Vitamin C and Oxalates

Any adverse effects of replacement vitamin C will be discuseed here. Topics include kidney stones, gall stones, oxidation, etc.
We plan to move good discussions from the General Topics forum here for posterity.

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Vitamin C and Oxalates

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:12 am

From the email

I am presently using the Tower Heart Technology product and the results have been not hing short of fantastic. My cholesterol level is 140, a twenty point drop since starting Heart Technology.

However, I'm afraid there might be a problem. I'm on peritoneal dialysis, and my physician informed me that high doses of vitamin C can cause problems with oxalate deposits in my body. I'm skeptical of anything physicians say, so I'm writing to see if you have any information concerning this. It would truly be a disaster to finally find a treatment for heart disease and have to abandon it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

My reply focused on kidney stones and recommended that he monitor the forum.

But I just noticed how low the cholesterol reading is - if the units are mg/dl.

Too low.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

People with high cholesterol levels live the longest

Post Number:#2  Post by Ralph Lotz » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:53 pm

Cholesterol levels below 160 are dangerous, leading to higher morbidity, depression, strokes and cancer.

Read: The benefits of High Cholesterol
http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndisea ... olest.html

Low Cholesterol Causes Aggressive Behavior and Depression
http://www.mercola.com/2001/jan/14/low_ ... ession.htm
Read the links at the bottom too!
"Unless we put medical freedom into the constitution...medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship..force people who wish doctors and treatment of their own choice to submit to only what..dictating outfit offers." Dr. Benjamin Rush

Post Number:#3  Post by Guest » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:28 pm

But I just noticed how low the cholesterol reading is - if the units are mg/dl.

Too low.

So does that mean that mega- or therapeutic doses of vitamin C or ascorbic acid are not recommended for those with low cholesterol?

Read: The benefits of High Cholesterol
http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndisea ... olest.html

Low Cholesterol Causes Aggressive Behavior and Depression
http://www.mercola.com/2001/jan/14/low_ ... ession.htm

My total serum cholesterol normally measures about 140 mg/dl (I don't have the HDL/LDL breakdown, sorry). I've suffered from some of the associated symptoms and I've realized for a dozen years or so that this low a level of serum cholesterol isn't good. I've read the articles you posted links to and others, but the articles don't offer advice on how to raise serum levels or what those who have this indicator of ill-health should do to improve their health. Have you run across any that offer solutions?

Thanks,
Kathy

davids

Post Number:#4  Post by davids » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:33 pm

Hi Kathy,

I am not as scientifically based as Owen [and some others on this forum], but with that said, I will offer you the following: Your chances of being harmed by taking large doses of ascorbate are extremely small. Ascorbic acid itself acts as a homeostatic (Cathcart and Stone), so if your cholesterol is truly too low, you have good reason(s) to believe the ascorbate itself may raise it. All of life is constantly a gamble. We cannot escape that fact. If it were me, I know where I would "put my money!"

Just my view,

David
Last edited by davids on Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#5  Post by Dolev » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:41 pm

Normal levels of any lab test are based on a normal distribution of results - a bell curve - from healthy people. Two and a half percent are cut off of each end to establish the normal range. That means that for any test, 5 % of normal people will have not normal results. This is due to biochemical individuality. It may possibly be that a low cholesterol level is normal and okay for you.
Dolev

Post Number:#6  Post by Guest » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:09 am

Thanks davids and Dolev for the feedback. Without delving into a long medical history, I'm quite certain that my low cholesterol is not just a low normal reading. I've had excellent results so far with just low doses of ascorbic acid. But, many of the articles on this site and on the web do focus on the benefits of C lowering serum cholesterol levels. So, I'd be interested in hearing more about why someone would be cautioned about continuing ascorbic acid with low cholesterol readings since the subject was brought up.

Kathy

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#7  Post by Dolev » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:34 am

In one of the other threads, someone mentioned that vitamin C balances cholesterol. It will not lower cholesterol past around 180, and may raise it if it's low. We'll be happy to hear of your experiences in the future. (I think this was discussed in the thread about HMG CoA reductase, vitamin c and coQ10.)
Dolev

Return to “Toxicity”