Lp(a) Rising on Pauling Therapy!?!

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Lp(a) Rising on Pauling Therapy!?!

Post by ofonorow » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:51 am

Dr. Fonorow,
In March of 2009 I ordered several copies of your book and began taking 4 scoops per day of Heart Tech.

Since then I have promoted the Pauling Therapy Protocol with relatives and friends and several have read your book and are taking Heart Tech. I , also, I convinced several physicians and the pathologist in charge of the Lab at the Harry S. Truman VA Hospital where I go, of the importance of getting Lp(a) tests for veterans, so I was the first one. They send the samples to Quest Diagnostic Laboratory in Chantilly, VA.

My concern is, that while I have promoted the concept of how the Heart Tech removes Lp(a) and makes healthy vessels, my Lp(a) results have gone up. I understand that in the process of removing it from the plaque deposits, that the blood serum will show an increase for a few months. After having been on the Heart Tech for six months, since March 9, 2009, in Sept. of 2009, my Lp(a) was 43 nmol/L. In April, 2010 my Lp(a) was 51 nmol/L. At this ti me Sally Jewel suggested that I add 2 scoops daily of Cardio Ade, which I did. Then on Nov. 5, 2010, my Lp(a) was 60 nmol/L.

I have a good diet, lots of fruits and veggies and little red meat. My total Chol. is 192, Trigs. 89, HDL 68 and LDL 106.

Do you have any suggestions or an explanation why my Lp(a) has not gone down in 14 months?
=
Thank you for any help.
James K

There used to be a problem with Lp(a) testing through QUEST. I wanted to verify their measurements, but QUEST refused to let me test their Lp(a) measurements, and I believed at that time they computed (and did not measure) Lp(a) results. Several years ago the FDA allowed labs to compute - rather than measure Lp(a). Long story, but the FDA rationale seemed to be that "since nothing changes it anyway, the expense of measuring isn't justified."

Maybe I am wrong - ask them. They wouldn't answer me, nor allow blood that I was having sent to another lab test be tested by them for Lp(a). However, if the units are now nmol/l (rather than mg/dl) then something has changed at QUEST and these results may now be valid (measured).

Lets assume the numbers are valid. What is considered high Lp(a) on that report? From memory, around 70 nmol/l is considered elevated, (or roughly equivalent to the older 20 mg/dl) , so all your readings are in the normal range, correct?

And your cholesterol is very good, almost perfect (192 vs. 180 mg/dl).

So I don't see a problem except that the Lp(a) readings seem to be rising in the normal range.

If this is accurate, the readings are not considered dangerous, they become an argument to continue taking Lp(a) binding inhibitors.

What is the current dosage of vitamin C and lysine daily?

If you happen to be taking medications, especially cholesterol lowering drugs, we know that Lp(a) rises in response to these toxins. (Lp(a) is part of an alternative healing process, according to theory.)

If you are still concerned, I would recommend having your blood tested by another lab, e.g. atherotech.com (VAP). The VAP test (from atherotech.com) is an excellent test, as is the Berkeley Laboratory Lp(a) assay. Before you worry to much about your results, please have them double checked by a lab that measures rather than computes Lp(a).

The only reports we have of Lp(a) going to zero are on products that contain proline (or after adding proline) so I am not certain why Sally recommended CardioAde - unless it was simply an economical way to increase vitamin C/lysine.

p.s. Note - thanks to one of our regular forum posters, we now know that Atherotech Lp(a) test is not as complete as it used to be. Apparently they succumbed to pressure and now only report total Lp(a). They used to break it down into sub groups, but no more on the regular VAP.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Lp(a) Rising on Pauling Therapy!?!

Post by Ralph Lotz » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:00 am

Niacin lowers Lp(a). Start with 500 mg per day with a meal. You may get a flush. This should go away after you have used niacin for a little while. Niacin also balances the other lipids.
"Unless we put medical freedom into the constitution...medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship..force people who wish doctors and treatment of their own choice to submit to only what..dictating outfit offers." Dr. Benjamin Rush

jknosplr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by jknosplr » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:39 am

Found this on Lp(a) along with a crude conversion, according this article it appears that nmol/l is a preferred measurement of LP(a)

http://www.trackyourplaque.com/library/fl_01-019lpa_treatments.asp

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by ofonorow » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:25 am

Good article. Thank you.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post by Johnwen » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:59 pm

The VA has Niacin avaiable in it's formulary. They used to supply Nisapan by Abbott Labs but have switched over to Upsher-Smith Slo Niacin. They reccomend starting at 500Mg for four weeks then titrating up every four weeks. His PCP Will guide him.
I've been on niacin for five years and my LPa always comes back NR! Not readable! Meaning it's to low to detect. Best way I found to take it is, pop the pill and hit the bed. Don't know if I get a flush or not I'm sleeping while it's doing it's job.
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”