DMSO effects on IOL

Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderator: ofonorow

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

DMSO effects on IOL

Post Number:#1  Post by exitium » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:52 pm

As the title would suggest does any one have any idea what impact DMSO eye drops (say 3-5% solution) would have on older Inter ocular lens implants?

maryclaire
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: DMSO effects on IOL

Post Number:#2  Post by maryclaire » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:51 pm

https://www.earthclinic.com/cures/cataracts2.html

There is a thread titled 'Formula' in the above link where Bev from Florida has a couple of entries...she has an IOL in one eye and she tried the DMSO drops in the other eye without the IOL and it clouded the lens.

I have drank 2 tsp a day of DMSO for a week or more but have never tried drops and I don't think I will try them due to the IOL's. I have 10+ year old IOL in both eyes and haven't noticed any changes in my vision from drinking it or putting it on my skin.

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#3  Post by exitium » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:16 am

Thanks for the link. I am a little skeptical that the gal has an IOL in one eye but used drops in the other and had it affected the IOL eye. Granted she was using a 50% concentration (seems very high to me for eye drops) and she also used distilled water and not a sanitary saline for the eyes along with glutathione. I would suspect larger doses orally would cause the same issue. Another concern is the IOL itself, there are different materials that are used from acrylic to silicone based.

maryclaire
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#4  Post by maryclaire » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:44 am

I have looked extensively on the web and can find no research or first hand accounts of DMSO damaging artificial lens except this one. My daughter is a surgery RN and she has attended hundreds of cataract surgeries and she doesn't think it can happen either. She's going to ask the doctors about it if she gets the chance. She thinks the lady with the damaged lens has something else going on. After a year or so of having mine, I did have to have the YAG laser to break up some kind of membrane that builds up which is common.

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#5  Post by exitium » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 am

maryclaire wrote:I have looked extensively on the web and can find no research or first hand accounts of DMSO damaging artificial lens except this one. My daughter is a surgery RN and she has attended hundreds of cataract surgeries and she doesn't think it can happen either. She's going to ask the doctors about it if she gets the chance. She thinks the lady with the damaged lens has something else going on. After a year or so of having mine, I did have to have the YAG laser to break up some kind of membrane that builds up which is common.

Yea, I had the membrane cloudiness happen as well. That's something the gal didn't mention, I wonder if that is all thats happening to her. Or perhaps corneal cloudiness or calcium buildup could be a lot of things. She didn't mention a doctors diagnosis or her condition that I saw but granted just skimmed it.

I've used it orally and before some time ago and topically currently and never had any eye issues from it either. Have IOL's in both eyes and corneal edema in one that I am hoping the DMSO will help with. Its only been about a week but it is may be helping slightly.

eDOC
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#6  Post by eDOC » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:16 pm

DMSO has none issues in patients treated with IOL and ideal substance/med to treat/cure raised IOP/ Glaucoma.

eDOC!!
Rookie, rusty, subaverage doc but one that gives results. But do remember no freebies. Email questions, wouldn't be answered free, I'd be charging for a consult. So think twice, before sending a mail.

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#7  Post by exitium » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:29 am

Thanks for sharing your feedback eDoc, great to know it helps with glaucoma! In my case, I am looking to help with corneal edema thats pretty bad. Only using a mild solution of 1ml DMSO to 30ml of saline and haven't been using it long but I *think* its helping. Hard to tell since vision is so bad to begin with.

eDOC
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#8  Post by eDOC » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:10 pm

You're welcome. My personal recommendation would be to increase it's concentration. Correct, works great for my Glaucoma patients.
I have relived corneal edema in my patients in 48 hrs, using DMSO drops.

eDOC!!
Rookie, rusty, subaverage doc but one that gives results. But do remember no freebies. Email questions, wouldn't be answered free, I'd be charging for a consult. So think twice, before sending a mail.

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”