Vitamin C doesn't lower Lp(a)! DUH!

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Vitamin C doesn't lower Lp(a)! DUH!

Post Number:#1  Post by Johnwen » Sat May 12, 2012 6:58 am

I was doing some research on Endothiel dysfunction and came across this abstract from 1997
They actually used 4.5 Grams of V-C but it didn't lower LP(a). DUH! Imagine if they would have added about 4 Grams of L-lysine. It probably would have been swept under the rug because it worked too good!
They didn't say if anyone died during the study either!!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7479198
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Vitamin C doesn't lower Lp(a)! DUH!

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Tue May 15, 2012 2:52 am

I communicated with Dr. Bostom after this was published, and that was about the conclusion I drew. That 4-5 g of vitamin C does not affect Lp(a) during the period studied - 12 weeks.

Assuming they measured Lp(a), etc.

It is interesting that their conclusion regarding Lp(a) is not iron clad. If my memory serves, this finding
could be in error about 40% of the time, correct?
Multiple linear regression analysis revealed no significant effect of supplementation on postintervention Lp(a) levels (p = 0.39) in a model that included treatment group assignment, and baseline Lp(a) levels.

Can you get into the study to see the actual data? One would expect about a 30% drop in Lp(a), but I am not certain of the period required.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”