Misinformation in Robert Thompson book "The Calcium Lie II"

What is vitamin C? Is there such a thing as a vitamin C complex? Why do so many people now believe in the complex?

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Misinformation in Robert Thompson book "The Calcium Lie II"

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:32 pm

Dear Robert,

Thank you very much for the reply!

I already found your NaturalC pdf (http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/NaturalC.pdf) file and it is very coherent and informative - it fits in every respect. I have a science background myself and have always felt that it is impossible that Linus Pauling is a "quack" - but then the "naturalists" would normally have been the ones I would have expected to default to his side - so it was very confusing altogether to now come across the "whole vitamin" issue. Then of course Dr Robert Thompson claims that Pauling only used "Whole C" - which seemed like nonsense to me if he was consuming up to 18 grams per day. How can people get way with statements like this - where there is nothing out there to back them up. Don't they ever check anything?

In Dr Robert Thompson's "The Calcium Lie II" he actually claims that Ascorbic acid could kill you and insists that you stop using it. However I spotted that he also calls cholesterol a fat - when I know it's an alcohol. He also states that the body is 28% minerals - but I can only find evidence that it is 4.3% minerals - so his credibility was already on the way down. I'm now not sure if there is anything at all in his book that I should trust.

Here's a typical worrying example I found before discovering your website...

http://www.thedoctorwithin.com/vitaminc/ascorbic-acid-is-not-vitamin-c/

"Whole food vitamin C as found in potatoes, onions, and citrus fruits is able to quickly cure any case of scurvy. By contrast, the fractionated chemical ascorbic acid has been shown to be insufficient in resolving a scurvy condition, simply because it does not act as a nutrient. (Lancet 1842)

Ascorbic acid simply cannot confer vitamin activity, as taught by the discoverer of vitamin C himself, another Nobel Prize laureate, Dr. Albert Szent-Georgi....

Szent-Georgi discovered vitamin C in 1937. In all his research however, Szent-Georgi found that he could never cure scurvy with the isolated ascorbic acid itself. Realizing that he could always cure scurvy with the “impure” vitamin C found in simple foods, Szent-Georgi discovered that other factors had to be at work in order for vitamin activity to take place. So he returned to the laboratory and eventually made the discovery of another member of the vitamin C complex, as shown in the diagram above: rutin. All the factors in the complex, as Royal Lee and Dr. Szent-Georgi both came to understand, ascorbic acid, rutin, and the other factors, were synergists: co-factors which together sparked the “functional interdependence of biologically related nutrient factors.” (Empty Harvest p120) The term “wheels within wheels” was used to describe the interplay of co-factors."

Here's another...

http://www.realvitaminc.com/ascorbic-acid.html

The Nobel Prize winner Dr. Albert Szent-Georgi - Dr. Albert, who discovered Vitamin C, reportedly said that “ascorbic acid simply cannot confer vitamin activity.”

Thank you again for helping me through this! I will pass it on to others.

Best Regards,
I

Thank you for this information. Regarding the Szent-Georgi quotes, his Nobel prize winning lecture is telling.

Expand "Vitamin C Complex Fact or Fiction" at http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/basics.php and scroll down to the lecture.

What the good doctor wrote was "This was the first proof that ascorbic acid was identical with vitamin C."

You might write the good doctor Robert Thompson advising him of his errors :)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Ascorbic Acid versus Vitamin C Complex”