Hernia Mesh and the Flu (Split from Continuous Glucose Monitor)

Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Hernia Mesh and the Flu (Split from Continuous Glucose Monitor)

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:10 am

I picked up the flu (Type A) traveling.. Fever hit 103, and when it first began, I thought it was a severe head /upper GI cold. No clue it was the flu. As it became hard to breathe - I remembered Levy's story of the New Zealander Adam Smith - and started a high liposomal regimen. This seemed to work. The fever broke, but I'm still not really over the damn infection.
Owen R. Fonorow, Follow #OWENRFONOROW at twitter

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Continuous Glucose Monitor - Says it is affected by High Dose Vitamin C

Post Number:#2  Post by Johnwen » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:18 pm

Let’s see H1N1 subtype (A) or better known as H3N1 AKA Swine Flu!
Guess you thought in 1968-69 you were lucky and didn’t get sick!!!
“Surprise,” IT GOT YOU NOW!!!
The good news is you survived and now are immune to this strain however not to the Yamagata lineage or Victoria lineage (b) which this year (17-18) cycle of shots was for but didn’t cover the (A) lineage. So it gave about 30% protection for what’s going around.
Good to go on the LIPO C but don’t forget the Lysine up your dose on this also because while your immune system was busy with the flu bug it tends to ignore the other viruses in your body and the lysine can work against them.
You might want to pick up some throat lozenges like Chloraseptic or something similar. Because this bug usually messes up the throat which becomes more noticeable as the flu bug wanes.
Try to remember the places NOT to be during Flu season!
(1) Hospitials
(2) Airplanes, Trains, Buses
(3) Concerts
(4) Sit down Restaurants
(5) Movie theaters
(6) any place people are clustered together.

Hope you feel better and get that darn mesh out!!!
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Continuous Glucose Monitor - Says it is affected by High Dose Vitamin C

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:19 am

Thx. Speaking of the mesh... So the wound center is ready to throw in the towel. (I see the surgeon today and we are all interested in what he says.) The would (hole near the naval) had gotten too small for the wound vac, and had almost stopped draining... Now, it is draining as much as the original abscess..

I saw my GP as a hospital follow-up (did I mention I was put in the hospital again - 5th time in 12 months - as a precaution because of the flu and given my "history.") He mentioned that there might be some intermediate surgery - that trims the mesh, rather than taking the huge goddamn thing out.. and replacing with what??

He also told me a story of one of his male patients, who like me, had gone to the wound center and could not get the wound to heal. My doc advised packing the wound with "cane sugar" and the wound then healed almost immediately... Can't remember if there was a mesh issue, but I have nothing to lose at this point - so I have begun packing the wound with cane sugar (Theory is similar to the honey already in the literature.)

My alt doc shook his head, but we did like the idea of trying sodium ascorbate... if the cane sugar remedy doesn't work

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Hernia Mesh and the Flu (Split from Continuous Glucose Monitor)

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:41 am

Surgeon is willing to do a "limited" mesh removal - trim some amount from the bottom... Scheduled for May. Issue for me is that he says so much tissue will be removed that i will require a 4th surgery - to insert even more mesh :evil:

Go for a second opinion tomorrow.

I have also contacted the best litigators (law firm) in Chicago.

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by Johnwen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:14 am

When you go for you 2nd opinion they will have it all laid out for them meaning your medical records and transcript of the surgery. With all this info available to them it could be a good time to ask. If a, “Plug & Patch,” Might be a good way to go and if it could possibly do away with the volume of mesh they placed in you??

It might also be a good time to ask if a prophylactic antibiotic treatment prior to the surgery might be appropriate???

Don’t forget to relate your last experience and ask about what might be a better anesthetic given your medical history??

Good Luck!!
research!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#6  Post by ofonorow » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:21 am

The 2nd opinion group had gotten my medical records previously, but apparently not the complete operation report, so they don't know how the original mesh was surgically implanted.

The original surgeon has agreed to a "limited" surgery - removing the bottom, but not the entire mesh. This is my strong preference, because I'd rather go through 2 or 3 "easier" surgeries, than the long, involved complete removal. However, the 2nd opinion group would not perform the limited surgery (giving it a zero chance of success). However, the 2nd opinion doctor did say that if the CT scans showed fluid only at the bottom (and not through out) the mesh, there was at least a chance the limited approach might work (and that he'd be the happiest doc in the word if that happens. Of course, he doesn't think it will)

The 2nd opinion group would do a complete removal, some kind of "cross stitch" repair, and they would use a "bio" (biodegradable?) mesh and thread that would be inserted to provide strength during the healing process, but would dissolve in 3 or 4 months.

The original surgeon made it clear that I would require "another" mesh because I wouldn't have much tissue left. It wasn't clear whether he had a permanent, or biodegradable mesh in mind, and I have submitted a question on this to his nurse. Since my body has rejected "foreign objects" since I was in my 20s - long before I started high dose vitamin C - it makes no sense to me to replace with another permanent mesh.

I am still up in the air about what to do. There is an MD in Las Vegas with impeccable credentials who specializes in hernia mesh removals, and I suspect he is very busy. I may contact him for a 3rd opinion, but the size of the mesh, and my adrenal malfunction and diabetes makes mine a special case, to say the least.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by ofonorow » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:25 am

Taken out of my hands... Another abscess has formed, over the mesh, but above the last one, so I have to go in (again) for "emergency" surgery to clean out the new abscess.. At least these abscess-cleaning surgeries have typically been 'easy' in the past.. But I am still facing removal of the mesh in a future "series" of operations. Not a happy camper.

And I was compiling my medical records, and made the mistake of reading the various surgery reports... Sigh.. I'd forgotten about all the complications putting the darn mesh in.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#8  Post by ofonorow » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:12 am

Update, and my evolving theory of cortisol. The surgeon who originally implanted the mesh has thrown in the towel, and referred me to a world expert at the Cleveland Clinic. (I'm not traveling to Cleveland) The hernia experts at another hospital have decided that I don't need two surgeries, but the "big one" - the mesh removal is going to happen soon, probably next week. They say while a major surgery, my case is not that complicated. This is true so long as I get my cortisol/hydrocortisone. :D

The only confounding factor that may delay the surgery is a cough that started when I got the flu, and won't go away.

How to get rid of this cough led me to thinking about what causes symptoms, like the pus in my abdomen (3 cultures failed to find a bacteria), the mucous in my lungs (long after the virus was vanquished), or the current pain in my back, reminiscent of the initial low cortisol episode on 2011, i.e., what turned out to be fluid build-up in the pericardial sac around my heart. All these symptoms keep the doctors looking for the infection.

What if there isn't any infection, either in my abdomen, or lungs. What if the body produces symptoms as a side effect of low cortisol levels? The tissue needing the cortisol produces histamines (or other substances) leading to the locality of the symptom.

Most people, when this happens, produce more of their own cortisol, so that after the local tissue obtains what it needs, the symptoms subside. Under this theory, symptoms are related to cortisol levels, not the underlying infections per say. Thanks to the Jefferies' group research (as related in SAFE USES OF CORTISOL, 3rd Edition, William Mck Jefferies) we know that the first thing that happens when we get the flu is that the virus turns off the brain's signal to the adrenals to produce cortisol.

And what happens after the flu develops? All the terrible flu symptoms. (Ergo, everyone that has had the flu knows how I, a cortisol-depend adrenal insufficient, feels if I don't have cortisol for for 12 to 24 hours.)

Why would the flu virus evolve to do this? Logically because cortisol is anti-viral, and the virus has to shut off cortisol in order to invade our cells.

My problem is that without a finger-stick measure to know my blood cortisol levels, I have to guess how much to increase after a stress. Most people can make ordinary amounts of daily cortisol, and will respond to stress by making more, naturally. They don't think about, much as a non-diabetic doesn't think about the pancreas automatically increasing insulin in response to eating.

A diabetic can easily measure their blood sugar, and thus determine how much insulin to take. The diabetic injecting insulin mimics what the body should be doing. The glucose meter makes all the difference, otherwise the diabetic would be guessing, which would be a major disaster.

If cortisol levels inside cells or tissues is the determiner of symptoms, most people will handle this naturally via the communication between the brain and adrenal glands. They don't have to think about it. Resolving the stress (usually infection) reduces the need for cortisol.

Note: There is no corresponding way to determine how much cortisol to take, in a cortisol-dependent especially under stress, other than by the symptoms. For example, up until recently, 30 mg of hydrocortisone kept me symptom free (implying that my own adrenals could produce about 10 mg of cortisol). Lately I've had to increase to 40 mg to keep fingers and toes from inflaming, but what if I still require more to become symptom free?

Under this theory, '"something" perhaps the dental work, increased the requirement for cortisol, creating a shortage, which led to the mesh abscess.

Under this theory, my cough (and abdomen) and now back pain are telling me that I need more cortisol than my body can produce and that I am now supplementing. The big problem is how much more should I be taking?

I know that right now 40 mg per day isn't cutting it... Would 50? Would 75? Would 100?

confused1
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#9  Post by confused1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:07 pm

I doubt there's any new information in here for you but I was recently reading these articles in the Townsend Letter. http://www.townsendletter.com/Jan2018/cortisol0118.html
http://www.townsendletter.com/FebMarch2 ... l0218.html
I think they recommend up to 60 grams spread throughout the day and have other tips for increasing absorption.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#10  Post by ofonorow » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:45 am

Thanks.

So my alt doc is a world expert on a non prescription antibiotic (that is used primarily in Africa to cure Malaria) called when he heard about my condition, and suggested MMS/chlorite. I had never tried it because a) I hadn't had many infections, but b) its a flash oxidizer, and you aren't supposed to take vitamin C with it. http://www.healthsalon.org/309/thomas-lee-hesselink-md-writes-on-mms-and-sodium-chlorite/

And this- reminds me this other poster with a sick child should be made aware of this.. You can take it orally, and with DMSO I believe.

It works and fast! (I wish I could have another IV today)

But first, when I googled this - the first results were a series of search finds "debunking" the good doctor.. Not unexpected I guess..

I actually attacked this from 2 directions. He gave me the maximum Chlorite dosage (he usually works up) and a high Cortisol dosage IV.

As I noticed it was working I started think about how and why... The doc would say I'm "over analyzing"...

I'm starting to wonder if starving the energy supply of the bacteria (like those researchers in the UK stave cancer stem cell mitochondria) is an unknown mechanism.

To review last night after the IV.

Chest seemed to dry up about 3-4 hours after the IV.

But my blood sugar after dinner was high, reading about 320. I took 35 units of long acting lantus, normal dose, and an unusually
high dosage of fast acting insulin (20 units Novalog). Normally my blood sugar drops like a rock on a lower nightly Novalog dosage.

Woke up during the night (I thought 3 a.m., but my meter says midnight) checked my blood sugar, and it was 420???

It had gone way up - not done on a large insulin dose

I took another 15 units of Novalog (in case the readings are being skewed) and it only dropped 70 points to 350 and is holding steady.

Usually drops 10 points per unit, so 15 units would have dropped 420 by 150 points, or 270. (Not to mention the long acting working in the background).

The supposition is that insulin is being blocked, as in a Type II diabetic, from "insulin resistance," perhaps by the flash oxidation of MMS.

The only other time interstitial fluid readings seem to be strangely high for a time, is after an IV/C. (The assumption is that the meter is reading all the C as glucose)

I wonder if the chlorite "oxidized" the GLUT (vitamin C receptors) causing insulin resistance? And this blocking glucose might explain some of the antibiotic effects (Like what the researchers in the UK found while studying the mitochondria of cancer stem cells. The D- antibiotic starves the mitochondria)

12 hours after the IV - around 3 in the morning, just as the good doctor said (okay to take vitamin C in 12 hours), it started dropping, and my sugar is now 157 (without taking any vitamin C)

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#11  Post by ofonorow » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:15 am

Back to the future... MMS/Chlorite works like a miracle - but effect wears off in 12 hours, (along with the insulin resistance which doc was unaware of - but how many have this libre continuous glucose monitors :-)

I beat my personal "best" in CT-Scans in one day.. 2 last Friday! I had a scheduled abdominal CT-Scan on 3 p.m. Friday to verify that I can have one large mesh removal surgery, rather than require other surgery first surgery to clear any problems caused by the second abscess. By 11 p.m. that night, after severe pain in the lower chest, I was back in the hospital and wound up with a 2nd CT-Scan of the day... So 2 Chest X-rays since last Tuesday, and 2 CT-Scans... My insurance is of course "on my case"... They have codes, but they don't really know what is wrong with me.

Turns out the wound center had cultured a staff infection from the abscess last March (may have already mentioned this) but i was not told. My primary care guy now has to clear me for surgery, and when he saw the culture, he immediately figures the chest thing must be a staff but resistant to the antibiotic they put me on last November! I am starting to doubt the influenze type A diagnosis.. I may have tested positive, but I think this staff infection in my chest may be the root cause.. lowering my immune response.. (WBC was 2000, indicating a viral infection) So everything may relate back to this damn mesh - which all docs say "can't happen." Must have been infected when it was first places, etc.

And this makes 2 ER visits where I wasn't hospitalized - which is one benefit of my complicated medical records. They give me IV 'steroids' (cortisol), I recover and can go home. No doc wants to admit me after seeing my record :-)

So writing an affidavit for my new attorneys, I had a flash. I think I may know how the mesh got infected. It is a novel idea, and if this is a) a known risk, b) the mesh companies knew it but kept it to themselves, then c) my lawsuit might bring the biggest mesh jury award in the history of USA jurisprudence. Time will tell. (And the non-profit vitamin C foundation will greatly benefit).

jimmylesante
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#12  Post by jimmylesante » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:55 pm

Take some dmso with your antibiotics, its supposed to overcome resistance bacteria.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#13  Post by ofonorow » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:08 pm

Good idea! Thank you.

