low sodium means bad news

Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderator: ofonorow

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:17 am
Contact:

low sodium means bad news

Post Number:#1  Post by zarfas » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:20 am

I have read several times on this site that low sodium is bad news

what is a good source of sodium as I dont get \.much any from a veggie/eggwhite diet!

pamojja
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:44 am
Contact:

Re: low sodium means bad news

Post Number:#2  Post by pamojja » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:47 am

zarfas wrote:I have read several times on this site that low sodium is bad news

what is a good source of sodium as I dont get \.much any from a veggie/eggwhite diet!


I tried following this advise by Nickolas Gonzalez, MD:

I have been recommending now 8-10 glasses a day, along with one half teaspoon of good quality sea salt, such as Himalayan or Celtic Sea Salt.


From this article in detail: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/water- ... ehydration

Other sources are for example sodium ascorbate and certain mineral waters.

That half teaspoon a day wasn't enough in my case. HTMA and serum sodium still far from optimal.

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:17 am
Contact:

Re: low sodium means bad news

Post Number:#3  Post by zarfas » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:04 am

pamojja wrote:
zarfas wrote:I have read several times on this site that low sodium is bad news

what is a good source of sodium as I dont get \.much any from a veggie/eggwhite diet!


I tried following this advise by Nickolas Gonzalez, MD:

I have been recommending now 8-10 glasses a day, along with one half teaspoon of good quality sea salt, such as Himalayan or Celtic Sea Salt.


From this article in detail: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/water- ... ehydration

Other sources are for example sodium ascorbate and certain mineral waters.

That half teaspoon a day wasn't enough in my case. HTMA and serum sodium still far from optimal.


thanks,
but doesnt "sea salt", which is just salt taken from the ocean, have the same pollution issues, (heavy metals, ) as fish?

pamojja
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:44 am
Contact:

Re: low sodium means bad news

Post Number:#4  Post by pamojja » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:29 am

zarfas wrote:thanks,
but doesnt "sea salt", which is just salt taken from the ocean, have the same pollution issues, (heavy metals, ) as fish?


Good catch. Though Himalayan pink salt I use comes from prehistoric deposits, therefore no modern-day pollutants. Also always worth to consider the amount ingested. A fish comes in a hundred times larger amount.

Despite eating fish 1-2 times a week and copious amounts of Ayurvedic herbals (allegedly all contaminated with heavy-metals), yearly testing of hair-tissue-mineral-analyisis since 9 years only showed Uranium rising above normal, and lowering again. Later found out that bicarbonates can chelate Uranium, which I started to supplement just before that Uranium rise in hair.

However, detox pathways work very differently in different individuals. Could just be a good detoxer. Therefore better to check one's heavy-metal levels anyway.

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:17 am
Contact:

Re: low sodium means bad news

Post Number:#5  Post by zarfas » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:23 pm

pamojja wrote:
However, detox pathways work very differently in different individuals. Could just be a good detoxer. Therefore better to check one's heavy-metal levels anyway.


My parents get crap from me for eating salmon 2x weekly
they also consume 2lbs or more of broccoli a day and they had a clean heavy metal test, so I suspect the massive amount of greens helped out

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:17 am
Contact:

Re: low sodium means bad news

Post Number:#6  Post by zarfas » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:34 pm

pamojja wrote:
Good catch. Though Himalayan pink salt I use comes from prehistoric deposits, therefore no modern-day pollutants. Also always worth to consider the amount ingested. A fish comes in a hundred times larger amount.
.


where can I buy this stuff? amazon?
link please?>

pamojja
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:44 am
Contact:

Re: low sodium means bad news

Post Number:#7  Post by pamojja » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:47 pm

zarfas wrote:
pamojja wrote:where can I buy this stuff? amazon?
link please?>


Typically I got it from health-food stores. But nowadays you'll even find it in supermarkets. Have to admit, have never ordered anything from amazon.

PS: there is also the contrarian view, that sodium isn't that necessary as potassium: http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/salud ... assium.htm

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:24 am
Contact:

Re: low sodium means bad news

Post Number:#8  Post by skwoodwiva » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:21 pm

pamojja wrote:
zarfas wrote:thanks,
but doesnt "sea salt", which is just salt taken from the ocean, have the same pollution issues, (heavy metals, ) as fish?


/snip/

Despite eating fish 1-2 times a week and copious amounts of Ayurvedic herbals (allegedly all contaminated with heavy-metals), yearly testing of hair-tissue-mineral-analyisis since 9 years only showed Uranium rising above normal, and lowering again. Later found out that bicarbonates can chelate Uranium, which I started to supplement just before that Uranium rise in hair.

