vitamin c crystal size

Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderator: ofonorow

davea0511
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vitamin c crystal size

Post Number:#1  Post by davea0511 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:57 pm

Anyone know of a vitamin C manufacturer that produces "powder" using large crystal sizes? It seems they're all "fine powder", and a lot finer than it used to be. This is all well and fine if you want it to dissolve quickly, but the surface area is much higher. In fact I'm quite sure for the super-fine stuff (which is a lot of what I see) the surface area must be 100 times higher than the coarser crystal sizes. Greater surface area = greater oxidation = shorter shelf-life and less-efficacy.

And for those of you who think, "meh ... it's white so it's not oxidized", you're wrong. As OxC pointed out in another thread (along with the peer-reviewed citation), oxidized vitamin C is colorless. Thanks OxC. When you get color, that yellow, that's degradation beyond oxidized vitamin C. That's when vitamin C has already oxidized and has then further broken down into non-vitamin C products.

So I want to get the largest crystal sizes possible, so if anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears. Thanks!
The ascorbist-greeting:
"Score big, eh eh?", "Is yea.", "Excelente'."

(igpay-atinlay of: "Ascorbic?","Yes.","Excellent.")
Short-form: "Score?", "Score." [knuckle bump]

davea0511
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: vitamin c crystal size

Post Number:#2  Post by davea0511 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:21 pm

Well, I guess I'll just start with my observations...

Note that these are subjective terms (small, medium, large particle sizes). Note when I discuss stirring, I'm using a spoon. In each of the following definitions I am stirring the solutio. If using a frother they dissolve about 2-3 times faster.

Color Definitions (from lightest to darkest): This is hard to do, so if you can think of better descriptions then please advise.
  • Bright White: The color of table salt
  • Fresh Cream: The color of fresh 100% cream from milk. Also the color of bleached flour.
  • Banana Flesh: The color of a freshly peeled banana flesh (standard banana in American grocery store ... sorry, too many to pick from). Also the color of sesame seeds.
  • Egg nog: Egg nog color

Particle Size Definitions
  • Fine: Powdery ... when a cup of it is dropped from a height of about 1 foot there is a large amount of dust that stays in the air, and even upon close up view it is not obvious that the individual particles are crystals (of course they are crystals ... but they're fine enough that they don't visibly sparkle at all). Fines dissolve almost immediately even with cool water from the faucet.
  • Small: Small enough that it's not immediately apparent at a quick 1x glance that they are crystaline in nature (of course they are ... it's vitamin c after all, but if you didn't know what that it was vitamin C it doesn't tend to sparkle enough to make that apparent). On closer inspection (still unaided) they do appear as minuscule crystals, but they are not excessively powdery (no dust), unlike Fine particles. Small particles dissolve after stirring in hot water for just 10 seconds or so, about 20 seconds in cool water.
  • Medium: Large enough that at a quick 1x glance it is obviously crystaline, as it sparkles when you adjust your viewing angle with a bright point light source. Roughly the size of table salt crystals. Takes up to 30 seconds to dissolve in hot water, and a minute or more to dissolve in cold water.
  • Large: About 2x the size of medium (2x the crystal size of table salt).

Brands / Products

Now Foods (this was 1 year ago, and looking through the Amazon reviews batch to batch consistency is not great):
- ascorbic acid (8oz):
- - Size: small to medium size powder particles. Not dusty at all.
- - Color: Bright white.
- sodium ascorbate (8oz):
- - Size: small size particles.
- - Color: Fresh Cream to Bright White.

Duda brand (super cheap on amazon.com):
- ascorbic acid (5lb):
- - Size: Fine, very dusty.
- - Color: Fresh Cream
- sodium ascorbate (5lb)
- - Color: Banana Flesh

I've just ordered some more 8 oz bottles from Now Foods and NutraBiotic, which I'll test when they get here.
The ascorbist-greeting:
"Score big, eh eh?", "Is yea.", "Excelente'."

(igpay-atinlay of: "Ascorbic?","Yes.","Excellent.")
Short-form: "Score?", "Score." [knuckle bump]

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#3  Post by skwoodwiva » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:22 pm

davea0511 wrote:Well, I guess I'll just start with my observations...

Note that these are subjective terms (small, medium, large particle sizes). Note when I discuss stirring, I'm using a spoon. In each of the following definitions I am stirring the solutio. If using a frother they dissolve about 2-3 times faster.

Color Definitions (from lightest to darkest): This is hard to do, so if you can think of better descriptions then please advise.
  • Bright White: The color of table salt
  • Fresh Cream: The color of fresh 100% cream from milk. Also the color of bleached flour.
  • Banana Flesh: The color of a freshly peeled banana flesh (standard banana in American grocery store ... sorry, too many to pick from). Also the color of sesame seeds.
  • Egg nog: Egg nog color

Particle Size Definitions
  • Fine: Powdery ... when a cup of it is dropped from a height of about 1 foot there is a large amount of dust that stays in the air, and even upon close up view it is not obvious that the individual particles are crystals (of course they are crystals ... but they're fine enough that they don't visibly sparkle at all). Fines dissolve almost immediately even with cool water from the faucet.
  • Small: Small enough that it's not immediately apparent at a quick 1x glance that they are crystaline in nature (of course they are ... it's vitamin c after all, but if you didn't know what that it was vitamin C it doesn't tend to sparkle enough to make that apparent). On closer inspection (still unaided) they do appear as minuscule crystals, but they are not excessively powdery (no dust), unlike Fine particles. Small particles dissolve after stirring in hot water for just 10 seconds or so, about 20 seconds in cool water.
  • Medium: Large enough that at a quick 1x glance it is obviously crystaline, as it sparkles when you adjust your viewing angle with a bright point light source. Roughly the size of table salt crystals. Takes up to 30 seconds to dissolve in hot water, and a minute or more to dissolve in cold water.
  • Large: About 2x the size of medium (2x the crystal size of table salt).

Brands / Products

Now Foods (this was 1 year ago, and looking through the Amazon reviews batch to batch consistency is not great):
- ascorbic acid (8oz):
- - Size: small to medium size powder particles. Not dusty at all.
- - Color: Bright white.
- sodium ascorbate (8oz):
- - Size: small size particles.
- - Color: Fresh Cream to Bright White.

Duda brand (super cheap on amazon.com):
- ascorbic acid (5lb):
- - Color: Fresh Cream
- sodium ascorbate (5lb)
- - Color: Banana Flesh

I've just ordered some more 8 oz bottles from Now Foods and NutraBiotic, which I'll test when they get here.

How does Duda compare to Purebulk?
Pure bulk is just like sugar in appearance.

Just a note, no conclusions yet, but I have gone from 25 gr to 56 gr a day, in steps and I do not hit the BTs yet!

I did previous @ about 45 gr. Or less.
But I am much more careful now to dose away from food. Hmm I wonder if PB has gone down in potency?
The $ went up all over but PB did not seem to change much....
It is cheaper especially if you have Prime.

Thank for posting, I did not know about Duda.

Joanna45
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#4  Post by Joanna45 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:47 am

I now reach bowel tolerance at 10 gr. When I first started with tower labs Heart Tech I was up to 18gr before tolerances..
I don’T know if any others here have the same problem that I do, but my husband does not support me in taking vitamin C in large doses..he is 78 and is quite healthy and active as I am also ..he is not on any meds and has normal blood pressure..I’m thinking that maybe some of us still have the ability to produce some vitamin C on their own..I sure don’t produce any..and I have no desire to have narrowed arteries again no matter what my husband says.

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”