Best Product to Lower Cholesterol

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Best Product to Lower Cholesterol

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:46 am

I Just implemented autoship on Ascorcine-9 and made initial purchase of VCF Ascorbade. My question: To reduce total cholesterol 282, LDL 191, HDL 64, do I have the best combination of products? and if not, please suggest those that would produce fastest results, and the dosage(s).

I've been cautioned (lay people) that too much vitamin C thickens arteries, and I've also read that there is no evidence, if this were the case, of heart attacks, strokes, etc., which there surely would have been.

I've used Tower Heart Technology products in the past -- made the mistake of not continuing on. There is no Vitamin C out there that compares.

Thanks,
Ms. F. G.

Your cholesterol numbers indicate to me that you are not taking the optimal amount of vitamin C. Each serving of A-9 provides 3000 mg and each serving of Ascorbade provides 4000 mg of vitamin C as ascorbic acid.

While I might cut those serving sizes in half, and take twice as frequently, I'd also consider adding some vitamin C in between. Optimally, 500 mg or 1 g every 4 hours between servings.

I take around 20,000 mg of vitamin C daily (mostly ascorbic acid). My total cholesterol is below 160 mg/dl, which is a little scary (low) but I feel fine.

The more you take and tolerate, the faster your cholesterol will come down.

As far as "thickening" the arteries, tell your friends that is exactly what you want - from increased collagen, not from plaque. The USC story made news, but they were not measuring narrowing - just arterial thickness.

Read Thomas Levy's STOP AMERICA'S #1 KILLER livonbooks.com to understand
why thicker arteries are what you want (less chance of rupturing leading to a clot and/or heart attack)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Mito-Gold

Post Number:#2  Post by Ralph Lotz » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:04 pm

The best supplement that I have found that lowers cholesterol is Mito-Gold.
It is one of the few supplements that contains delta tocotrienols:

Delta Tocotrienol

Tocotrienols belong to the Vitamin E family of compounds, containing four tocopherols and four tocotrienols, each with the designation of alpha, beta, gamma, and delta.

For antioxidant, cholesterol lowering, the prevention and/or treatment of cardiovascular disease and anti-cancer effects, the tocotrienols (T3s), especially delta-tocotrienol (delta T3) exert the most significant effects. (1)

Tocotrienols are more valuable than tocopherols in protecting the interior cell membranes, such as those that surround the cell nucleus and mitochondria, because of their greater ease in being incorporated into cellular membranes. (1, 2)

Of all forms of tocotrienols, delta-tocotrienol has proven to be by far the most powerful antioxidant of the entire vitamin E family.

delta T3 is more effective at accumulating in cells compared to other tocotrienols and the most effective member of the vitamin E family for reducing endothelial expression of adhesion molecules, thereby preventing the accumulation of inflammatory cells within the arterial wall. (3, 3a)

delta T3 is the most potent tocotrienol to activate anticancer effects and in inducing apoptosis (cell deaths) of human breast cancer cells. (4-6)

delta T3 inhibits the excessive aggregation of blood platelets much more effectively than vitamin E or other tocotrienols.

delta T3 has been shown to offer dramatic cholesterol lowering when it is taken in isolated form, without tocopherols present.

delta T3 inhibits the liver enzyme HMG-CoA reductase - the same enzyme inhibited by the statin drugs and red yeast rice. (7)

delta T3 significantly lowers triglyceride levels, reverse insulin resistance and decreases C-reactive protein

(a risk index for cardiovascular inflammation). (8)

delta T3 lowers both cardiovascular risk and metabolic syndrome risk ratios.

delta T3 increases the body\'s endogenous CoQ10. (9)
"Unless we put medical freedom into the constitution...medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship..force people who wish doctors and treatment of their own choice to submit to only what..dictating outfit offers." Dr. Benjamin Rush

J.Lilinoe

Post Number:#3  Post by J.Lilinoe » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:32 am

delta T3 inhibits the liver enzyme HMG-CoA reductase - the same enzyme inhibited by the statin drugs and red yeast rice. (7)

Oh no, :( wouldn't this start the chain reaction of adverse side effects just like statin drugs?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Good point

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:14 am

This leads us back to an old conversation - why doesn't vitamin C harm us by inhibiting HMG CoA reductase? If the facts that Ralph lists are correct, then the answer is that this does not inhibit CoQ10, but instead promotes it.

