Thomas Cowan, MD why vit C is bad?

What is vitamin C? Is there such a thing as a vitamin C complex? Why do so many people now believe in the complex?

Moderator: ofonorow

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Thomas Cowan, MD why vit C is bad?

Post Number:#1  Post by zarfas » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:50 am

NATURAL VERSUS SYNTHETIC VITAMIN C

By Thomas Cowan, MD

It is common these days to use the terms vitamin C interchangeably with ascorbic acid. In fact, there are numerous differences between these two very distinct biological entities. Vitamin C, found in numerous plant and animal foods, is a necessary nutrient for humans in that we make none of our own vitamin C. Natural vitamin C is a complex mixture of at least 9 or 10 distinct molecular entities. These include ascorbic acid (the preservative part of the complex), tyrosinase (an enzyme), rutin, bioflavenoids, copper, manganese, and other enzymes and minerals. Each of these compounds has a synergistic effect with the other substances, the end result being a potent and complicated compound that has far-reaching biological effects. Some of these effects include reducing capillary fragility (thus reducing the tendency to bruising or bleeding), improving the integrity of the collagen fibers, binding and thereby neutralizing histamine (lessening allergies), and many other vital functions. Ascorbic acid has only one effect, that is anti-oxidation. While many nutritionists and physicians sing the praises of anti-oxidants in our diet, the fact is that excessive anti-oxidation inhibits our cellular mechanisms from digesting and disposing of unwanted tissue. This is why the latest studies on excessive use of ascorbic acid show that it may contribute to the development of coronary artery disease. This situation would never arise from the use of the whole vitamin C complex as found in natural foods.

some thoughts on this dudes theory of how to prevent heart disease?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Thomas Cowan, MD why vit C is bad?

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:25 am

The doctor was wrong in 2005 http://www.vitaminc.foundation/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2032 and if this isn't simply a rehash, he and his book are still wrong.
Owen R. Fonorow, Orthomolecular Naturopath
My statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Any product mentioned is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.”

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: Thomas Cowan, MD why vit C is bad?

Post Number:#3  Post by zarfas » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:22 am

ofonorow wrote:The doctor was wrong in 2005 http://www.vitaminc.foundation/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2032 and if this isn't simply a rehash, he and his book are still wrong.

THANKS OWEN!!
I tried to read his site and my brain nearly exploded! I'm like what the HECK is this dude saying? THIS MAKES NO SENSE
or maybe I'm just not understanding..so I posted it here!
WHEW

Return to “Ascorbic Acid versus Vitamin C Complex”