Vitamin C saved my life tonight. I don't think this statement is an exaggeration.

About 20 minutes ago I was in more pain (lower back right lung) than what sent me to the ER Friday night. It was harder to breath, and if I coughed I felt like surgical pain, and I couldn't breathe. I was ready to dial 911.

Then I remembered Professor Malik and his Sepsis discovery!

The chlorite/MMS works by oxidation, and you are not supposed to take vitamin C 12 hours before or after the chlorite. I got lax, and let my vitamin C lapse after Saturday's 2nd IV. Bad boy.

Coincidentally, I am working on the Bioavailability of Vitamin C paper that has been peer-reviewed and will be published in the next edition of the Journal of Orthomolecuclar Medicine (JOM). (The paper is 10 times what it was after Dr. Steve Hickey's review, by the way.) So I am looking at the paper's charts showing that oral ascorbic acid raises blood levels as high as an IV/C - in the first few minutes. Duh! I know the way to do my own IV/C! So I have begun taking regular 10 gram ascorbic acid (and some sodium ascorbate) gulps. Ouila, pain gone in about 30 minutes..

I also remembered that our liposomal Panacea quickly erases infections. Duh. Gulped a half bottle of that too.

So what about Professor Malik? I was taking cortisol, a lot of oral cortisol, or 1/2 of his formula of vitamin C and cortisol. But according to some research, if the cortisol receptors are oxidized, cortisol can't enter cells to do its anti-inflammatory work. The MMS and/or illness apparently oxidized my cortisol receptors, so I required the redox (un-oxidative) effect of high dose vitamin C to clear the oxidized receptors. If it wasn't for professor Malik and his work, ironically, I would be on the way to the hospital, and since they never give vitamin C... Because I of all people wasn't taking my C!

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#14  Post by Johnwen » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:31 pm

OMG! Owen
I take off for a week and it seems like your knocking your self out!

From what I’m reading in your latest post here is your chasing ghost symptoms and creating new ones in the process. Sounds like something the Big Pharma guys would do. Create new combos of meds to counteract what the other ones are doing to you.
Or Better known as “The dog chasing it’s tail!”

My suggestion would be to Stop the madness and go back on your usual routine. Then add this to your routine Taken during your largest meal of the day.

https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Oregano-Oil- ... B0013OXFBI

This is Amazon’s ad but it’s pretty well available at most Vitamin stores.
I would say start with 2 with food for about 4 days then down to one for a couple of weeks. Of course they’ll probably want to do their “Slice and dice.” on you soon, so adjust your schedule to stop the day before.

Here’s some reading as to why I would suggest this since you had a bad experience with the Oil type the pill would be the route to go. Then enjoy the “Italian Burps!”

https://draxe.com/oregano-oil-benefits- ... tibiotics/

FOOD FOR THOUGHT;
As Far as infections where external objects are placed in the body (prosthetics) such as mesh the most common cause of infection is in the handling of the object.
Think for a moment about the amount of handling that is done to the package before it meets it’s new home. You’ll can surmise that a lot of germs can accumulate on it’s outer wrapping before it’s opened for placement.
Usually a member of the surgical team who handles used items and is considered Non sterile will present the package and without touching the interior contents open the package and present it to the surgeon. That way the object will maintain sterility. If the package is picked up and opened then the same person grabs a corner or another area and hands it to the operating team the chance of contamination is elevated considerably.
Maybe a good question for the surgeon????
research!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#15  Post by ofonorow » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:24 am

hi johnwen, this will have to be short because i can only type with one hand to not disturb iv antibiotic

all is well finally as i am in hospital getting what i need. iv cortisol to get rid of all the false symptoms so they can focus on curing the pneumonia.

like pulling teeth 2 get admitted. i have gone been to the ER twice since Fri, have had 2 ct scans (on the same day) and three chest Xrays in the past week. fri they gave me iv cortisol iv, i got better and was released from ER

sunday symptoms worse. knew i needed iv cortisol because the stress of the chest infection made it impossible to self dose orally at home.

second er doc said understood adrenal insufficiency yet tests showed nothing wrong. like pulling teeth to get admitted

ive never wanted to be in hospital where docs think i look great and didnt want to admt me.

more later when i can type

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”