Monumental Contributions of Dr Bruce Ames

Discussion of Bruce Ames Triage theory, and the finding that Acetyl-L-Carnitine and Lipoic Acid reverses animal aging in the laboratory.

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Monumental Contributions of Dr Bruce Ames

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:50 am

I wish Dr. Ames would write a book (and if he already has, please let me know).

Dr. Bruce Ames made headlines years ago after announcing (in jest) that his group had made old rats start "dancing the macarena". They demonstrated the acectyl-l-carnitine (at high dosage) and lipoic acid (at high dosage) together seemed to reverse the aging process in laboratory animal experiments. (I have been looking for those photographs - before (old looking) and after (younger looking) and if anyone can find them, please post the link (as pictures really are worth a thousand words.)

While looking for these photos, I found this wonderful youtube lecture given by Dr. Bruce Ames. This lecture describes his group's work, how they measure, and what they found regarding age Reversal. Dr. Ames calls his theory of mitochondrial aging the "Triage Theory."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6K-ZijmRAI

Ames group was focused on mitrochondrial aging, so it is natural for them to assume that improving the function of the 500 or so mitochonria in every cell was the reason for their spectacular anti-aging and age-reversal results. After I read Ed Parks and Bill Andrews book, I wondered ... perhaps these nutrients (ALC/ALA) worked by increasing the length of telomeres?

We may be in a position to soon find out.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Monumental Contributions of Dr Bruce Ames

Post Number:#2  Post by Johnwen » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:35 am

Here's a list of some of his works but if you want to go further? On the top of the page Click on "Publications."
Then select a year and you'll find a whole lot more.

http://www.bruceames.org/bnamedia.php
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

Return to “Mitochondrial Theory of Aging”