Eczema

Any adverse effects of replacement vitamin C will be discuseed here. Topics include kidney stones, gall stones, oxidation, etc.
We plan to move good discussions from the General Topics forum here for posterity.

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Eczema

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:01 pm

hello,
I hope you don't mind my emailing you. I need some adive about C. Last week i started taking several grams a day and i was noticing some positive effects. But then i started to get eczema. So I stopped altogether and it cleared up immediately.

I had a similar problem several years ago taking solgar multi vitamins when the eczema it produced became so bad i was hospitalised.. Can you possibly explain what on earth is going on?
thank you very much for your time.
M. L.

Firby, UK
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

joiv
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#2  Post by joiv » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:00 am

My cousin may be experiencing the same. Upon starting supplementation with vitamins and megadosing vitamin C his eczema came back. He applied ascorbic acid topically (I told him he should rather use sodium ascorbate, but he wanted to try ascorbic acid) and it got even worse. I wonder if it was the acid, but I really don't know.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Another Guess

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:35 am

Today is the day for hazarding another guess.. (Maybe someone really knows?)

If we postulate that eczema is the RESULT of the body trying to detoxify itself, and thereby raising these toxins to the surface for expulsion, say through sweat, then we might understand why vitamins, especially vitamin C, appears to exacerbate the symptoms. Ascorbate would increase the detoxification process.

First, do you (anyone) have any links on eczema that you trust for us to review?

Can you think of any reason why the body in question might have toxins? Are they taking prescription drugs?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Sounds like a Vitamin C Deficiency

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:46 am

I randomly found the following web site,

http://www.healthscout.com/ency/407/290/main.html

and if the description is accurate, eczema sounds like a malfunctioning immune response caused by a vitamin C deficiency.

Causes and Risk Factors of Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis)
A person with eczema often has a history of allergic manifestations such as asthma or hay fever, or a family history of asthma, hay fever, or atopic dermatitis. The term "atopic" is derived from the Greek word atopos, which means "away from the place." It describes a family of sensitivities to ordinary substances to which most people have no reaction. Hence, the sensitivity is "out of place".
Though much of atopic dermatitis is genetic and caused by the “atopic” or reactive immune system, environmental factors are also very important. Eczema may be set off by extreme temperatures, stress, sweating, medication, clothing (especially wool or silk), grease, oils, soap and detergents, and environmental allergens. Dryness is perhaps the most important trigger. Drying soaps should be avoided, and the skin should be moisturized frequently.

Patients with eczema are also very susceptible to severe infections from certain viruses, for example, the herpes simplex virus that produces fever blisters and sores

My recommendation would be a program of pure vitamin C powder, increasing slowly to bowel tolerance - along with Linus Pauling's basic recommendations in the 1986 HOW TO LIVE LONGER AND FEEL BETTER. (The Pauling regimen "cured" my hay fever over 20 years ago, however, this cure might be related to the vitamin A or B complex, in addition to high vitamin C. Best to be safe, and run the entire protocol)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

trillian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#5  Post by trillian » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:40 pm

A few years ago for no reason that I could determine, I got eczema and it was absolutely
aweful, the itching was unbeleivable. I started taking evening primrose oil which was
recommended by DR Mercola at the time. I took 6 capsules a day and it went away
pretty quickly. Perhaps it was a 'spontaneous remission' I don't know.

At the time I was only taking a very minimal regular dose of vit C, maybe 1 gram
a day.

Once sometime later I started seeing the signs that it might be coming back and
I imediately took the evening primrose oil and it did not develop further.

joiv
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#6  Post by joiv » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:02 am

Could you describe the eczema?

I have so far seen two persons trying ascorbate for eczema. The first got better (he hasn't yet started eating it - he just applies it topically), the other got worse. The first persons eczema was located on the hands. It was red, dry and flaky. The other ones was on the feet. His was red, flaky and wet. Both has the diagnose atopical eczema. I wonder if they have two different kinds of eczema.

CPlus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#7  Post by CPlus » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:38 am

I have had atopic eczema all my life, and having tried vitamin C on the skin and orally in large doses, unfortunately I found no effect, good or bad. There are essentially two types of eczema: atopic eczema, often associated with asthma, that appears to be genetic and seems to run in families (my mother and my daughter have it), and eczema that is caused by the skin becoming sensitised to some irritant. Atopic eczema is hard to cure, being genetic. I have found that heat or cold affect it, but I've never found any underlying cause. The other form of eczema can be cured, by removing the irritant. As Owen pointed out, the irritant may come from inside when the body is trying to detox, but when the detox is over the skin should clear up. For an atopic eczema sufferer who is in otherwise reasonable health, taking supplements won't bring about any improvement because the skin is just 'like that', and that was my experience, until recently, when I started a combination of acupuncture and chinese herbs. I hoped it would work, but was very sceptical for the reasons given above. I have been amazed that many areas of skin have cleared up, notable those that appeared over the last decade or so, leaving me with the stubborn areas behind the knees and in the elbows still bad - but that was what I was born with. I'm still continuing with the treatment, so it is not over yet.

Jonathan

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Vitamin D

Post Number:#8  Post by ofonorow » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:54 pm

Per "colds and flu" post, research into vitamin D and UV/B wavelength lights revealed that these lights can relieve many skin conditions, including excema. I think it would be a worthwhile "experiment" for those suffering this condition to determine whether it can be relieved or eliminated by increasing the blood levels of vitamin D. Either from the 1000 to 4000 iu D3 form or from a good UV/B lamp, or both. See this article for information and caveats re: vitamin D http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrit ... racle.html
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

CPlus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#9  Post by CPlus » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:11 am

That's interesting - would that explain why my eczema gets worse as soon as winter comes?

Thanks,

Jonathan

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

undootablee

Post Number:#10  Post by ofonorow » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:54 pm

CPlus wrote:That's interesting - would that explain why my eczema gets worse as soon as winter comes?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Sounds right on. You should begin taking the D3 tables and begin researching the UV/B lamps that are for reptiles in captivity - and lets us know if your problem gets worse, stays the same or goes away (my guess)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Return to “Toxicity”