what is the best test to see if pauling therapy is working?

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

what is the best test to see if pauling therapy is working?

Post Number:#1  Post by zarfas » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:12 am

what is the best test to see if I have heart diease? Calcium score? lp(a) test? something else?

I think Lp(a) test as no Radiation and so I can see if pauling therapy is working..
right??

I thought a calcium score was the standard

-The coronary artery calcium score is a measurement of the amount of calcium in the walls of the arteries that supply your heart muscle, using a special computed tomography (CT) scan of your heart. It shows the amount of hardening of the artery wall (a disease called atherosclerosis) that you have

but maybe a simple Lp(a) test, NO RADIATION, is better
A new study has found that when added to a traditional lipid panel – a blood test that measures lipids – measurements of apparently healthy patients' blood levels of LP(a) can help doctors more accurately predict the patient's risk of developing heart disease over the next 15 years
--cleavland clinic
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2014 ... ease-risk/

http://www.lipoproteinafoundation.org/? ... erstandlpa
Lipoprotein(a), is a particle in your blood which carries cholesterol, fats and proteins. The amount your body makes is inherited from one or both parents and is determined by the genes passed on from your parent(s) when you are born. It does not change very much during your lifetime except if you are a women, levels increase as the natural estrogen level declines with menopause. Diet and exercise seems to have little to no impact on the lipoprotein(a) level.

A simple blood test can measure your Lp(a) level; however, it is not included in most standard cholesterol or lipid panels. Unfortunately, not all insurance companies cover testing for Lp(a) at this time so check with your insurance company or provider.

Levels of Lp(a) are reported in different units, either mg/dL or nmols/L. A normal level is less than 30 mg/dL or less than 75 nmols/L. Levels higher than this are associated with an increased risk of heart attack, stroke, or narrowed arteries supplying blood to vital organs, often at an early age (younger than 55 in men and 65 in women). Your doctor or nurse cannot tell you have high Lp(a) by examining you.

Reasons an Lp(a) test may be right for you. Ask your nurse or doctor if you have questions:

You or a family member have had a heart attack or stroke at an early age including circulation trouble in the legs and/or narrowing of the aorta. For men it would be younger than 55 years of age and women less than 65 years of age.

Someone in your family has high Lp(a). If an adult has high Lp(a), their children have a 1 in 2 chance of inheriting it.

Heart attack or stroke with no other known risk factors such as smoking, high LDL or “bad” cholesterol, diabetes or obesity. An estimated 50% of people who have heart attacks have normal levels of LDL-cholesterol.

High LDL-cholesterol levels even while taking statins or other LDL lowering medications.

Having FH, Familial Hypercholesterolemia, an inherited condition of very high LDL cholesterol levels.

A high level of Lp(a) is a genetic condition. As a result, when one person is diagnosed with high Lp(a) it is important to also test other blood-related family members including parents, siblings (brothers and sisters) and children.

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: what is the best test to see if pauling therapy is working?

Post Number:#2  Post by Johnwen » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:54 pm

what is the best test to see if I have heart diease? Calcium score? lp(a) test? something else?

You do mean Disease? Right!

Echocardiogram would get you the best non-invasive, non radioactive idea of the overall function of the heart especially in relation to blood flow! If there’s no physical symptoms before the test, it would be the best route. It also can show if there is any stenosis within the heart!

Coronary computed tomography angiography which they inject iodine contrast to look for blockages! Would be a radioactive test but gives some very impressive images of the heart. Aka: CCTA

If something don’t look right with the CCTA a angiogram which is an invasive and radioactive test where they can get a better look at a suspected problem area would be the next step.

If there’s no abnormality the echo would be best. However if a patient is showing symptoms like chest pain, shortness of breath etc. it would be a angiogram from the get go!
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#3  Post by zarfas » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:31 pm

Johnwen wrote:

You do mean Disease? Right!

Echocardiogram would get you the best non-invasive, non radioactive idea of the overall function of the heart especially in relation to blood flow! If there’s no physical symptoms before the test, it would be the best route. It also can show if there is any stenosis within the heart!

Coronary computed tomography angiography which they inject iodine contrast to look for blockages! Would be a radioactive test but gives some very impressive images of the heart. Aka: CCTA

If something don’t look right with the CCTA a angiogram which is an invasive and radioactive test where they can get a better look at a suspected problem area would be the next step.

If there’s no abnormality the echo would be best. However if a patient is showing symptoms like chest pain, shortness of breath etc. it would be a angiogram from the get go!

thanks
I mean, someone who has no symptoms of anything, (maybe high BP) wouldnt an lp(a) test be a start?
then if that is low, no worries
But if it's high, then start pauling therapy
I dont know how high the lp(a) test would have to be before you did some CCTA or scans, but Id think an Lp(a) blood test would be a great start

on a tangent, DR levey talks about the big 4..1 vit C, 2 vit K2, 3 Magnesium 4 vit D
and My dad has afib,and his MD has him on solatol and told him because of the Solatol, he cannot take magnessium pills

but MG has so many functions in the body, like lowering BP,,t helps to maintain normal nerve and muscle function, supports a healthy immune system, keeps the heart beat steady, and helps bones remain strong. It also helps regulate blood glucose levels and aid in the production of energy and protein

and yes, my dad, BMI 25 is diabetic
so he I feel he needs MG and was curious about your thoughts?

Joanna45
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#4  Post by Joanna45 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:58 am

Zafras
I use a private lab because my doc will not order it and the cost is quite reasonable I paid 47 dollars for a Lipoprotein a test mine was 12 mg/dL

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#5  Post by zarfas » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:40 am

Joanna45 wrote:Zafras
I use a private lab because my doc will not order it and the cost is quite reasonable I paid 47 dollars for a Lipoprotein a test mine was 12 mg/dL

that's great news

I believe the range for Lp(a) is:
Desirable: < 14 mg/dL (< 35 nmol/l)
Borderline risk: 14 – 30 mg/dL (35 – 75 nmol/l)
High risk: 31 – 50 mg/dL (75 – 125 nmol/l)
Very high risk: > 50 mg/dL (> 125 nmol/l)

I think this is the first step to determiing if you have Heart diease
I wish we had a flow chart to know what to do if the Lp(a) is abot 14mg/dl

Like above 14 --> then we do Pauling therapy,get to lose bodyfat(bmi 25) and then what if LPa doesnt drop?

take niacin? do what exactly?

Return to “Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”