Alcohol Percentage

Discussion of the benefits and disadvantages of commercial and homemade (DIY) liposomal vitamin C

Moderator: ofonorow

aceblade07

Alcohol Percentage

Post Number:#1  Post by aceblade07 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:12 pm

I'm in the end stages of gathering materials to make liposomal c based on the instructions listed on: http://www.qualityliposomalc.com/

It seems like the only ingredient I'm missing is alcohol. Unfortunately, in Canada it's quite difficult to get a pure form of ethyl alcohol. It seems I need to get a prescription from my doctor in order to purchase 94% ethyl alcohol from the local LCBO. With that said, I'm not even sure at this moment how much they will allow me to purchase at one time and how much I will be charged. (assuming I can even get a prescription)
I think I will have to use 35-40% spirits in my recipe.

In the original patent that the above website is based on, I noticed the following:
"Although alcohol is not essential to form a stable liposome product, it does appear to be helpful for making a translucent gel. Alcohol further has the benefit of serving as an effective preservative. The use of alcohol may also be helpful or effective for forming small liposomes in the size range of about 200-500 nm." (http://www.google.com/patents/WO2012094033A1?cl=en)

So my question is, for those who are following a similar process for making liposomal vitamin c, are you using alcohol and, if so, do you find that the alcohol percentage matters?
I'd like to make the liposomal c to the best of my ability and it's bothering me that I'm being held up over alcohol.
:(

Any insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

ibhipru
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Alcohol Percentage

Post Number:#2  Post by ibhipru » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:12 pm

Based on the patent information, the alcohol seems to serve primarily to preserve the final product for several weeks as compared to less than a week without any preservative. I would guess if you were to make smaller batches lasting 4-5 days, the alcohol could be eliminated. I have tried the formula as presented using vodka with generally satisfactory results. My next effort will be a smaller batch with no alcohol. I think the key with the formula is to follow all the steps and not take any short cuts. Most of the people on Youtube supposedly making liposomal c are doing so rather quickly and I doubt any significant liposomes are being created. I would think that if the end product is very bitter, it is an emulsion not a liposome. I could be wrong as i like you are new to all this.

It's unfortunate, but the guy that started this thread doesn't seem to be around the forum any longer. His knowledge and input could be very useful.

qualityliposomalc
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#3  Post by qualityliposomalc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:06 am

ibhipru wrote:Based on the patent information, the alcohol seems to serve primarily to preserve the final product for several weeks as compared to less than a week without any preservative. I would guess if you were to make smaller batches lasting 4-5 days, the alcohol could be eliminated. I have tried the formula as presented using vodka with generally satisfactory results. My next effort will be a smaller batch with no alcohol. I think the key with the formula is to follow all the steps and not take any short cuts. Most of the people on Youtube supposedly making liposomal c are doing so rather quickly and I doubt any significant liposomes are being created. I would think that if the end product is very bitter, it is an emulsion not a liposome. I could be wrong as i like you are new to all this.

It's unfortunate, but the guy that started this thread doesn't seem to be around the forum any longer. His knowledge and input could be very useful.

I'm back for a little bit!

Ethyl alcohol is an organic solvent and these have been shown to really help liposome formation. Further, the patent that LivOn purchased uses the alcohol in exactly this capacity to help form liposomes.

That being said, you can certainly experience with less alcohol (or none). The easy way to test would be how it affects your bowel tolerance. A higher encapsulation means higher bowel tolerance (and vice versa).

Also, be really sure to watch the temperatures. This matters.

Good luck!

Chris

pounce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#4  Post by pounce » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:23 pm

Like Chris mentioned it would appear that the alcohol is to act as a solvent for the lecithin. Of course it can act as a preservative, but I wonder how much preservative is really needed with these components.

If you actually read the patents you will see that the lecithin being used is over 50% PC. He's mixing it with alcohol. He is then blending just the water and C and slowly injecting the lecithin and alcohol mixture into the blender. I think this is an important step. If you are adding a solvent thinned mixture into water slowly while blending the dispersion should be very good. The guess is that this should help form liposomes form without as much competition or complication from the bulk to follow.

I lived in Canada for a while and I never had a good cocktail. I guess that would explain it. :)

I know this post is a little old, but I'd use the strongest and highest quality you can find.

gwynnegibbons

Post Number:#5  Post by gwynnegibbons » Sat May 14, 2016 10:15 am

Hello everyone. This is my first post - nice to "meet" you all. I am putting together the ingredients as per the above instructions also, and am also lacking the ethyl alcohol. I've found some on eBay but would like some advice to check this is the correct stuff before I buy, if anyone has that knowledge. Many thanks! - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250-ml-Ethano ... Swxp9W9yOB

pounce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#6  Post by pounce » Sat May 14, 2016 1:24 pm

gwynnegibbons wrote:Hello everyone. This is my first post - nice to "meet" you all. I am putting together the ingredients as per the above instructions also, and am also lacking the ethyl alcohol. I've found some on eBay but would like some advice to check this is the correct stuff before I buy, if anyone has that knowledge. Many thanks! - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250-ml-Ethano ... Swxp9W9yOB

You can just as easily use vodka since your alcohol content in the end is maybe only 10%. You simply adjust the water ratio to result in the correct percentage.

Marcus River

Post Number:#7  Post by Marcus River » Thu May 26, 2016 1:09 pm

pounce wrote:
gwynnegibbons wrote:Hello everyone. This is my first post - nice to "meet" you all. I am putting together the ingredients as per the above instructions also, and am also lacking the ethyl alcohol. I've found some on eBay but would like some advice to check this is the correct stuff before I buy, if anyone has that knowledge. Many thanks! - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250-ml-Ethano ... Swxp9W9yOB

You can just as easily use vodka since your alcohol content in the end is maybe only 10%. You simply adjust the water ratio to result in the correct percentage.

I wonder if using a water-diluted alcohol in the lecithin portion of the formulation limits the formation if liposomes, even if you adjust the water in the actives or vitamin C + water side of the equation? The idea is to have no water in the lecithin component, and slowly add it to the water-based vitamin C formulation, which is then encapsulated. Hope I am making sense of this.

By the way, this is my first post, so thanks to all who are contributing!

pounce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#8  Post by pounce » Tue May 31, 2016 8:57 pm

It is my opinion that it doesn't matter.

ajhewitt

Post Number:#9  Post by ajhewitt » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:45 am

Do you have any mates who make home brew,my sons home brew still will give me pure alcohol in the high ninetes.costs peanuts to make. Cheers Alan

Return to “Liposomal Vitamin C”