The question is how?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

BaronZemo
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Re: Mito-Gold

Post Number:#5  Post by BaronZemo » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:15 pm

Ralph Lotz wrote:The best supplement that I have found that lowers cholesterol is Mito-Gold.
. (9)

whats the best supplement to lower blood pressure?

journeys

niacin

Post Number:#6  Post by journeys » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:25 pm

I find that niacin is best for lowering my cholesterol.

BaronZemo
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Re: niacin

Post Number:#7  Post by BaronZemo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:31 am

journeys wrote:I find that niacin is best for lowering my cholesterol.

How much do you take? How much has it lowered your cholesterol? from what to what?

journeys

niacin

Post Number:#8  Post by journeys » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:23 pm

I take anywhere from 1250mg-1750mg/day. My HDL usually is .95mm, with niacin it raises to 1.45mm, or higher.
LDL is usually 5.2mm, drops tp 3.5mm, overall ratio/factor is under 5, which is around 7.
Last edited by journeys on Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

journeys

Post Number:#9  Post by journeys » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:25 pm

double post

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Why lower cholesterol?

Post Number:#10  Post by Ralph Lotz » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:35 pm

People with the highest cholesterol live the longest!
"Unless we put medical freedom into the constitution...medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship..force people who wish doctors and treatment of their own choice to submit to only what..dictating outfit offers." Dr. Benjamin Rush

joiv
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Re: Good point

Post Number:#11  Post by joiv » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:03 am

Vitamin C also increases breakdown of cholesterol in the liver. If vitamin C inhibits HMG CoA reductase, it may be that it is a very weak inhibition or it may be that it does so to a certain degree depending on/and/or under certain conditions.
Bowel Tolerance: Approximately 30 grams – Prefers pure ascorbic acid.

Jan

Re: Best Product to Lower Cholesterol

Post Number:#12  Post by Jan » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:15 am

Ralph Lotz.

Could you please give me the references you use in your post of Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:04 pm?

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#13  Post by Ralph Lotz » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:05 am

Tocotrienols

1. Tocotrienol: a review of its therapeutic potential.
Theriault A, Chao JT, Wang Q, Gapor A, Adeli K. Clin Biochem 1999;32:309-19.

2. Pharmacokinetics and bioavailability of alpha-, gamma- and delta-tocotrienols under different food status.
Yap SP, Yuen KH, Wong JW.J Pharm Pharmacol 2001;53:67-71.

3. Dietary Alpha-Tocopherol Attenuates the Impact of Gamma-Tocotrienol on HMG -CoA Reductase Activity in Chickens. Qureshi, A. A. , Pearce, B. C.et al. J. Nutr. 126: 389-394, 1996.

4. Hypocholesterolemic Activity of Synthetic and Natural Tocotrienols.
Pearce, B.C., Parker, R.A.et al. J. Med. Chem. 35: 3595-3606, 1992.

5. Dose-dependent suppression of serum cholesterol by tocotrienol-rich fraction (TRF25) of rice bran in hypercholesterolemic humans. Qureshi AA, SamiSA, Salser WA , Khan FA. Atherosclerosis 2002;161:199-207.

5a. Supplementation with 3 compositionally different tocotrienol supplements does not improve cardiovascular disease risk factors in men and women with hypercholesterolemia.
Mustad VA, Smith CA, Ruey PP, Edens NK, DeMichele SJ . Am J Clin Nutr 2002;76:1237-43.

