Elevated Cholesterol

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ascorbicjoe
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Elevated Cholesterol

Post Number:#1  Post by ascorbicjoe » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:52 am

I take 12-15 grams of VC and take other supplements, daily.

My question is how concerned should I be with a 219 total count with a 568 triglycerides count. I feel great. I do need more exercise and to cut some calories, but if the Vitamin C theory is correct what does cholesterol levels really mean? This was not a fasting count though, it came from a sample mid afternoon. Is a non-fasting test worthwhile?

My diet includes a lot of fruit, but I do not shy away from meat, butter or eggs. I will need to cut back on those most for calorie reduction, but see margarine to be filled with artificial ingredients. I do not wish to become a vegetarian and I can only eat so much chicken.

Dolev
quack
quack

Re: Elevated Cholesterol

Post Number:#2  Post by Dolev » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:24 am

Your cholesterol level is perfectly normal. It's only recently that the recommendation to lower it below 200 was invented from nothing. What's the ratio of LDL to HDL? The triglyceride level is very high. I suggest taking several omega-3 capsules. If you take about 2500-3000 mg a day of total EPA and DHA from fish oil, you probably will see your Tg level drop by about a third within 3 months.
Dolev

ascorbicjoe
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#3  Post by ascorbicjoe » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:51 am

I take 2 grams O-3 fish oil and 2.6g flax oil, daily. I did drink several beers the night before. I've read that alcohol can great affect your blood triglyceride levels.

The test was just a common blood test done without fasting as part of a routine physical, so I do not think it was a full workup, just a screening test. That was all the information they gave me. The doctor wants to have me do a fasting test in 6 months, so he must not think it is life threatening at this very moment. It is more of a wait and see. My earlier tests for other years have always been okay. Could it be a fluke, too?

Seymore Spectacles

Post Number:#4  Post by Seymore Spectacles » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:57 am

ascorbicjoe,

I agree with Dolev about the fish oil. And I think your idea about increasing your exercise is also wise. But, with readings as high as yours (re: triglycerides) ... you'll likely need to modify your diet. And by that, I don't mean lowering caloric intake.

Meat, eggs and butter are not your problem. Too many carbs are the problem.

Try cutting out any fruit juice, soda, chips, deserts, refined flour products (breads, crackers, cereals ... eat truly whole-grain products if you must) and avoid high-glycemic fruits as well. At the same time, consider increasing your intake of non-starchy vegetables and natural nuts.

Another tip might be to switch from traditional eggs to omega-3 rich eggs and switching from standard butter to organic, grass-fed butter (available at some health food stores).

Diet + fish oil + exercise = lower triglycerides. A low-fat, high carb diet is disasterous when it comes to high triglycerides.

ascorbicjoe
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#5  Post by ascorbicjoe » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:36 pm

I was wondering about the carbs, I have friends who really are into the Atkins style diet and they seem to do very well.

I will not be able to do organic butter, it is just too expensive. It is nearly 3 times the cost. I really feel cutting calories is all I need, but I need to cut it from the right group. I eat fruits, vegetables, nuts, whole grain. I do eat bread everyday. I eat a varied diet with meals made by myself.

So, do you think a strong effort to reduce sugar and starches would be a good place to start. If, I cut my breads, potatoes and such, I will be left pretty much with a diet of meat, vegetables, fruit and nuts. That should result in a large calorie reduction, too.

It is funny that I get this result now, when my diet is better than several years ago when I lived on fast food.

Seymore Spectacles

Post Number:#6  Post by Seymore Spectacles » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:37 pm

Yes, I do think a dietary shift (to a lower glycemic/carb diet) will help lower your triglycerides ... most likely, in a dramatic fashion and relatively quickly too. And, here's some more good news ... it'll also help you to utilize your vitamin C more effectively ... as C and sugar don't mix well.

Here's a link to a recent column that Dr. Michael Eades devoted to this issue:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/card ... nsumption/

Also, fish oil is far more effective than flax oil for this purpose. You may want to switch to exclusively using fish oil.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2008/ ... h-oil.html

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#7  Post by Dolev » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:41 pm

meat, vegetables, fruit and nuts may in general be a good diet. You probably don't have to be crazy about it. Sounds like the only reason to worry is the Tgs, since you witness that you feel great. Are you overweight? When you say 2000 mg of fish oil, is that total omega-3, or total EPA + DHA? Most brands will say, for example, 1000 mg omega3, but then say 180 EPA and 120 DHA, giving only 300 mg of what really matters. Two of these will not be enough.
Dolev

ascorbicjoe
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#8  Post by ascorbicjoe » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:57 pm

Thank you for all of advice. Again, I have to keep resisting the mainstream thoughts on this topic. My carbs will be reduced, I will have to rethink my meal planning a bit.

Are the starchy vegetables and grains completely evil? How about steel cut oats for breakfast?

I guess I will need to research a lot regarding this change. I just wish the food prices were not as high. Eating more produce will raise my family's food expenses. Bread is relatively cheap and can fill out a meal. I was eating rice, but that must be a no-no, too.
Last edited by ascorbicjoe on Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seymore Spectacles

Post Number:#9  Post by Seymore Spectacles » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:24 pm

I think it depends on which starchy veggies - to some degree. I think potatoes aren't very good choices, for instance. Sweet potatoes would be a better choice (or less evil :wink: ). In my home, we make mock-mashed potatoes with cauliflower or celery root. It helps to replace mashed potatoes

I'm not a fan of rice (from a nutritional standpoint). But, if you can't give it up, go for unprossessed brown rice.

Steel cut oats are at least minimally processed - which is a good thing. They're rich in fiber which helps to blunt their glycemic impact. If you add some cinnamon to the mix it may further lower their effect on your blood sugar.

I understand that price is a factor. And, to be fully upfront, a lower-carb diet is typically more expensive than other (higher carb options). In the lower-carb diet, you omit many of the fillers (like rice and bread) and focus on more nutrient-dense foods ... which, unfortunately are more expensive.

There are ways of lowering the cost however. Buying frozen veggies, buying less-fancy cuts of meat, etc. But, all-in-all, it will likely be more expensive. Eating healthfully almost always is more expensive ... unless you grow and raise the food yourself.

It's possible that you can find a happy-medium. Make some healthier dietary choices, take more fish oil, exercise more and see where that gets you.

Here's a list of lower-sugar fruits:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whatto ... tfruit.htm

And a list of lower-glycemic veggies:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whatto ... hatveg.htm

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”