Re-lengthened telomeres stay Re-lengthened??

Discussion of the 2009 Noble Prize in Medicine, focusing on substances that reduce telomere shortening by activating the human telomerase enzyme

Moderator: ofonorow

lolex
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re-lengthened telomeres stay Re-lengthened??

Post Number:#1  Post by lolex » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:43 pm

Owen,

I'm sure that I read in one of your Posts that once re-lengthened your telomeres stay that way [and degrade (if that's the term...) naturally, following the same rate of year by year process that originally led them being problematic].

This means that after draining your savings for, say, four years... buying TA65.... you can stop or move to a much less expensive maintenance regime.

Is my memory 'good' or am I imagining this???

Thanks... Looking forward to reading more telomere measurement results...

(Sorry, I meant to post this under an existing topic)

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Re-lengthened telomeres stay Re-lengthened??

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:53 am

I think it is true that every cell division, at least the daughter cell's telomeres shorten during mitosis. (I don't see how or why the original (mother) cell's telomeres would shorten. The mother's DNA is the pattern from which the child's DNA is derived.)

So without an opposing force to lengthen the child's telomeres, yes, they shorten over the course of life until no more cell division is possible. From my reading, telomeres less than 8,000 base pairs can lead to problems, because the telomeres wrap and cover the genes at the end of the chromosome. When the telomeres shorten, these wrapped genes are exposed and expressed, apparently to the detriment of the organism. (From a very technical Blackburn book on Telomeres)

Now, if there is a way to lengthen them, then yes, after you stop taking the product, they would continued the shortening process from their current extended length. Please note that for Ed Park (Telomere Timebombs) his telomeres continued shortening during the first year on TA-65. He increased his dosage up to 100 mg daily, and it required 5 years in total, but he claims his telomeres have lengthed to those of a teenager - and he does look good :-)
And he stopped taking TA-65.

Now we had hopes that the unique liposomes carrying the Cycolatragenol molecule would work better/quicker, and its only been about 8 months, but other than one younger woman, who is very ill, we haven't seen what we had hoped in those 8 months.

From considering how the measurements are made - from immune cells in the blood, and thinking that there must be enough "newly" created daughter cells to show any telomere lengthening, it is going to take time for the measurments to show it.

Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Telomeres”