Silymarin increases telomerase activity 3-fold

Discussion of the 2009 Noble Prize in Medicine, focusing on substances that reduce telomere shortening by activating the human telomerase enzyme

Moderator: ofonorow

lolex
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Silymarin increases telomerase activity 3-fold

Post Number:#1  Post by lolex » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:34 am

Good Day !

For reasons I can't explain, I googled a link in this Al Sears paper that you (Owen) referenced in a post - http://www.alsearsmd.com/pdf/Telemere-S ... olume1.pdf

Here's a link to the relevant paper -
Per http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20838231

It states that Silymarin (Milk Thistle) supplementation "increased telomerase activity 3-fold, reduced the number of senescent cells, and increased EPC proliferative activity (up to 64%) "

Thought you might be interested.... Good Luck with the experiment !!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Silymarin increases telomerase activity 3-fold

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:41 pm

Thank you!
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Lone Dog
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by Lone Dog » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:19 am

On the site which talks about the ingredients of Product B (see other thread), about half way down there's a reference to a comment apparently made by Bill Andrews that Silymarin was 20x more powerful than Cyclo-A in vitro.

jimmylesante
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#4  Post by jimmylesante » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:35 am

Silymarin-- this is interesting. On eDOC's advice i started taking lots of silymarin- to help clear out my non-alcoholic fatty liver.
I lost weight effortlessly (8kgs)- i'm assuming from a cleaner liver able to do what it should do. The fact it increases telomerase activity is a bonus.
I'm about to start another bottle of silymarin.
I did notice about 30mins after taking silymarin my whole body heated up, pulse rate slightly higher, like i had gone for a gentle 5min jog. Not like B3 flush.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by ofonorow » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:45 am

Yes it is interesting !

Referring to the DeGrey ENDING AGING book he discusses strategies to fight cancer. One strategy is to turn off (block) telomerase in cancer cells because the more aggressive the cancer cell, the more telomerase they have to generate to support cell division.

Cancer cells have "learned" how to overcome the blocking protein that normally keeps telomerase shut off in human cells. Apparently they know how to do keep the blocking protein blocking, are able to turn off telomerase in cancer cells in test tubes, and cancer cells quickly die out.

So they tried a very interesting laboratory experiment in animals injecting them with a virus designed to block telomerase.

When the virus was not targeted - the animals lived longer, but one result was severe liver failure (When they were able to target the virus only to cancer cells, it was as or more successful - without the liver failure.)

Ergo, turning off telomerase harms the liver.

This experiment seems to show that the liver requires telomerase - perhaps more than other cells capable of cell division, and Bill Andrews mentioned that all cells have some telomerase, usually very little.

Putting this together, given silymarin's has remarkable restorative effects on the liver, and now silmyarin's strong property promoting telomerase, we not only have an explanation why silymarin may be so effective for liver malfunctions, but a strong indicator that in any telomerase activation strategy - silymarin is probably an important adjunct.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Telomeres”