However, detox pathways work very differently in different individuals. Could just be a good detoxer. Therefore better to check one's heavy-metal levels anyway.

Which Ayurvedic herbals do you take? In general & with heavy metals???
Are you going to reveal you blood type?

I take about 50% K(KCl) with my sea & pink salt.

pamojja
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:44 am
Contact:

Re: low sodium means bad news

Post Number:#9  Post by pamojja » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:00 pm

skwoodwiva wrote:Which Ayurvedic herbals do you take? In general & with heavy metals???
Are you going to reveal you blood type?

I take about 50% K(KCl) with my sea & pink salt.


A+
The major ones: Guggulu, Haldi, Amla, Trikatu, Guduchi, Ashwagandha, Arjuna, Brahmi, Tulsi, Gokshura, Shallaki, Vasaka, Mesashringi, Trikatu, Purnanava, Karela, Shatavari, Manjistha, Neem, Shilajit, ..

Ayurvedic remedies and all edible produce of India are generally contaminated. Also take about 2.2 g of elemental potassium (a mix from citrate, bicarbonate and cloride) per day.

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:24 am
Contact:

Re: low sodium means bad news

Post Number:#10  Post by skwoodwiva » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:46 pm

pamojja wrote:
skwoodwiva wrote:Which Ayurvedic herbals do you take? In general & with heavy metals???
Are you going to reveal you blood type?

I take about 50% K(KCl) with my sea & pink salt.


A+
The major ones: Guggulu, Haldi, Amla, Trikatu, Guduchi, Ashwagandha, Arjuna, Brahmi, Tulsi, Gokshura, Shallaki, Vasaka, Mesashringi, Trikatu, Purnanava, Karela, Shatavari, Manjistha, Neem, Shilajit, ..

Ayurvedic remedies and all edible produce of India are generally contaminated. Also take about 2.2 g of elemental potassium (a mix from citrate, bicarbonate and cloride) per day.


I tried going back to black coffee but I find it inflames my gums as revealed here for Os & ABs.
http://www.dadamo.com/typebase4/depictor5.pl?5

Do you drink coffee?

Care to list what all those herbs are for?

pamojja
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:44 am
Contact:

Re: low sodium means bad news

Post Number:#11  Post by pamojja » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:53 pm

skwoodwiva wrote:Do you drink coffee?

Care to list what all those herbs are for?


A cup of coffee in the morning, very rarely later in the day.

Scientific evaluations of most of those herbs can be found at examine.com. More traditional Ayurvedic monographs at toddcaldecott.com/herbs/ (need to sign up with the later, but it's for free). Traditionally these herbs are mostly used in synergy. On each own it's indications are legion, but then would also have to be taking in higher amounts in the range of 1-10 grams. For example the traditional indications for just one very often used, Amla (actually a very sour fruit):

Indications: Dyspepsia, gastritis, biliousness, hyperacidity, hepatitis, constipation, flatulent colic, colitis, hemorrhoids, convalescence from fever, cough, asthma, skin diseases, bleeding disorders, menorrhagia, anemia, diabetes, gout, osteoporosis, premature graying, alopecia, asthenia, mental disorders, vertigo, palpitations, cardiovascular disease, cancer.


Haldi for example is Turmeric. Trikatu an equal mix of Ginger, Black and Long Pepper. Tulsi a kind of Basil. Gokshura is Tribulus. Mesashringi is Gymnema. Karela is Bitter Gourd. Shallaki is Frankincense and Guggulu is Myrrh, to mention those better known.
-
I started them in 2013 after a whole year of a very bad chronic bronchitis. Which also earned me a diagnosis of COPD, symptom-free since.

francisunderwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:46 pm
Contact:

Re: low sodium means bad news

Post Number:#12  Post by francisunderwood » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:50 pm

zarfas wrote:I have read several times on this site that low sodium is bad news

what is a good source of sodium as I dont get \.much any from a veggie/eggwhite diet!


If I were you I would order this asap and hang it over your computer.

https://www.chicksaddlery.com/himalayan ... nging-lick

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:24 am
Contact:

Re: low sodium means bad news

Post Number:#13  Post by skwoodwiva » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:55 pm

pamojja wrote:
skwoodwiva wrote:Which Ayurvedic herbals do you take? In general & with heavy metals???
Are you going to reveal you blood type?

I take about 50% K(KCl) with my sea & pink salt.


A+
The major ones: Guggulu, Haldi, Amla, Trikatu, Guduchi, Ashwagandha, Arjuna, Brahmi, Tulsi, Gokshura, Shallaki, Vasaka, Mesashringi, Trikatu, Purnanava, Karela, Shatavari, Manjistha, Neem, Shilajit, ..

