Storage

Discussion of the benefits and disadvantages of commercial and homemade (DIY) liposomal vitamin C

Moderator: ofonorow

thrope

Storage

Post Number:#1  Post by thrope » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:45 am

How do people store liposomal vitamin C?

I have a bottle of LipoLife Gold which I have been storing in the fridge.

After about a week I notice a very strong difference in taste from what it was when it originally arrived. It has become much more acidic. I understand this suggests a failure of the encapsulation.

Is keeping it in the fridge a mistake that could explain that? I put it in the fridge because it was a bottle of open liquid that I am going to consume over the course of several weeks.

jara_j

Re: Storage

Post Number:#2  Post by jara_j » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:20 am

thrope wrote:After about a week I notice a very strong difference in taste from what it was when it originally arrived. It has become much more acidic. I understand this suggests a failure of the encapsulation.

Nobody want to discuss this topic? I have similar experience with my home-made lipoC. I have hypothesis that this could be caused by precipitation of vitamin C from solution in low temperature, when the solution is very concentrated. But I don't know if it is so. Maybe some experimental work could be done to clarify it.

About storage, I think that the real enemy that causes degradation of ascorbic acid is oxygen. If you avoid oxygen, you can leave it where you want. User norma67 point out forum at this interesting document http://new.chemistry-teaching-resources.com/Resources/CfENewHigher/Researching2016/D0242024.pdf. You can see in table 1 that if you close it in tight bottel or bag, rapid degradation is within first few hours or days and then it is very slow. No matter if it is transparent or brown, glas or nylon. I think in first few days oxygen is consumed and then no oxygen means no degradation. You can vary speed of degradation by temperature so you can get different times until it consumes all available oxygen, but if there is no oxygen, you can leave it in room temperature without degradation. But it is not advisable to freyuently open and close the bottle.

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: Storage

Post Number:#3  Post by tjohnson_nb » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:41 am

If you guys are on FB you should join this group for questions about making Lipo C
https://www.facebook.com/groups/298606076932868/?ref=bookmarks
'Always' and 'never' are 2 words you should always remember never to use.

Return to “Liposomal Vitamin C”