Supplementing C rich foods with ascorbate

What is vitamin C? Is there such a thing as a vitamin C complex? Why do so many people now believe in the complex?

Moderator: ofonorow

llmercll
Contributor
Contributor

Supplementing C rich foods with ascorbate

Post Number:#1  Post by llmercll » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:00 am

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here supplements alongside with say, eating an orange, kiwi, or red pepper. Basically any C rich food. It's intuitive to believe that taking C alongside a naturally rich C food may increase its absorption, making it somewhat more similar to a "complex".

What do you think?

Thanks!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Supplementing C rich foods with ascorbate

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:19 am

In my opinion, the "complex" exists in foods to preserve the reduced vitamin C which is otherwise subject to break down.

From the research I have read, if you want to get the most out of the vitamin C you eat, and there isn't enough in foods to be useful (compared to what animals can make for themselves) -- ergo, you must supplement -- you should not eat vitamin C with carbohydrates (as carbs make VC breakdown in the gut). On the other hand, one should eat vitamin C with protein (e.g. amino acids) because the aminos "chelates" the C - protecting it in the gut, and making more VC enter the blood stream intact. (Ref. Sherry Lewin, Vitamin C: Its Biology and Medical Potential, 1976)
Owen R. Fonorow, Orthomolecular Naturopath
My statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Any product mentioned is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.”

Return to “Ascorbic Acid versus Vitamin C Complex”