I need help understanding this...

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

HAdriven

I need help understanding this...

Post Number:#1  Post by HAdriven » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:23 am

In late April, I had the following cholesterol numbers:

Cholesterol = 237
Trigs = 1359 <--yup, that high
HDL = 30
VLDL = 272
LDL = Not calculable.

So, I went low carb, started exercising and added supplements-- mostly based on Pauling's therapy (6-18g of C, L-lysine & L-proline) with added Omega 3s and Niacin.

I'm also on Crestor and Tricor.

In 7 weeks, my numbers were as follows:

Cholesterol = 129
Trigs = 97
HDL = 41
VLDL = 19
LDL = 69

I expected some improvement, but these numbers shocked me.

Could they be wrong? Are they now too low? Is this even possible with *any* approach in seven weeks?

traderrob

Re: I need help understanding this...

Post Number:#2  Post by traderrob » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:25 pm

All may be accurate, unfortunately none are determinate or neccessarily preventative of heart disease.

HAdriven

Post Number:#3  Post by HAdriven » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:38 pm

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I wasn't asking what those numbers meant with respect to my coronary risk. I'm clear that NOTHING is determinative.

But I am wondering whether the dramatic swing my numbers produced is even possible or just likely represent a testing error.

Incidentally, I had my Lipo (a) tested and the number came in at 51 nmol/L.

Has anyone else experienced such a dramatic improvement in their numbers such as the ones I experienced?

DanSco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#4  Post by DanSco » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:19 pm

I don't consider the numbers you posted to be an 'improvement'.
You went from slightly high to dangerously low.
I would rather be at 237 than 129.
-DanSco

Note: I am not a doctor nor do I pretend to be one on the internet. Do not duplicate what I do without a pat on the head from your doctor and a note from your mommy.

HAdriven

Post Number:#5  Post by HAdriven » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:11 pm

Yes, I'm concerned about the low number now too.

I called the Dr's office today to reassert my concerns and all I got was *crickets*...

Basically, I'm being told to wait another 60 days and retest.

Do you think the numbers are too dangerous to wait for a second round of tests in 60 days? If so, I'm not even sure what I should do differently. Because I've taken a shotgun approach, I'm not really sure what contributed most to the decrease. Could be the drugs, the supplements, or the diet...

*sigh*

BIOHazard87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#6  Post by BIOHazard87 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:50 pm

I would stop the Crestor and Tricor, not needed. Cholesterol lowering drugs are bad and unneeded.
Owen wrote:Well, Your doctor learns what he thinks he knows from drug companies.

DanSco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#7  Post by DanSco » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:01 am

BIOHazard87 wrote:I would stop the Crestor and Tricor, not needed. Cholesterol lowering drugs are bad and unneeded.

I agree. It is best to gradually reduce the drugs. Suggest cutting to half a dose for a week, then doing the half dose every other day before stopping.
-DanSco

Note: I am not a doctor nor do I pretend to be one on the internet. Do not duplicate what I do without a pat on the head from your doctor and a note from your mommy.

traderrob

Post Number:#8  Post by traderrob » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:51 am

Cholesterol = 129
Trigs = 97
HDL = 41
VLDL = 19
LDL = 69

As I said I totally believe these could be accurate. My Doctor put me on statins after a stent implanted with a cholesterol of 194 and my home test gave me a tot C of <80 1 week later with a LDL of 60. Needless to say I'm off the statins. TRG are more a function of diet so I suspect you've made some modifications in that regard.

J.Lilinoe

Post Number:#9  Post by J.Lilinoe » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:15 pm

But I am wondering whether the dramatic swing my numbers produced is even possible or just likely represent a testing error.

Yes, when you take statins the swing in numbers ARE dramatic. I took red yeast rice for one month 3 years ago and my total cholesterol fell within the normal range from 230 to 190. But my liver enzymes went up. It was still within the normal range but at the high end and that really bothered me so I stopped taking RYR for good. I refuse to stress my liver out unnecessarily.

J.Lilinoe

Post Number:#10  Post by J.Lilinoe » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:18 pm

BTW, Crestor gives the most DRAMATIC results including DRAMATIC side effects I am told. BEWARE!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#11  Post by ofonorow » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:55 am

Interesting. (The docs I know would consider this report a hoax). I would wonder if perhaps they mixed up your blood with someone else. Have you considered a home cholesterol monitor?

Do you think the numbers are too dangerous to wait for a second round of tests in 60 days? If so, I'm not even sure what I should do differently.

You are doing the RIGHT think with the vitamin C/lysine and proline.

You are not doing the right thing, in my opinion, by taking Crestor and that other drug.

If both these sets of numbers are correct, they would tend to confirm my opinion.

Please keep us informed.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#12  Post by Dolev » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:21 pm

About the low cholesterol numbers, I don't think there is immediate danger. I've seen people with numbers like that for a half year or so with no obvious problems. I agree with reducing the statins over time until eliminating them.
Dolev

HAdriven

Post Number:#13  Post by HAdriven » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:36 pm

ofonorow wrote:Have you considered a home cholesterol monitor?

LOL.

Almost within minutes of my original post, I researched it and bought one. :lol:

I finally tested what would represent 7 days after my second set of tests.

The numbers became as follows:

Cholesterol = 178
Trigs = 78
HDL = 39
VLDL = 16
LDL = 123

So while they slid into the other direction seven days later, I think they tend to at least confirm the accuracy of the second round of tests. (Honestly, I began being less disciplined about my afternoon and evening round of supplements that week, so I attribute the slight changes to that.)

Now that I have my own monitor, I intend to test every week. For the next two, I will change nothing about my protocol- meds, supps, diet or exercise. Thereafter, I will begin tweaking to determine the relative contribution of what I am doing to land on my final protocol. I'd like to hit the normal range of all of those numbers or at least see how bad they become without the meds.

Oddly, my Dr's office called me out of the blue today and changed their advice and suggested I retest in a month and not the 60 days they originally said. I wonder why? :roll: I didn't mention that I already had the testing aspect covered. :wink:

HAdriven

Post Number:#14  Post by HAdriven » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:28 am

Owen:

In another thread you said:

ofonorow wrote:And there are a mountain of studies that show when your blood levels of vitamin C are "optimal" your total cholesterol will normalize to 180 mg/dl.

So, does that mean I'm kinda already at optimal levels? What about the other numbers?

I'm retesting again this Sunday, so I'll see how this is going.

Thanks in advance to your reply.

HAdriven

Post Number:#15  Post by HAdriven » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:14 am

This week's numbers:

Cholesterol = 156
Trigs = 101
HDL = 37
VLDL = 20.2
LDL = 98.8

Starting Tuesday, I'll drop the Tricor and see what happens.

On a side note, I'm not sure why my HDL keeps dropping. If my diet is any indication, I really don't think I've changed all that much...and I've been pretty good about my Omega3 supplementation. Huh?

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”