Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderator: ofonorow

lolalola
Contributor
Contributor

drunk feeling after taking vit c

Post Number:#1  Post by lolalola » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:17 am

hi all,

i have concluded that vitamin c taken in the morning produces a drunken effect on me.
the drunkeness has happened a few times, to which i ceased taking vitamin c. happens with powder, or tablets.
taking a small amount today of AA powder (possibly 1/5th of a teaspoon), has resulted in a slight drunken daze.

i do not think it is specifically the vit c, but possible an effect the vitamin is having on the body.

does anyone have any ideas?

kind regards,
adam

Lunes Payling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: drunk feeling after taking vit c

Post Number:#2  Post by Lunes Payling » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:42 am

First, my namesake Linus Pauling recommended not stopping supplemental vitamin C "even for s single day." - for other readers.

Second, if there is some kind of effect, it may have to do with detoxification. This means that after the toxins are expelled, usually through the skin in the form of a cold sore, you should be fine. The theory is that your immune system "wakes up" the more vitamin C you take.

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by Johnwen » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:56 am

Hypoglycemia aka Low blood sugar!

If you have low blood sugar to start with and then consume a good dose of
V-C your blood sugars will drop further.
Even though V-C is not a sugar it is similarly taken into the body and cells as sugar. Meaning that the body senses a rise in sugar and insulin is produced to handle the spike which then means your actual blood sugars will drop even further then the low levels will create this effect.
When you experience this have someone smell your breath!
If they say it smells kind of fruity or sweet your hypoglycemic at that point.
Solution: Eat something first then wait about 5 or 10 minutes and take your V-C.
If it still persists see your Doc and get your blood sugars checked!
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

lolalola
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#4  Post by lolalola » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:34 am

Thank you for your response Lunes Payling.

Johnwen, I do not know what to say, I feel you have given me a great insight.
I have suspected now for a period of a few months that I have blood sugar issues.
Your explanation, fits my current theories. I think I am going to order some blood glucose testing equipment, and take it from there.

Can I also ask you what you think of this?
I am still taking Vit C before bed. The only time I take Vit C.
I have done some crude testing, but what I am seeing is, the smaller dose I take at night (e.g. 500mg tablet), results in a very foggy, grumpy, moody me in the morning. Whereas taking a higher dose (e.g. 1gram), results in me waking more refreshed and alert.
I also get hunger cramps in the early morning.
I feel waking up either feeling great/ready/alert, or feeling really grump/foggy/miserable/not-able-to-get-out-of-bed is to do with blood sugar. The stomach cramps for food in the early morning, to me signal blood sugar falling. I imagine these cramps wake me up also, and then I truck on through them, getting some more sleep, only for my blood sugars to fall even more so, and wake up feeling dreadful a couple of hours later.

Do you see any reason as to why supping higher dose Vit C at night before sleep would result in waking up feeling completely different?

Thank you for your assistance with this.
Adam

lolalola
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#5  Post by lolalola » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:20 am

if it matters, today was one of those days where i woke up feeling pretty dreadful.
i left it a good four hours, had a banana, and now i feel pretty stimulated, possibly overstimulated.

my evening meal is always very carb heavy, lots of potatoes, fruit.

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#6  Post by Johnwen » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:40 am

Adam
Till you get your glucose meter, test strips, lancet, lancers, alcohol wipes.
Try getting on the scale and see what your weight is on waking and before bed. See if there is any changes that relate to your mood.
Something else that you can try. As soon as you get up head to the sink or fridge and get and drink about 8 oz. of water. Then do what you do and see if there is any change.
When you get your meter and get a grip on how to use it.
Check on waking before taking anything and before bed!
This will give you an idea what’s going on there.
Also try taking another V-C with your morning meal.
Once you get some numbers we can see what’s going on there.
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

lolalola
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#7  Post by lolalola » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:17 am

hi Johnwen,all,

Johnwen, i want to run this by you, last night's experience. if you have any thoughts, or areas you think it might be beneficial for me to explore, please let me know.

i decided to take 2 grams last night. i had 1 gram with my evening meal, and 1 gram before bed. i don't think i've took 2 grams in a while. both tablets with bioflavanoids.
and.... well, i just had a shitty nights sleep it seems. i woke up a lot, which hasn't happened in a while. i had a wet dream (never happens really), (sorry if that is tmi), lots of dreams, and just woke up early, feeling a bit rough. had to go to the toilet, wasn't loose stool, formed ok. had a little bit of hand knuckle pain (i have this a bit and believe it coincides when i take the higher dosages of vit c). i just don't think the 2 grams of vit c helped me, at all. but on the plus side, my skin feels nice and soft, and my nails look nice and healthy. it was just the waking up all the time...

i feel something is definitely going on, somewhere in my body. i think i need to fully map out my blood sugars.

i don't want to take 2 grams again, tonight i'll just go back to taking a little bit of powder before bed.

anyway, over and out.
adam

RatherBeUnknown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#8  Post by RatherBeUnknown » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:27 am

Vitamin C by increasing nitric oxide (a neuromodulator, selective glutamate antagonist) synthesis, can produce some pretty awful mental effects if you are susceptible to them like I am. This doesn't happen for me if I take vitamin C alone but if I mix it with l-arginine or other things that are used in the production of nitric oxide or enhance its effects. I become irritable and get a severe ocd, as well as other effects.
Could this be what you are experiencing? Otherwise I'd also suggest that it's hypoglycemia, which I too am vulnerable to.

lolalola
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#9  Post by lolalola » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:51 am

for anyone who this may help.

i think (please note i said THINK), that the extra vitamin c dosage caused increase in my vitamin d 'workings' in my body. i have seen studies on vitamin c deficiency affected vitamin d status by garret smith.

i came to this conclusion because when i up my vitamin d dose, on the first night i usually have the same type of things occur as when i took the extra vitamin c (wet dream, waking up a lot).

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”