5b. Synergistic effect of tocotrienol-rich fraction (TRF(25)) of rice bran and lovastatin on lipid parameters in hypercholesterolemic humans. Qureshi AA, Sami SA, Salser WA, Khan FA. J Nutr Biochem 2001;12:318-329.

5c. A vitamin E concentrate rich in tocotrienols had no effect on serum lipids, lipoproteins, or platelet function in men with mildly elevated serum lipid concentrations.
Mensink RP, van Houwelingen AC, Kromhout D, Hornstra G. Am J Clin Nutr 1999;69:213-9.

5d. Response of hypercholesterolemic subjects to administration of tocotrienols.
Qureshi AA, Bradlow BA, Brace L, et al. Lipids 1995;30:1171-7.

6. Tocotrienol is the most effective vitamin E for reducing endothelial expression of adhesion molecules and adhesion to monocytes. Theriault A, Chao JT, Gapor A, et al. Atherosclerosis 2002:160:21-30.

7. Induction of Apoptosis in Human Breast Cancer Cells by Tocopherols and Tocotrienols.
Yu, W., Simmons-Menchana, M., Gapor, A., Sanders, B. G. Kline , K.Nutr. Cancer 33:26-32, 1999.

7a. Phase I study of lovastatin, an inhibitor of the mevalonate pathway, in patients with cancer.
Thibault, A., Samid, D., Tompkins, A., Figg, W., et al. Clin. Can. Res. 2: 483-491, 1996.

8. Inhibition of proliferation of estrogen receptor-negative MDA -MB-435 and -positive MCF-7 human breast cancer cells by palm oil tocotrienols and tamoxifen, alone and in combination.
Guthrie N, Gapor A, Chambers AF, Carroll KK. J Nutr 1997;127:544S-548S.

9. Role of Tocotrienols in the Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease and Breast Cancer.
Sylvester, P. W., Theriault, A. Curr. Topics in Nutra. Res. 1:121-136, 2003.

10. Antiproliferative and apoptotic effects of tocopherols and tocotrienols on preneoplastic and neoplastic mouse mammary epithelial cells. McIntyre BS, Briski KP, Gapor A, Sylvester PW. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 2000 Sep;224(4):292-301.

11. Effect of tocotrienol on estrogen metabolism in MCF-7 and mDA-MB-231 human breast cancer cell lines.
McIntyre BS, Briski KP, Gapor A, Sylvester PW. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 2000 Sep;224(4):292-301.

11a. Efficacy of Topically Applied Tocopherols and Tocotrienols in Protection of Murine Skin From Oxidative Damage Induced by UV-irradiation. Weber, C., Podda, M., et al. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 22(5): 761-769, 1997.

11b. Diet derived topically applied tocotrienols accumulate in skin and protect the tissue against uv light-induced oxidative stress. Traber, MG., Podda, N., Weber, C., et al. Asia Pacific J. Clin. Nutr. 6: 63-67, 1997.

12. Palm-tocotrienol Rich Fraction (TRF) Is a More Effective Inhibitor of LDL Oxidation and Endothelial Cell Lipid Peroxidation than a-tocopherol In Vitro. Sokhini, M., Mutalib, A., et al. Food Research Internal 36: 405-413, 2003Â

13. Inhibitory Effect of Delta-Tocotrienol, a HMG CoA Reductase Inhibitor, on Monocyte-Endo Thelial Cell Adhesion.
Chao, J.T., Gapor, A., Theriault, A., J. Nutr . Sci. Vitaminol 48:332-337, 2002.

14. Antioxidants Modulate the Course of Carotid Atherosclerosis: A Four-Year Report. Kooyenga, D., et al.
Micronutrients and Health. Molecular and Biological Mechanisms by Nesaretnam and Packer. AOCS Press 366-375, 2001

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#14  Post by Ralph Lotz » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:53 am

The best supplements to lower blood pressure are:
Fish or Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin D3, Magnesium, B6, Vitamin C and NAC (N-Acetylcysteine)

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”