Thomas Cowan, MD why vit C is bad?

What is vitamin C? Is there such a thing as a vitamin C complex? Why do so many people now believe in the complex?

Moderator: ofonorow

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:17 am
Contact:

Thomas Cowan, MD why vit C is bad?

Post Number:#1  Post by zarfas » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:50 am

NATURAL VERSUS SYNTHETIC VITAMIN C

By Thomas Cowan, MD

It is common these days to use the terms vitamin C interchangeably with ascorbic acid. In fact, there are numerous differences between these two very distinct biological entities. Vitamin C, found in numerous plant and animal foods, is a necessary nutrient for humans in that we make none of our own vitamin C. Natural vitamin C is a complex mixture of at least 9 or 10 distinct molecular entities. These include ascorbic acid (the preservative part of the complex), tyrosinase (an enzyme), rutin, bioflavenoids, copper, manganese, and other enzymes and minerals. Each of these compounds has a synergistic effect with the other substances, the end result being a potent and complicated compound that has far-reaching biological effects. Some of these effects include reducing capillary fragility (thus reducing the tendency to bruising or bleeding), improving the integrity of the collagen fibers, binding and thereby neutralizing histamine (lessening allergies), and many other vital functions. Ascorbic acid has only one effect, that is anti-oxidation. While many nutritionists and physicians sing the praises of anti-oxidants in our diet, the fact is that excessive anti-oxidation inhibits our cellular mechanisms from digesting and disposing of unwanted tissue. This is why the latest studies on excessive use of ascorbic acid show that it may contribute to the development of coronary artery disease. This situation would never arise from the use of the whole vitamin C complex as found in natural foods.


some thoughts on this dudes theory of how to prevent heart disease?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard
Posts: 12889
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:16 pm
Location: Lisle, IL
Contact:

Re: Thomas Cowan, MD why vit C is bad?

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:25 am

The doctor was wrong in 2005 http://www.vitaminc.foundation/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2032 and if this isn't simply a rehash, he and his book are still wrong.
Owen R. Fonorow, Follow #OWENRFONOROW at twitter

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:17 am
Contact:

Re: Thomas Cowan, MD why vit C is bad?

Post Number:#3  Post by zarfas » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:22 am

ofonorow wrote:The doctor was wrong in 2005 http://www.vitaminc.foundation/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2032 and if this isn't simply a rehash, he and his book are still wrong.

THANKS OWEN!!
I tried to read his site and my brain nearly exploded! I'm like what the HECK is this dude saying? THIS MAKES NO SENSE
or maybe I'm just not understanding..so I posted it here!
WHEW

guitarplayer007
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:20 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Thomas Cowan, MD why vit C is bad?

Post Number:#4  Post by guitarplayer007 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:22 am

I've seen several Dr's on youtube state that Ascorbic Acid is not vitamin C and won't help you reverse CAD, maybe that's why my CAD as gotten worse in last 12 months while taking high doses of AA

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:17 am
Contact:

Re: Thomas Cowan, MD why vit C is bad?

Post Number:#5  Post by zarfas » Thu May 03, 2018 10:15 am

guitarplayer007 wrote:I've seen several Dr's on youtube state that Ascorbic Acid is not vitamin C and won't help you reverse CAD, maybe that's why my CAD as gotten worse in last 12 months while taking high doses of AA

post these links to these videos which you think has better info than this forum.



your CAD has gotten worse??..
I thought you said your lpa went down?

guitarplayer007
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:20 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Thomas Cowan, MD why vit C is bad?

Post Number:#6  Post by guitarplayer007 » Thu May 03, 2018 2:18 pm

My Angina comes on easier then it did 12 months ago unfortunately

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:17 am
Contact:

Re: Thomas Cowan, MD why vit C is bad?

Post Number:#7  Post by zarfas » Sat May 05, 2018 8:07 am

guitarplayer007 wrote:My Angina comes on easier then it did 12 months ago unfortunately

damn, so can you make a thread and in it summerize what you are doing
ie
your stats. bodyfat, height, etc
your numbers, your LpA numbers, total cholestrol, LDL, Crp, blood pressure
and what you take....vit C, vit D, vit k2, etc


i and many guys on here want to help you, but you, but there is no place we can check and see what's going on..and when you tells us stuff, it seems to contradict or just seem odd, as if,"I thought you woere doig that!


so make a thread and just list your numbers and what you take and put a link to the thread in your sig, so guys can go to it easy
this will help us help you
does that make sene? can you do this?

guitarplayer007
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:20 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Thomas Cowan, MD why vit C is bad?

Post Number:#8  Post by guitarplayer007 » Sat May 05, 2018 2:37 pm

OK thanks, will do

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:17 am
Contact:

Re: Thomas Cowan, MD why vit C is bad?

Post Number:#9  Post by zarfas » Sat May 05, 2018 6:10 pm

guitarplayer007 wrote:OK thanks, will do

great
it'd help everyone and you for sure

guitarplayer007
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:20 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Thomas Cowan, MD why vit C is bad?

Post Number:#10  Post by guitarplayer007 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:20 pm

zarfas wrote:
guitarplayer007 wrote:My Angina comes on easier then it did 12 months ago unfortunately

damn, so can you make a thread and in it summerize what you are doing
ie
your stats. bodyfat, height, etc
your numbers, your LpA numbers, total cholestrol, LDL, Crp, blood pressure
and what you take....vit C, vit D, vit k2, etc


i and many guys on here want to help you, but you, but there is no place we can check and see what's going on..and when you tells us stuff, it seems to contradict or just seem odd, as if,"I thought you woere doig that!


so make a thread and just list your numbers and what you take and put a link to the thread in your sig, so guys can go to it easy
this will help us help you
does that make sene? can you do this?



