to the first link blood concentration.

Maybe pamojja or others have the original PDF?
Last edited by skwoodwiva on Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

francisunderwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: My Journey

Post Number:#42  Post by francisunderwood » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:34 pm

skwoodwiva wrote:Just in case some missed it, my BT is subject to the availability of lysine. The more regular and often the lysine, the greater is my bowel tolerance. By my subjective observations, anyway.

BTW I tore my proximal bicep tendon and have cuff damage.
Getting MRI on monday, anticipate surgery ASAP. :roll:
It is from bitting off more than I should have working HVAC.


Good luck, hope its not as bad as you think.

skwoodwiva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:24 am

Re: My Journey

Post Number:#43  Post by skwoodwiva » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:56 pm

francisunderwood wrote:
skwoodwiva wrote:Just in case some missed it, my BT is subject to the availability of lysine. The more regular and often the lysine, the greater is my bowel tolerance. By my subjective observations, anyway.

BTW I tore my proximal bicep tendon and have cuff damage.
Getting MRI on monday, anticipate surgery ASAP. :roll:
It is from bitting off more than I should have working HVAC.


Good luck, hope its not as bad as you think.

Thank you for asking about it.
It is worse. The long head, not the proximal, appears to be severed & retracted the MRI report says. Yet my referral ortho says surgery is not a direction he wants to go in.
So a second opinion is needed or living with a weaker right, my handed, arm. I would have the proximal tendon only. KP is not the best of care nor are fair second opinions easy to come by.

skwoodwiva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:24 am

Re: My Journey

Post Number:#44  Post by skwoodwiva » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:09 pm

I am experiencing the benefits of capsaicin!
5 to 8 Jalapenos a day. As well as much cayenne as I can sprinkle. This really increases my now diminishing bladder holding abilities.
I have been on a really hot diet for only a week.
I find also if I tolerate the heat in my mouth I do not experience the burning in my BMs. While if I "hide" the heat from my mouth (pills) my body adapts poorly & I do get burning below...


What I thought was swelling from CHF in my left ankle only. Turns out to be venous insufficiency due the saphenous vein being used in my CABG. About which, a Futuro open toe/heel 20-30 stocking does wonders. The right has no swelling.
Last edited by skwoodwiva on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 569
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:17 am

Re: My Journey

Post Number:#45  Post by zarfas » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:41 pm

skwoodwiva wrote:What I thought was swelling from CHF in my left ankle only. Turns out to be venous insufficiency due the saphenous vein being used in my CABG. About which, a Futuro open toe/heel 20-30 stocking does wonders. The right has no swelling.


I had someone, who had a Lymphadenectomy, (also called lymph node dissection, is a surgical procedure in which lymph glands are removed from the body and examined for the presence of cancerous cells).
in her left arm because she had a lump removed in her breast

because of her lymphpathic issues, her arm would swell up occasionally, this happened a lot when she would eat a high fat diet, as the lymphatic system carries fat in it and I thought osmotic pressure would cause her arm to swell when she ate a lot of fat

YES
so now, she eats a low fat diet and when she does get swelling, she has eaten a lot of fat

i wonder if a low fat diet or one high in plants(nitrates to increase nitrix oxide-->dialation of blood vessals) wouold help you

here's an article about beniefts of plants in your diet to increase Nitrix Oxide

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/90/1/1.full
Food sources of nitrates and nitrites: the physiologic context for potential health benefits1,2,3

Norman G Hord, Yaoping Tang, and Nathan S Bryan

1From the Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI (NGH); the Brown Foundation Institute of Molecular Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, TX (YT and NSB); and The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences at Houston, Houston, TX (NSB).


Return to “Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest