Dr. Sears is becoming one of my heros

Discussion of the 2009 Noble Prize in Medicine, focusing on substances that reduce telomere shortening by activating the human telomerase enzyme

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Dr. Sears is becoming one of my heros

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:11 pm

A Nutrition Pioneer
http://www.alsearsmd.com/2014/12/a-nutrition-pioneer/

Great article about Linus Pauling - and telomeres!

read a little further and I was happy to see Linus Pauling. I thought, “Great! They recognized what a pioneer he was…”

I was excited because Pauling is someone who’s close to home for me. He was a scientist who then became a nutritionist, and he was a contrarian. Someone who said to mainstream doctors, “You guys have missed the boat.”

But TIME didn’t say that about him. Instead, they chose to portray him as someone who went off the deep end. They wrote, “To many people, alas, the towering scientist who transformed chemistry is simply the guy who oversold vitamin C.”

3)Vitamin C does more than Linus Pauling knew. Vitamin C works by disarming molecules called free radicals, which attack healthy cells. But what we now know is that the protective caps on the ends of your DNA, called telomeres, are very sensitive to these attacks.

The shorter your telomeres, the older your cells act and the more susceptible they are to becoming cancerous. Vitamin C is very effective at stopping the shortening of your telomeres, which protects you from heart disease, cancer, and other diseases, too.

A Japanese study tested vitamin C’s effect on telomeres. Raising the level of vitamin C in the cells could slow down the shortening of telomeres up to 62%.

Another study found that skin cells treated with vitamin C kept their young firm shape because it slowed shortening of the cell DNA’s telomeres. The telomeres also suffered less damage in the presence of vitamin C.2
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Telomeres”