Ayurvedic remedies and all edible produce of India are generally contaminated. Also take about 2.2 g of elemental potassium (a mix from citrate, bicarbonate and cloride) per day.

I am going to add some of these. Neem leaf & stems I already do as a adjunct to my Weleda toothpaste.
Which 5 or so, could one say are most important? Well it is a lot!
About this contamination, can you share more about this? Would you risk Ebay?
Thanks

Duh...
I did not see your previous post w/ the links! !!

pamojja
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:44 am
Contact:

Re: low sodium means bad news

Post Number:#14  Post by pamojja » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:43 am

skwoodwiva wrote:
pamojja wrote:The major ones: Guggulu, Haldi, Amla, Trikatu, Guduchi, Ashwagandha, Arjuna, Brahmi, Tulsi, Gokshura, Shallaki, Vasaka, Mesashringi, Trikatu, Purnanava, Karela, Shatavari, Manjistha, Neem, Shilajit, ..

Ayurvedic remedies and all edible produce of India are generally contaminated.


I am going to add some of these. Neem leaf & stems I already do as a adjunct to my Weleda toothpaste.
Which 5 or so, could one say are most important? Well it is a lot!
About this contamination, can you share more about this? Would you risk Ebay?
Thanks

Duh...
I did not see your previous post w/ the links! !!


Actually listed them in descending amounts of extracts I personally used through the years. So you could try just the first 5, and later once you run out, maybe try others. However, this way you would miss at first Arjuna, which is the no. 1 herb recommended for CVD in Ayurveda. Tumerik, Boswellia and Garlic (which I forgot to mention above) probably have the most western scientific evidence for their use. Amla could also be taken in a mixture as Triphala (equal parts of Amla, Haritaki and Bibitaki), Guduchi I used at relatively high amounts against hay-fever. Tulsi and Vasaka against COPD. Gokshura and Purnanava for weak kidneys. Mesashringi and Karella against high blood-glucose. Trikatu and Triphala for improving digestion. Shatavari is also specifically used for female issues. But as already said, they all have multiple and overlapping indications..

Traditionally the most important herbs for anyone is evaluated from a case to case basis by an Ayurvedic practitioner by diagnosing one's propensities.

I did risk the contamination, by also having yearly hair-tissue-mineral analysis, which showed no toxicities. However, detox abilities are highly individual. And therefore can't recommend anything possibly contaminated, as Indian herbs are, without taking precautions. Like monitoring toxicity and using as much as possible organically produced herbs.

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:24 am
Contact:

Re: low sodium means bad news

Post Number:#15  Post by skwoodwiva » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:22 am

pamojja wrote:
skwoodwiva wrote:
pamojja wrote:The major ones: Guggulu, Haldi, Amla, Trikatu, Guduchi, Ashwagandha, Arjuna, Brahmi, Tulsi, Gokshura, Shallaki, Vasaka, Mesashringi, Trikatu, Purnanava, Karela, Shatavari, Manjistha, Neem, Shilajit, ..

Ayurvedic remedies and all edible produce of India are generally contaminated.


I am going to add some of these. Neem leaf & stems I already do as a adjunct to my Weleda toothpaste.
Which 5 or so, could one say are most important? Well it is a lot!
About this contamination, can you share more about this? Would you risk Ebay?
Thanks

Duh...
I did not see your previous post w/ the links! !!


Actually listed them in descending amounts of extracts I personally used through the years. So you could try just the first 5, and later once you run out, maybe try others. However, this way you would miss at first Arjuna, which is the no. 1 herb recommended for CVD in Ayurveda. Tumerik, Boswellia and Garlic (which I forgot to mention above) probably have the most western scientific evidence for their use. Amla could also be taken in a mixture as Triphala (equal parts of Amla, Haritaki and Bibitaki), Guduchi I used at relatively high amounts against hay-fever. Tulsi and Vasaka against COPD. Gokshura and Purnanava for weak kidneys. Mesashringi and Karella against high blood-glucose. Trikatu and Triphala for improving digestion. Shatavari is also specifically used for female issues. But as already said, they all have multiple and overlapping indications..

Traditionally the most important herbs for anyone is evaluated from a case to case basis by an Ayurvedic practitioner by diagnosing one's propensities.

I did risk the contamination, by also having yearly hair-tissue-mineral analysis, which showed no toxicities. However, detox abilities are highly individual. And therefore can't recommend anything possibly contaminated, as Indian herbs are, without taking precautions. Like monitoring toxicity and using as much as possible organically produced herbs.


Thank you!

I am also adding virgin cod liver oil or fermented. Your K source is earmarked too.


Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests