Constipation with Sodium Ascorbate??

Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

Thijs

Constipation with Sodium Ascorbate??

Post Number:#1  Post by Thijs » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:18 am

Since two weeks i have been taking Sodium Ascorbate and have flushed two times with the SA. But in these two weeks i only had three bowel movements because of constipation. I need between 50 and 60 grams of C to flush and have used between 50 and 75% of that amount between flushes. I use plenty of magnesium (400-600 mg of bisglycinate) and a selenomethionine + zink.I also use iodine and Borin. Does the sodium dehydrate you? I drink plenty of water. For every gram of C about 100 ml minimum.

Is this unheard off? i thought C was supposed to ease constipation. Something i don't deal with very often. actually the opposite.

pamojja
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: Constipation with Sodium Ascorbate??

Post Number:#2  Post by pamojja » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Can't help with sodium ascorbate, where I live its 4 times the price and certainly not as effective as ascorbic acid. And I do know from personal and others experience that at certain individual dose of pure ascorbic acid everyone runs to the toilet. Obviously that isn't the case with sodium asorbate.

Constipation actually was the only reason I got my father to take somewhat mega-dose ascorbic acid. Because a persistent constipation wasn't at all eased with pharmaceutical remedies, he finally and in his desperation got adventurous enough to try 1 teaspoon with a magnesium-rich Mineral-water (Rogaska Donat Mg). And continued to take that every second day since he still thinks having bowel-movement every day a bit too extreme.. :roll: Works for him like a charm, and has bowel-movements every second day.

Thijs

Post Number:#3  Post by Thijs » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:57 am

Before SA I would have a daily bowel movement like clock work. Funny thing is that it does work for me with the flush just not with the 75% rule spread out over the day. Thanks for feedback. Will start with normal ascorbate and see how that goes.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:09 am

Interesting report and illustrates Roger J. Williams observation that we are all different. The C Calibration indicates that your metabolism requires a lot of vitamin C, and we think we know from our bio-availability observations with glucose meters, that ascorbic acid can by-pass the gut, because AA enters the blood stream rapidly through the stomach wall. (Where as sodium ascorbate does seem to travel down the intestinal tract before it is absorbed into the blood stream). You may have better luck with ascorbic acid, and if you decide to redo the flush with ascorbic acid, let us know what happens. (I read where Dr. Thomas Levy does a flush weekly.)
Owen R. Fonorow, Follow #OWENRFONOROW at twitter

Thijs

Post Number:#5  Post by Thijs » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:09 pm

If regular c bypasses the GI tract that would probably deal with the constipation. I am planning to continue flushing and calibrating. I will switch to regular ascorbic tomorrow and will do another flush saturday morning and post an update on this end of week.

johnyascorbate
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#6  Post by johnyascorbate » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:51 am

You could very well be deficient in magnesium. Having low MG levels will undoubtedly affect bowel function. Get your magnesium RBC level checked, if you can.

MichaelPD346

Post Number:#7  Post by MichaelPD346 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:33 am

Is Sodium Ascorbate essentially the same as Ascorbic Acid mixed with Bicarbonate of Soda? The good thing about adding the 2 powders separately is that I can change the amount of bicarbonate of soda and experiment how much is needed to buffer the AA. Half the amount the bicarb to AA seems the perfect concoction; it's refreshing and neither too tart or bland. I've never had constipation with this mix - and I wonder what the mix proportions are in the ready-made mixes of sodium ascorbate?

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”