Here is my protocol

Vitamin C between 16 to 20 grams a day
Lysine and Proline--- probably 2000 mg each
Vit K2 I take from Like extension Super 2 capules per day
Vit E 800 IU
Vit D 2000 IU
Vitmin B complex
Vit min A 10,000mg
COQ10 400mg
L-Arginie 1000mg
Niacin 1000mg
Magnesium 200mg
Omega 3 fish oil

i think I used to take a couple of other supplements but stopped, at this point probably costs $200 a month between all the C and supplements with only the disease progressing

Time to really try and figure out how to live on plant based diet

Thanks for your concern, i appreciate it!!!!

guitarplayer007
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:20 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Thomas Cowan, MD why vit C is bad?

Post Number:#11  Post by guitarplayer007 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:37 pm

I'm 5'4 145, you can see my abs, not fat at all
Ny lipds are in the normal range, but been pre-diabetic for around 8 years, I think that has alot to do with my disease do to Insulin resistance which in turn cause inflammation in the arteries.

2 years ago my LPa was like 116, but I have to dig up my labs from a year ago, my lab didn't take LPa last time about 6 months ago

A1c 5.7
My calcium score is though the roof around 1000 that was last April
Vitamin D was 28 should be 30 or higher

LDL-P 1,115 nmol/L <1,000 nmol/L H

LDL-C 78 mg/dL 0 - 99 mg/dL

HDL Cholesterol 53 mg/dL >39 mg/dL

Triglycerides 71 mg/dL 0 - 149 mg/dL

Cholesterol, Total 145 mg/dL 100 - 199 mg/dL

HDL-P (Total) 41.6 umol/L >=30.5 umol/L

Small LDL-P 644 nmol/L <=527 nmol/L H

LDL Size 20.8 nm >20.5 nm

LP-IRr Score 29 <=45

Homocyst(E)ine, Plasma 13.9 umol/L 0.0 - 15.0 umol/L

----------------------------------------------------------
My small particles which are the dangerous ones when down by 60% due to me taking Crestor instead of my previous statin

Dam site keeps kicking me out now so I can't get the rest of my labs, will try later.

Thanks
Ken

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:17 am
Contact:

Re: Thomas Cowan, MD why vit C is bad?

Post Number:#12  Post by zarfas » Sun May 20, 2018 3:24 pm

guitarplayer007 wrote:I'm 5'4 145, you can see my abs, not fat at all
Ny lipds are in the normal range, but been pre-diabetic for around 8 years, I think that has alot to do with my disease do to Insulin resistance which in turn cause inflammation in the arteries.

2 years ago my LPa was like 116, but I have to dig up my labs from a year ago, my lab didn't take LPa last time about 6 months ago

A1c 5.7
My calcium score is though the roof around 1000 that was last April
Vitamin D was 28 should be 30 or higher


do you take vit D? Dr levy says vit D should be 60ng/mg-100ng/ml
https://www.peakenergy.com/hydroxyvitamin.php
increase to 5k IU/day

Id find that lpa test, or get a new one

I find it odd that you have heart disease with a total cholesterol below 150 and a bmi under 25


-how many root canals do you have?
any other implants/surgeries?
what is your HS-CRP(inflammation level)

so you have a high Lp(a) and are only taking 4 grams total of lysine/proline?

guitarplayer007
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:20 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Thomas Cowan, MD why vit C is bad?

Post Number:#13  Post by guitarplayer007 » Sun May 20, 2018 5:04 pm

I had 1 dental implant about 5 years ago. Remember I had a Stent at 49, I'm 58 now and we know it takes decades to show symptoms of CVD. This didn't happen over night

guitarplayer007
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:20 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Thomas Cowan, MD why vit C is bad?

Post Number:#14  Post by guitarplayer007 » Sun May 20, 2018 5:07 pm

I take 2 scoops of cardio C put by vitamin c forum and I also take vitamin c capsules that have lysine and proline

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:17 am
Contact:

Re: Thomas Cowan, MD why vit C is bad?

Post Number:#15  Post by zarfas » Sun May 20, 2018 5:33 pm

guitarplayer007 wrote:I take 2 scoops of cardio C put by vitamin c forum and I also take vitamin c capsules that have lysine and proline

are you in USA?

here is a list of others foods high in proline/lysine
http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000 ... 000-w.html


Id recommend some eggwhites


I'm not sure what you are trying to tell us by saying you take 2 scoppps of Cardio C and vit C caps that have lysine/proline

pretty vague statements.....Concerete facts are needed

guitarplayer007 wrote:I had 1 dental implant about 5 years ago. Remember I had a Stent at 49, I'm 58 now and we know it takes decades to show symptoms of CVD. This didn't happen over night



no, I'm not going to "remember" anything about you.
I also "know" it high fat foods cause CVD. :lol:
now I "know" differently

so your dental implant and lack of AA caused your CVD??

how long have you been taking 10+grams AA daily? about 1 year?
how long have you been taking vit K2 daily?

so you are are a lean guy, with borderline A1c, lower/normal lipids who has been on AA for 1 year now. and you claim your CVD is getting worse, although you have no recent LpA test(which is what the forum uses to measure heart disease)

anything else?


Return to “Ascorbic Acid versus Vitamin C Complex”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests