FDA has noticed and is attacking this forum

Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

FDA has noticed and is attacking this forum

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:30 am

We just received a FDA warning letter Dated April 17, 2017 for the vitamin C web site. The government says we are violating the law when we imply vitamin C products can be used to cure, mitigate, treat or prevent disease. The FDA cites the "claims" on our alerts page, such as "Vitamin C is Anti-viral: High Doses do Cure the Common Cold.", and "Non-Toxic" chemo is a miraculous promise of vitamin C". These "claims" are illegal.

On page 3, the FDA letter reads:

On the forums under vitamincfoundation.org/forum

o Examples of threads that promote your products to be used as drugs

o A topic title "Vitamin C and Cancer with the description: This forum will be devoted to the study of ascorbate (high dose vitamin C) for the treatment of cancer.
o A topic titled Heart Disease and Stroke with the Description: Answers to questions about vitamin C and its relation to all forms of cardiovascular disease
o A topic titled Infectious Disease and Toxins with the description Discuss vitamin C research and usefulness fighting infections disease and toxins.
Owen R. Fonorow, Orthomolecular Naturopath
My statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Any product mentioned is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.”

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: FDA has noticed and is attacking this forum

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:34 am

One option is to make the entire forum private - until the laws are changed and the old guard is removed from power. We hate to have to knuckle under, and are open to other ideas.
My statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Any product mentioned is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.”

jimmylesante
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#3  Post by jimmylesante » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:07 am

Land of the free.

Best thing to do is shift webpage and forum to a friendly domain. Perhaps follow the poker sites that were chased out of USA and the stream sites for movies.
Then the FDA can be a jobsworth with someone else.

Joanna45
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#4  Post by Joanna45 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:22 pm

If you make the site private can we still access it...we just cannot see unless we are a private member? would hate to lose this site..

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by ofonorow » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:07 am

This is not the first time the FDA has attacked vitamin C. We are obtaining a legal opinion and depending on the outcome, we may go on the offensive. Its become crystal clear that these attacks by the Government on vitamin C have little or nothing to do with the public interest or public health. And in case you have forgotten, according to the former editor of the New England Journal of Medicine, Marcia Angell in her book The Truth About the Drug Companies: How They Deceive Us and What to Do About It https://www.amazon.com/Truth-About-Drug-Companies-Deceive/dp/0375760946 the profits of the 10 largest pharmaceutical companies in the Fortune 500 exceed the profits of the other 490 largest companies combined! ) This unprecedented power concentrated in these few companies creates a special interest that obviously influences the Federal Food and Drug Administration.

The FDA interprets the Food and Drug law in a way that gives drug companies a monopoly on products (drugs) that are intended for use in the cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease.

The obvious problem is that vitamin C is a prime example of a nutrient which is not a drug by any stretch of the imagination,

Lets review some history. By 1992, Linus Pauling had invented his therapy for cardiovascular disease, he and Matthias Rath had applied for patents. Later, Pauling was interviewed by a journal and filmed a video lecture in which he said:

"I think we can get almost complete control of cardiovascular disease, heart attacks and strokes by the proper use of (vitamin C and lysine) ... even cure it." -http://www.hearttechnology.com/Pauling_Last_Published_Interview.html

Pauling went on to say in the lecture (available on video):

"Well, I don't know that there is a need for a randomized prospective, double blind controlled trial when you get evidence of this sort, the value of large intakes of vitamin C and also of lysine for preventing the deposition of atherosclerotic plaques, and preventing death from cardiovascular disease."

Linus Pauling
1993 Unified Theory Lecture

Here we have one of America's great scientists, one of the greatest scientists of all time, making the claim that Vitamin C can provide almost "complete control of cardiovascular disease, heart attacks and strokes... even cure it."

How many people in the world know that Linus Pauling made such a claim? How many doctors know? And why don't they know? Incredibly, there have been no (zero) published studies in the medical literature. (At least with respect to vitamin C and cancer, research is being actively conducted around the world. Linus Pauling wrote a book and was filmed discussing vitamin C and Cancer.)

