Bowel Tolerance by oral intake - some questions

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

Mourne
Contributor
Contributor

Bowel Tolerance by oral intake - some questions

Post Number:#1  Post by Mourne » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:21 am

Hi everyone,

I was reading around these days, and i had asked myself some questions.
This maybe has to do with the Tiritation method of pure ascorbic acid, taken by mouth and dissolved in water.

I'll try my best to be concise =)

1) Is there a "tiritation method" indicated in a "specific procedure"?.
From what I have understood from Cathcart ( http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/1981/pdf/1981-v10n02-p125.pdf ), changing the frequency can also alter the absorption and by consequence the saturation threshold.
Does this mean that i can have a tiritation value in grams that is different depending on the dosage amount and frequency?.

2) From what I have understood, in a healthy person the absorption of vitamin C taken orally hugely depends on the amount.
In this case at 1 gram the absorption rate floats around 75% (correct?)
My question is.. does this percentage change when a person is sick? is there a proportion?.
I have read another post where a user has taken "heaping tablespoons" when sick and yet without having any diahrrea.
Does this mean a much bigger percentage is absorbed even at such huge dosage?.
I haven't read the book from Hickey, and I think the dynamic flow model speaks about this.. I think i have missed something pretty big :D

3) Can oral vitamin C be taken for any kind of sickness? or is there a threashold after which IV is the only way to go?.
I am aware that IV is much more concentrated and effective for serious diseases but.. can theorically someone manage his serious sickness only with oral ascorbic acid taken in very huge amounts and frequency?.
What is your view on this?.

These are my biggest doubts, anyone that can help me understand better is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

M.

Mourne
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Bowel Tolerance by oral intake - some questions

Post Number:#2  Post by Mourne » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:14 am

have found some info on my first question, thanks to Ofonorow.

Well, hopefully you understand by now that there is no one formula for bowel tolerance (e.g. http://www.orthomed.com/titrate.htm). Determining individual bowel tolerance is tricky, and reaching it still may not indicate the requirement for vitamin C as been met (i.e., the lack of vitamin C in the blood stream.)

davids1
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#3  Post by davids1 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:05 pm

Hi Mourne,

I'll give it a shot:

1) Yes, the more doses you can divide your daily intake up into, the more total ascorbic acid [for the day] you will be able to ingest, i.e. your [total daily] Bowel Tolerance [limit] will rise. By comparison. the animals all have it "trickling" into their blood streams "24/7," so the closer to that ideal we can come, the better [health-wise].

2) I do not know the answer to that question, and am unaware of it ever being researched, i.e. "Dynamic-flow" under both healthy and sick conditions.

3) This quote from Dr. Levy seems to address your question well:
I have seen many cancers now respond dramatically and/or completely resolve with IVC, sodium ascorbate powder, chronically pushed to bowel tolerance, and relatively low doses of liposome-encapsulated vitamin C (3 to 6 grams/packets daily). All these forms of vitamin C as monotherapy have achieved these dramatic results. That said, the more forms you take of vitamin C, in the highest tolerable/affordable doses, the better. [emphasis mine]
As far as using ascorbic acid as a "monotherapy," Mourne, I personally suspect the [ill-]health of a person's GI tract could very well be a limiting factor.

As an example, Dr. Cathcart speculated that some hemorrhagic fevers might require in the neighborhood of 300 to 500 grams of ascorbic acid per day [at least initially, to neutralize all of the free-radicals being produced by the disease]. I suspect that the vast majority of people would be unable to ingest that much ascorbic acid in one day, i.e. without [too much benign] diarrhea being produced [primarily (from my view) because their GI tracts are not healthy/clean enough, i.e. are too encumbered]. Dr. Cathcart wrote that he particularly liked young patients, because they typically had cast iron stomachs, i.e. I interpret that to mean that they had healthier GI tracts than [most] older people.

I hope that helps, Mourne. If you any have further "doubts," i.e. questions, comments, and/or concerns, please do post them.

Just my viewpoint as 'grist for your mill," Mourne,

David
JFYI, I have ingested a Bowel Tolerance dose of ascorbic acid [via one gram tablets], in HEALTH, not illness [of which I have had virtually none], basically every day since 1994, amounting to [currently], on average, 75+ grams [daily], in 10 to 15 divided doses.

Mourne
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#4  Post by Mourne » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:39 pm

Hey Davids thanks, that is helpful, great food for the mind.

I have one more question.

You were making the example of the hemorragic fever, like ebola.
It reminds me of what you wrote in another post on Ebola.

I am [and remain] what Eric Hoffer would call a "True Believer" [where daily Bowel Tolerance doses of ascorbic acid are concerned]! I say: Saturate one's tissues [via keeping one's bloodstream "maxed out"], and there is simply no better protection from any-and-all "foreign invaders" to/in one's body.

In your opinion, in a situation like that specific one, would one person have to take all the 500 grams in order to beat that disease?.

With 500 grams you reach BT, and that's the point where you get the best in terms of vitamin C action, especially on symptoms.
That said, let's say for example I only take like 200 grams/day: won't it still be enough to "beat the disease", even if some sympthoms are still there?.
If I have understood correctly from the articles, Ebola focuses on depleting vitamin C reserves, if you keep providing it even in average dosages, that should prevent internal hemorrage from taking place right?. (theorically)

davids1
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#5  Post by davids1 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:06 pm

Hi Mourne,

You are most welcome.
Mourne wrote:In your opinion, in a situation like that specific one, would one person have to take all the 500 grams in order to beat that disease?
That's the beauty and "magic" of the Bowel Tolerance method of dosage determination, Mourne. You let your body indicate to you how much it wants, and therefore needs, via its Bowel Tolerance reaction. For instance, Dr. Levy speculated that a person might even need more than 500 grams per day [depending upon the severity of their (ebola) symptoms].

In other words, Mourne, I would have to say that each person is different [including their current overall health status], and will have to determine their ascorbate needs for themselves, i.e. via their own body's reaction to the ascorbic acid. In other words, I would never feel comfortable trying to predict how much ascorbic acid a person might need, for any particular malady. Once one cleans up/out their GI tract, I feel quite comfortable in "predicting" that their own Bowel Tolerance will direct, i.e. indicate to, them as to when and how much they need.

Just my viewpoint, and I hope it helps, Mourne.

Good health to us all,

David
JFYI, I have ingested a Bowel Tolerance dose of ascorbic acid [via one gram tablets], in HEALTH, not illness [of which I have had virtually none], basically every day since 1994, amounting to [currently], on average, 75+ grams [daily], in 10 to 15 divided doses.

Mourne
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#6  Post by Mourne » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:58 am

Thanks David.

My curiosity is.. if i don't reach bowel tolerance threshold will I still suffer from internal hemorrage? Hemorrage should be caused by the complete depletion of vitamin C correct?

davids1
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#7  Post by davids1 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:46 am

Hi Mourne,

You are most welcome.
Mourne wrote:if i don't reach bowel tolerance threshold will I still suffer from internal hemorrage?
I'll let Dr. Cathcart answer that directly and specifically:
"The clinical symptoms of...diseases and other conditions...are markedly ameliorated only as bowel tolerance dose levels (the amount that almost, but not quite, causes diarrhea) are approached." [emphasis mine]
I hope that helps, Mourne, as "grist for your mill."

Good health to us all,

David

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”