Poll: Should distracting members be suspended or deleted?

Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

Should Forum Members that Distract from the Discussions be Moderated or Deleted?

I like things the way they are
14%
The forum should be Moderated
71%
Forum Members that Always Distract from the central discussion should be Deleted and/or their Posts Removed
14%
Forum Member that Always Distract from the central discussion should be Suspended and their Posts Preserved.
No votes
No opinion
No votes

Total votes: 7

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Poll: Should distracting members be suspended or deleted?

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Mon May 14, 2018 5:44 am

This forum, ideally, does no censorship and has been a beacon of free speech. I have already reluctantly deleted "blade" (zarfas's previous login) once before, for the same basic reasons. Whether deliberate or not, his posts are always distracting to the central discussion.
Owen R. Fonorow, Follow #OWENRFONOROW at twitter

jimmylesante
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: Poll: Should distracting members be suspended or deleted?

Post Number:#2  Post by jimmylesante » Mon May 14, 2018 6:11 am

Owen i think my view is very clear :shock:

I just believe that if newbies come on to this site and see the drivel from Z. and the sabotaging of their and others threads, they will simply look elsewhere which means less "footfall" for you.
Besides you, John, eDOC,Pamojja etc have oodles of knowledge to share.
For me being a longer member than a newbie it is a waste of my time and the endless inane asinine questions Z asks and regurgitates the same answers to his own questions is.....bizarre!

Most of the posts should be deleted but you are the boss to decide...that's why you get the big bucks.

pamojja
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#3  Post by pamojja » Mon May 14, 2018 6:47 am

If my vote counts, I would say a forum should be moderated. At the same time as maintaining freedom of speech, a moderator should give notice that common fallacies of discussions - like ad-hominem or straw-man arguments - are not allowed due to adding no value, but distracting only, along with offending.

Only most obvious personal attacks, belittling or making fun of other member's ill-fortune and off-topic discussions in posts should be edited or deleted. If a members continues despite his post being edited/deleted - and having received notifications from the moderator for the reason of deletion or editing of his/her posts - should a member's account be suspended for some time (depending on the severity and insistence of offenses).

After some time being allowed to post and offending again the same procedure: Offending text edited/deleted, it's poster notified of the offense, on repeat suspended. Only with most severe offenders after having been suspended lets say 3 times I would go to such drastic measures, as the complete deletion of a member's account.

Of course, to enact such transparent procedures for misconduct it also needs a sticky forum page with all the rules to follow, along with giving their reason for being in place. As one example which in my opinion really goes too far in limiting free speech (about religion and politics) but otherwise seems to get the points across, see https://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?wiki/forum-rules/

The problem of deleting all forum post is, that nobody posts offensive stuff only, and some good posts helping a discussion should in every case be retained. Offensive posts immediately edited or deleted as soon as possible, the member notified by a moderator. Then when it would come to very rare case of a member being deleted due his or her unwillingness to adapt, all offending stuff wouldn't already be there, and the useful posts can be kept.

On a large forum that is a lot of work and would need a number of moderators. But here due to small size/few frequent posters at the moment it would be a 1-man-job for the time being.

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#4  Post by exitium » Mon May 14, 2018 9:47 am

The forum does have a friend/foe functionality which I have made use of. It simply hides posts by your self defined "foes". I find that helps immensely. When people stop engaging people they have a tendency to get bored and go away.

Frodo
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#5  Post by Frodo » Mon May 14, 2018 10:45 am

Good to know. Thanks! I‘m still new in the forum.
So far, however, I haven‘t paid any attention to it, because I met such „actors“ in other forums, too. I don‘t think you can prevent something like that. But I won‘t be answering such strange (Z-) questions any longer.

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#6  Post by zarfas » Mon May 14, 2018 1:48 pm

ofonorow wrote:This forum, ideally, does no censorship and has been a beacon of free speech. I have already reluctantly deleted "blade" (zarfas's previous login) once before, for the same basic reasons. Whether deliberate or not, his posts are always distracting to the central discussion.

the only reason I had to get a new name was because I couldnt get a response from you about resetting the password, so I made a new name and have never hid the fact i did so, which was like 2 years ago, so why it's brought up all the time, Ihave no understanding

in the other thread where you mentioned this
Ie
zarfas wrote:
ofonorow wrote:zarfas, et. al., you realize that I have this monitor, and we had been intensely discussing using it to measure vitamin C levels after taking various forms of vitamin C? There are 5 pages of discussion of the Abbott Libre here:
http://www.vitaminc.foundation/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13681

I love you sir, but Zarfas it does seem like you do post randomly without a lot of thought, which distracts from important discussions. Do me a favor and resist the impulse to post. Wait 24 hours, and if your input still seems pertinent - go right ahead.

Im very confused
I made this thread about finding a way to measure glucose without a fingerpick for someone with TTD who currently pricks his finger, not often enough

so what "important discussion" am I intruding on in my thread?

and, this thread is dead, I havent posted in 10days, because I got the answwer I was seeking...
:? :? :? :? :? :?

I will comply, but I was seeking out what the heck you are talking about?
You said i was "distracting" in a thread I made , about a topic/answer I was looking for.
I didnt see 1 how I was being distracting
2 how i couold be distracting in my own thread

I make threads, whether they be deep thoughts or posts off the top of my head, people do not need to respond to them.
I fail to see my threads being "distractions" ie,
IF
IF you made a thread about AA being used pre/post surgery and I started posting in a thread pictures of BOOOBIES, yeah, I can see that,
but I dont do that
so if you would give me an example of what "distractions" Ive made in someones thread, I can learn from tha

otherwise,...huh?

Ok, so I need a break and you need a break, I will log off and not be back for a week......21 or so.... :mrgreen:

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”