Is it safe to take 1 g vitamin C daily?

Any adverse effects of replacement vitamin C will be discuseed here. Topics include kidney stones, gall stones, oxidation, etc.
We plan to move good discussions from the General Topics forum here for posterity.

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Is it safe to take 1 g vitamin C daily?

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:04 am

Hello,
I have had a question about vitamin c and I have been searching many places but haven't got a good answer.i thought the best answer might come from your guys. i was wondering is it safe taking 1000mg of vitamin c everyday? Is there any long term side effects? Can anything bad happen to me or my health? Can you answer those questions for me please I will be very thankful
Sincerely, Murphy

I suppose you are asking because you think that 1 gram is a lot of vitamin C.

For many people, 1000 mg would be too little, but this amount is usually free from side-effects. There is no known toxic lethal oral dosage of vitamin C.

Our Foundation recommends 3000 mg daily, so 1000 is 1/3 of the amount we recommend for maintaining good health.

See: http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/vitcrda.shtml
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

VanCanada

Re: Is it safe to take 1 g vitamin C daily?

Post Number:#2  Post by VanCanada » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:20 pm

Murphy wrote:Can anything bad happen to me or my health?
Sincerely, Murphy

A doctor of dentistry, Stephen Sheffrey, spent hundreds of hours researching vitamin C and wrote a whole book summarizing what he found, including an excellent chapter answering your question. Be well.

-VanCanada

Vitamin C: how best to use it: how improper clinical trials have misled us!: separating fact from fiction to ensure proper use / Stephen Sheffrey, D.D.S. -- 2nd ed. (2002)

ISBN: 0-9629372-3-1
Published by Service Press, Box 130104, Ann Arbor, MI 48113

NiacinVC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Is it safe to take 1 g vitamin C daily?

Post Number:#3  Post by NiacinVC » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:28 pm

ofonorow wrote:
Hello,
I have had a question about vitamin c and I have been searching many places but haven't got a good answer.i thought the best answer might come from your guys. i was wondering is it safe taking 1000mg of vitamin c everyday? Is there any long term side effects? Can anything bad happen to me or my health? Can you answer those questions for me please I will be very thankful
Sincerely, Murphy

For many people, 1000 mg would be too little, but this amount is usually free from side-effects. There is no known toxic lethal oral dosage of vitamin C.

Our Foundation recommends 3000 mg daily, so 1000 is 1/3 of the amount we recommend for maintaining good health.

Personally I think 3 grams is not nearly enough if you live in an urban environment with lots of pollution. I live in LA and the pollution is awful so I take at least 10 grams a day and that was before I found out I have minor allergies to my puppy.
"When one's expectations are reduced to zero, one really appreciates everything one does have"- Steven Hawking

Return to “Toxicity”