Sodium Ascorbate V AA Atheroslerosis

Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

musashie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sodium Ascorbate V AA Atheroslerosis

Post Number:#1  Post by musashie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:41 am

Dr Pauling CVD therapy states that AA should be used , however Sodium Ascorbate can be used in part. He gives 6-18g of AA as dose but also states 6-18g of SA can also be used. That is confusing as that is not 'in part' it is the full dose. Is there a clinical issue re outcome from using sodium ascorbate as opposed to AA for athersclerosis?

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: Sodium Ascorbate V AA Atheroslerosis

Post Number:#2  Post by zarfas » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:29 am

musashie wrote:Dr Pauling CVD therapy states that AA should be used , however Sodium Ascorbate can be used in part. He gives 6-18g of AA as dose but also states 6-18g of SA can also be used. That is confusing as that is not 'in part' it is the full dose. Is there a clinical issue re outcome from using sodium ascorbate as opposed to AA for athersclerosis?

sodium ascorbate is more stomach friendly than ascorbic acid.

dont forget the other parts of Pauling therapy.
-lysine/proline

and things that should be part of it:
-vit K2
-getting to a bmi of 25 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22530540
I give that survey because obesitry is going to getcha and I have a hard time thinking a 400lb man can have clear arteries. size has to increase the amount of PT requirements, and being fat messes up hormones
-coq10
--magnesium

musashie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by musashie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:13 am

Thank you for your reply. I understand the benfits of buffered C but my question was is there a reason that anyone knows why Dr Pauling suggests the following -

Linus Pauling Recommendations
1. Take 6,000 to 18,000 mg of vitamin C as ascorbic
acid daily (some of the vitamin may be taken as sodium
ascorbate) up to bowel tolerance (6 to 18 g).

Is there a reason that 'some' may be taken as SA. Why not all?
But then it is stated - (some of the vitamin may be taken as sodium
ascorbate) up to bowel tolerance (6 to 18 g)..............Which seems to contradict that only some may be taken as SA.

I am in the process of starting someone on the Vit C Pprotocol for atherosclerosis. They also have high blood pressure.
Is the Sodium Ascorbate an issue in cases of high blood pressure......

This is the only info I could find re this

"One disadvantage of sodium ascorbate is its sodium content. Upon ingestion, the compound into broken into two components: the ascorbate that acts as functional vitamin C, and a sodium ion. As a result, consuming sodium ascorbate counts toward your sodium intake for the day, and excess consumption of both sodium ascorbate and sodium-containing processed foods may lead to high blood pressure over time, according to the Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University. If you already suffer from high blood pressure, limit your intake of sodium ascorbate, or consider taking a different type of vitamin C supplement".

musashie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#4  Post by musashie » Thu May 24, 2018 10:41 am

Fairly important information, my query... Has anyone any advice or references on my question???

jimmylesante
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#5  Post by jimmylesante » Thu May 24, 2018 11:44 am

I think the mount is negligible and of course sodium only affects about 25% of people .

Ideally i would stick to AA and in part :) use magnesium ascorbate which would help reduce the blood pressure(magnesium)

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#6  Post by ofonorow » Fri May 25, 2018 7:10 am

musashie wrote:Fairly important information, my query... Has anyone any advice or references on my question???

I have a memory of answering the same question in another topic. There will soon be a reference why ascorbic acid is preferred in the June issue of the Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine. ( https://www.isom.ca/jom/) Ascorbic acid enters the blood stream at minute 3, and high blood levels persist through minute 15, achieving unexpected blood concentrations that can exceed even IV/C. From the minute-by-minute measurements, our experiments showed that sodium ascorbate did not have the same rapid-entry to the blood stream effect, and seemed to travel down the GI-tract and be slowly released into the blood stream.

There have been no published studies of the Pauling/Rath Unified Theory of CVD or Pauling's protocol. Our experience, at least since 1996, is almost exclusively with products that contain ascorbic acid. Miracle after miracle (except by now, these reports no longer seems miraculous, the positive results are expected.)

Almost all of this correspondence is after taking vitamin C as ascorbic acid: https://vitaminccures.com/blog/index.php/heart-disease-testimonials/

I remember one report of ADDING True-liposomal vitamin C, to the standard ascorbic acid regimen, with even better results reported. However, I have little experience (thus knowledge) that either sodium ascorbate alone, or True-Liposomal by itself, can substitute for ascorbic acid w/r to chronic scurvy and reversing the plaques of cardiovascular disease that otherwise appear in the arteries.

Yes, Pauling himself used bicarb to turn some of his 9000 mg of ascorbic acid into sodium ascorbate, and he lived to 94 years of age :-)

The risk of vitamin C entering the Gi-tract, in theory, is that the vitamin is volatile and easily breaks down. According to biochemist Sherry Lewin (1976) the breakdown of vitamin C in the gut is greater when carbohydrates are eaten at the same time. However, if proteins (amino acids) are eaten with vitamin C, the proteins can "chelate" with the vitamin, enhancing stability and absorption into the blood stream. This may be the reason that the combination of vitamin C and the amino acid lysine are so effective together.

We do recommend for people with GERD (pain in the esophagus when swallowing), that they buffer the ascorbic acid, either with sodium ascorbate or bicarb (baking powder or soda). And for those who have very low bowel tolerances, we recommend adding a True-Liposomal vitamin C.

But the general recommendation for CVD is to rely mostly on ascorbic acid - based on now more than twenty years of experience.

A few days ago we helped a woman who claims that taking any amount of Cardio-C (ascorbic acid) caused extreme pain. We had her put the PT formula in a water bottle, added about a half a scoop of baking powder, and instructed her to sip slowly throughout the day. Yesterday, she reported no problems taking the formula this way - slowly and with some baking powder.
Owen R. Fonorow, Follow #OWENRFONOROW at twitter

musashie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#7  Post by musashie » Mon May 28, 2018 7:20 am

Thank fro the reply it was enlightening... Unfortunately my mam who is undertaking the protocol had part of her bowel removed and cannot tolerate either AA or lyposomal to any real degree. She has tried numerous times only to end the same each time. SA is the only type she can moderately tolerate.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#8  Post by ofonorow » Wed May 30, 2018 3:01 pm

Disconnect that if her stomach acid is high (correct as nature intended) then AA should enter the blood stream through the stomach wall - and not go down the bowel. IV/C?
Owen R. Fonorow, Follow #OWENRFONOROW at twitter

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”