Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

Opti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does the gas eventually go away?

Post Number:#1  Post by Opti » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:36 pm

Hi all,

So I have read that eventually the gas from taking mega doses of vitamin c go away, but is this really true?? Did your gas disappear with long term use?

Joanna45
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Re: Does the gas eventually go away?

Post Number:#2  Post by Joanna45 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:30 pm

Mine went away but it wasn’t that annoying..but now I do not have any.

pamojja
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#3  Post by pamojja » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:21 am

Opti wrote:So I have read that eventually the gas from taking mega doses of vitamin c go away, but is this really true?? Did your gas disappear with long term use?

I also took many herbals against flatulence, and with the years it did become less and more benign. Except if titrating to bowel tolerance again. However, I'm pretty sure it never will go away, since some gas is normal even when not taking any vitamin C:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatulence
Normal flatus volume range is around 476 to 1,491 ml per 24 hours.[5][14]

So there are other individual factors which already contribute to more or less gas without vitamin C.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:08 am

Unfortunately, we humans evolved from a long history of beings who could make their own vitamin C in their bodies, and did not have to eat it. Just as most living species today do - most make their own vitamin C.

It is not surprising that there are difficulties for many people trying to "eat" so much vitamin C. For me, 18 to 20 grams has worked a miracle, but as I have reported before, my own father could barely tolerate 200 mg daily.

Garry Gordon, apparently the late Garry Gordon, father of Chelation Therapy, developed BioEnergy C because he himself could not tolerate the oral amounts of vitamin C he knew promoted good health. He claimed he could take up to 4 times as much of his product, (versus ordinary C powder), without stomach upset. We know some of the ingredients, but the formula has been changed, and is now produced by who knows who? We'd like to mimic the product, come up with a formula that improves absorption and minimizes gas and stomach upset. Gordon on a youtube video claims it took 10 years to develop BioEnergy C. And he mentioned some sugars of Aloe as important ingredients (not found on any label), which makes sense. Before the "kiwi" research, aloe vera was the only substance that has been scientifically shown to improve the bioavailbility of vitamin C (Vinson).

Sherry Lewin, in her 1976 book, VITAMIN C: ITS BIOLOGY AND MEDICAL POTENTIAL, suggested charcoal supplements for people with excessive flatulence.
Owen R. Fonorow, Follow #OWENRFONOROW at twitter

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#5  Post by skwoodwiva » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:49 pm

ofonorow wrote:Unfortunately, we humans evolved from a long history of beings who could make their own vitamin C in their bodies, and did not have to eat it. Just as most living species today do - most make their own vitamin C.

It is not surprising that there are difficulties for many people trying to "eat" so much vitamin C. For me, 18 to 20 grams has worked a miracle, but as I have reported before, my own father could barely tolerate 200 mg daily.

Garry Gordon, apparently the late Garry Gordon, father of Chelation Therapy, developed BioEnergy C because he himself could not tolerate the oral amounts of vitamin C he knew promoted good health. He claimed he could take up to 4 times as much of his product, (versus ordinary C powder), without stomach upset. We know some of the ingredients, but the formula has been changed, and is now produced by who knows who? We'd like to mimic the product, come up with a formula that improves absorption and minimizes gas and stomach upset. Gordon on a youtube video claims it took 10 years to develop BioEnergy C. And he mentioned some sugars of Aloe as important ingredients (not found on any label), which makes sense. Before the "kiwi" research, aloe vera was the only substance that has been scientifically shown to improve the bioavailbility of vitamin C (Vinson).

Sherry Lewin, in her 1976 book, VITAMIN C: ITS BIOLOGY AND MEDICAL POTENTIAL, suggested charcoal supplements for people with excessive flatulence.

Thanks for the hint.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16323295

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”