Article claims Diabetes drug METFORMIN lowers B12 levels

Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Article claims Diabetes drug METFORMIN lowers B12 levels

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Wed May 16, 2018 5:29 am

Diabetes: Is THIS drug hiding a deadly secret?
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/959885/diabetes-drug-side-effects-lowers-vitamin-b

Yet patients are not being warned that the drug also lowers levels of vitamin B12 and this can trigger peripheral neuropathy - a form of nerve damage which affects around half of all people suffering from diabetes.

Peripheral neuropathy weakens cardiac tissue, increasing the risk of a heart attack, and causes ulcers which refuse to heal and result in an average of 20 amputations a day.

This nerve damage is most commonly caused by prolonged high blood sugar levels.

However it can also be caused by a deficiency of vitamin B12, and dozens of studies confirm that metformin disrupts our ability to absorb this nutrient.

I don't know if the above is true, but I do know that Life Extension has long touted METFORMIN, especially because of the reduction of risk of pancreatic cancer in those who take it. If the above is true, then making sure vitamin B12 levels are adequate would be important.
Owen R. Fonorow, Follow #OWENRFONOROW at twitter

pamojja
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: Article claims Diabetes drug METFORMIN lowers B12 levels

Post Number:#2  Post by pamojja » Wed May 16, 2018 8:48 am

ofonorow wrote:If the above is true, then making sure vitamin B12 levels are adequate would be important.

It is my experience with my yearly 6-weeks vacation in India, where I always take Metformin to somewhat help with the higher carb-intake there, that my serum levels of B12 decline sharply afterwards. And during that period I have to supplement more Methylcobalamin to maintain levels.

Also I get angina-like chest-pain when my CoQ10 intake goes below 160 mg/d, and so also on Metformin. So depletion of CoQ10 is an other one to keep in mind with Metformin.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Article claims Diabetes drug METFORMIN lowers B12 levels

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Thu May 17, 2018 4:33 am

Thank you pamojja for the report of your personal experience. Interesting.

I will report (again) that the b12 patches (b12patch.com) do raise vitamin B12 levels - without shots. These patches are worn for 24 hours, behind the ear, once per week, so the 4 patches last one month.

A segment of the population will not be able to absorb even the spec (micrograms) of vitamin B12 necessary to maintain proper blood levels. The mythelated and/or sublingual forms may (or may not) get vitamin B12 into the blood stream. Usually, people with "pernicious anemia" get vitamin B12 shots. The b12patch.com patches work without needles and remove the variable of whether you have intrinsic factor in your gut (the substance that is required to absorb B12 into the blood stream.)

A strong indicator whether you require the patch (B-complex with B12 isn't working) is whether you suffer depression. A doctor in the UK observed that his pernicious anemia patient's depression cleared after they were given their B12 shots. He began treating all his patients suffering depression with B12 shots, and reported success. Last night, my brother Robert told me that the strongest positive reaction he has ever experienced taking a nutrient, other than vitamin C, was when he wore the B12 patch. The "uplifting" effect of having proper vitamin B12 blood levels, I presume.

I have no affiliation with the company (b12patch.com). My late aunt had pernicious anemia and I was able to monitor her B12 blood test results before and after the patch. Blood levels rose significantly after we applied the patch.
Owen R. Fonorow, Follow #OWENRFONOROW at twitter

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”