Russian scientists slowed down aging: Synthetic compound developed in Russia slows down aging of mice with mutating

Discussion of Bruce Ames Triage theory, and the finding that Acetyl-L-Carnitine and Lipoic Acid reverses animal aging in the laboratory.

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Russian scientists slowed down aging: Synthetic compound developed in Russia slows down aging of mice with mutating

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:03 am

http://www.youthhealthmag.com/articles/45475/20170218/russian-scientists-slowed-down-aging-synthetic-compound-developed-in-slows-down-aging-of-mice-with-mutating.htm

My first thought is that while interesting, there is (and has been) a mitochondrial theory of aging. Bruce Ames credits Alpha Lipoic Acid and L-Acetyl Carnitine with being able to reverse mitochondrial aging.

The problem is, if the anti-aging solution doesn't address the ever shortening telomere length, even if our health is better, and we look younger, we still have that fixed expiration date.

If I read this correctly, they didn't extend the expected life span of mice, they created a genetic defect that shortened the life of a strain of mice, and overcame this defect with their new antioxidant compound. Good for people that are born with or develop such a defect.
Owen R. Fonorow, Orthomolecular Naturopath
My statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Any product mentioned is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.”

Return to “Mitochondrial Theory of Aging”