The fact is that vitamin C fills the FDA's "drug" square because Vitamin C can "cure, mitigate, treat and prevent" disease; and it is arguably better doing this than any drug on the market for a wide variety of conditions and diseases.

One could argue that the 1984 DSHEA law did (or should have) changed this definition of what constitutes a "drug." And even if vitamin C is considered a "drug" from this artificial construct, the DSHEA law should have removed vitamin C from the jurisdiction of the FDA.

Just keep in mind that this interpretation of the law has one purpose: To protect the obscene profits of the pharmaceutical giants.

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#6  Post by exitium » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:30 am

So much for the 1st amendment.

That being said, I would make the forum completely private, its simply not worth fighting with the government over.

johnyascorbate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#7  Post by johnyascorbate » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:13 am

Did the FDA give you a timetable to satisfy their demands?

TommyTurtle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#8  Post by TommyTurtle » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:04 am

I've only recently discovered this site and forum and finding it very helpful and encouraging. Completely in agreement re big pharma strategies to maintain profits over public benefit. Wow, free speech under danger in the bastion of democracy. A huge disappointment and we cannot be timid in standing up to this threat. However we need to be smart in choosing a response which can multiply the sites' reach and effectiveness, not just maintain.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#9  Post by ofonorow » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:16 pm

johnyascorbate wrote:Did the FDA give you a timetable to satisfy their demands?

We appreciate the support. The FDA gives companies 15 days to respond to these warning letters.

zarfas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#10  Post by zarfas » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:28 pm

exitium wrote:So much for the 1st amendment.

That being said, I would make the forum completely private, its simply not worth fighting with the government over.

Id be willing to give to a fund to help fight the FDA
I dont care if the forum private, etc, I just want access to it

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#11  Post by ofonorow » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:42 am

Thanks again for the support.

If we do attempt to fight this, we would approach the many Health Freedom groups and supplement companies. We would have to convince them that they would benefit from the freedom of speech we Americans are all taught to believe we have. So yes, there would have to be a fund.

zarfas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#12  Post by zarfas » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:39 am

ofonorow wrote:Thanks again for the support.

If we do attempt to fight this, we would approach the many Health Freedom groups and supplement companies. We would have to convince them that they would benefit from the freedom of speech we Americans are all taught to believe we have. So yes, there would have to be a fund.

damn....well, let us know what we(average forum members) what's going on and what can do to help!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#13  Post by ofonorow » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:40 am

The FDA has posted the warning letter,

https://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/2017/ucm553653.htm

and we have been contacted by media outlets. Stay tuned.

Joanna45
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#14  Post by Joanna45 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:36 pm

Owen
You would think that the FDA would have better things to do than go after this Site and Vitamin C. They should be going after the giant companies that put chemicals in the food we eat..the long list that is in most all packaged foods. It's a sad time in our country when you don't know if you are getting real food or not. And not even to mention the pesticides that are put in the ground for our produce and then sprayed when they are growing..

To go after vitamin C that does so much good and does no harm if you decide to use it..it's disgraceful.

And all the drugs that are on the market with the side effects they produce..

Regards
Joanna

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#15  Post by exitium » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:39 pm

Joanna45 wrote:Owen
You would think that the FDA would have better things to do than go after this Site and Vitamin C.

Don't ever underestimate the desire for government employees to justify their existence by wasting tax payer dollars.

Not long ago I got a call on my personal phone from the FDA, they left me a message regarding a protein supplement I purchased and how the manufacturer of the "whey protein" forgot the warning that the "whey protein" was derived from dairy. They called back a week later to follow up and make sure I got and understood the voice mail and to ask if I had ever received a letter from the manufacturer correcting their labeling "oversight".

When I talked to the woman I literally laughed in her face. I asked the same question as you, so you don't have anything better to do that protect me from some big bad company because they failed to tell me my "whey" protein was sourced from dairy????

I said, isnt that just like calling me to warn me my peanut butter is made from peanuts?

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”