Is it safe to take 1 g vitamin C daily?

Any adverse effects of replacement vitamin C will be discuseed here. Topics include kidney stones, gall stones, oxidation, etc.
We plan to move good discussions from the General Topics forum here for posterity.

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Is it safe to take 1 g vitamin C daily?

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:04 am

Hello,
I have had a question about vitamin c and I have been searching many places but haven't got a good answer.i thought the best answer might come from your guys. i was wondering is it safe taking 1000mg of vitamin c everyday? Is there any long term side effects? Can anything bad happen to me or my health? Can you answer those questions for me please I will be very thankful
Sincerely, Murphy

I suppose you are asking because you think that 1 gram is a lot of vitamin C.

For many people, 1000 mg would be too little, but this amount is usually free from side-effects. There is no known toxic lethal oral dosage of vitamin C.

Our Foundation recommends 3000 mg daily, so 1000 is 1/3 of the amount we recommend for maintaining good health.

See: http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/vitcrda.shtml
Owen R. Fonorow, Orthomolecular Naturopath
My statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Any product mentioned is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.”

VanCanada

Re: Is it safe to take 1 g vitamin C daily?

Post Number:#2  Post by VanCanada » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:20 pm

Murphy wrote:Can anything bad happen to me or my health?
Sincerely, Murphy

A doctor of dentistry, Stephen Sheffrey, spent hundreds of hours researching vitamin C and wrote a whole book summarizing what he found, including an excellent chapter answering your question. Be well.

-VanCanada

Vitamin C: how best to use it: how improper clinical trials have misled us!: separating fact from fiction to ensure proper use / Stephen Sheffrey, D.D.S. -- 2nd ed. (2002)

ISBN: 0-9629372-3-1
Published by Service Press, Box 130104, Ann Arbor, MI 48113

NiacinVC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Is it safe to take 1 g vitamin C daily?

Post Number:#3  Post by NiacinVC » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:28 pm

ofonorow wrote:
Hello,
I have had a question about vitamin c and I have been searching many places but haven't got a good answer.i thought the best answer might come from your guys. i was wondering is it safe taking 1000mg of vitamin c everyday? Is there any long term side effects? Can anything bad happen to me or my health? Can you answer those questions for me please I will be very thankful
Sincerely, Murphy

For many people, 1000 mg would be too little, but this amount is usually free from side-effects. There is no known toxic lethal oral dosage of vitamin C.

Our Foundation recommends 3000 mg daily, so 1000 is 1/3 of the amount we recommend for maintaining good health.

Personally I think 3 grams is not nearly enough if you live in an urban environment with lots of pollution. I live in LA and the pollution is awful so I take at least 10 grams a day and that was before I found out I have minor allergies to my puppy.
"When one's expectations are reduced to zero, one really appreciates everything one does have"- Steven Hawking

Return to “Toxicity”