Humans producing vitamin c

Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

johnyascorbate
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Humans producing vitamin c

Post Number:#1  Post by johnyascorbate » Wed May 30, 2018 7:11 am

Will we again one day have the ability to produce vitamin c? If so, how do you think that will happen?

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: Humans producing vitamin c

Post Number:#2  Post by zarfas » Wed May 30, 2018 7:38 am

johnyascorbate wrote:Will we again one day have the ability to produce vitamin c? If so, how do you think that will happen?

I think some people have that ability?
I know one guy who easts junk food as a diet(he's 26) and smokes 1-2 packs a day and yet he has perfect(albiet stained) teeth
no dental caries

I dont understand it
even weston price, DDS says dental hygiene is less important than proper nutrition(vitamin C)

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-top ... oothbrush/
One of the many risk factors for heart disease is poor dental health. The root cause for both diseases is probably the same–nutritional deficiencies, including deficiency of vitamin C. In this article, Dr. Emmanuel Cheraskin presents evidence that serum vitamin C levels are just as important as brushing for the prevention of tooth decay. His research also explains why primitive peoples on nutrient-dense diets have no tooth decay, in spite of the fact that they do not brush their teeth.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Wed May 30, 2018 2:27 pm

johnyascorbate wrote:Will we again one day have the ability to produce vitamin c? If so, how do you think that will happen?

Van Carmen (who we haven't heard from in a while) was convinced that cinnamon could imitate the missing enzyme that our liver is unable to make, or actually contained the enzyme.

Be nice to know if Van was correct.

The problem with simply activating the gene by correcting the base pair through genetic engineering is that the GULO gene is old, and so doesn't have the benefit of recent evolution. But if available - for offspring I suppose - I would opt for it.

And yes, Levy reports that there may be certain small societies that can make their own vitamin C.
Owen R. Fonorow, Follow #OWENRFONOROW at twitter

johnyascorbate
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#4  Post by johnyascorbate » Thu May 31, 2018 7:22 am

ofonorow wrote:

Van Carmen (who we haven't heard from in a while) was convinced that cinnamon could imitate the missing enzyme that our liver is unable to make, or actually contained the enzyme.

The problem with simply activating the gene by correcting the base pair through genetic engineering is that the GULO gene is old, and so doesn't have the benefit of recent evolution. But if available - for offspring I suppose - I would opt for it.

And yes, Levy reports that there may be certain small societies that can make their own vitamin C.

I fell out of my chair reading cinnamon could be the missing link. Did Van have anything to back that up? Would be nice if he was correct. I believe Dr. Levy is right, that some people walking among us make their own C. I'm hopeful one day through science we can make this a reality.

pamojja
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#5  Post by pamojja » Thu May 31, 2018 7:47 am

ofonorow wrote:Van Carmen (who we haven't heard from in a while) was convinced that cinnamon could imitate the missing enzyme that our liver is unable to make, or actually contained the enzyme.

I remember him - Van Carman - talking about olive leaf extract instead of cinnamon. However, most of his posts are gone and couldn't find even one mention anymore.

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#6  Post by zarfas » Thu May 31, 2018 10:06 am

johnyascorbate wrote: that some people walking among us make their own C. I'm hopeful one day through science we can make this a reality.

do we have anything to show longer lifespan directly linked to vit C intake?
hopefully, I can share this with friends/family and a few smokers I know

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by ofonorow » Thu May 31, 2018 2:00 pm

This from the top ten https://vitaminc.foundation/topten.php
When blood levels are measured, the study results are consistent:

Older Brits with Highest Blood Levels of Vitamins C have Lowest Mortality Rates
A 2003 study from the UK measured Vitamin C blood levels:

RESULTS: Strong inverse relationship for blood ascorbate (vitamin C) concentrations with all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality, Those in the lowest fifth (< 17 micromol/L) had the highest mortality, whereas those in the highest fifth (> 66 micromol/L) had a mortality risk nearly half that (hazard ratio = 0.54; 95% CI: 0.34, 0.84). In fully adjusted models, there was no evidence for an influence of alpha-tocopherol (vitamin-E), beta-carotene, or retinol (vitamin-A) on total mortality.

Antioxidant Vitamins and Mortality in Older Persons
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14594788?dopt=Abstract

Americans with Highest Blood Levels of Vitamins C and E have Lowest Mortality Rates

Another recent study at Columbia University measured vitamin C blood levels and was reported by Bill Sardi: The group with the highest blood concentration of vitamin C were 45% less likely to die of any cause ; vitamin E 29% lower death risk compared to adults with the lowest blood concentration. The highest blood concentration of vitamin C also resulted in a relative 60% reduced risk for cancer-related deaths. http://knowledgeofhealth.com/americans-highest-blood-levels-vitamins-c-and-e-have-lowest-mortality-rate/

These blood measurement studies (as opposed to food questionnaire-based studies) would have made Linus Pauling happy. Pauling wrote that even though he couldn't prove it, he had become convinced that supplementing high doses of vitamin C, along with other antioxidants, might extend the healthy life span 20 to 30 years." (ref: How To Live Longer and Feel Better, 1986)

Plasma vitamin C concentrations predict 42% lower risk of incident stroke over 10 y in 20,649 participants
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18175738

Then there is the Enstrom review of public health data that Pauling discusses on the Heart Video, showing a significant reduction in mortality when people take vitamin C supplements.

Vitamin supplement use and mortality. 1. Study that found no relationship is challenged.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... 46/?page=2

High levels in the blood of one other vitamin has been shown to reduce mortality: Vitamin K

High Vitamin K Blood Levels Reduce All Cause Mortality.
http://www.lef.org/magazine/2014/9/The-Surprising-Longevity-Benefits-of-Vitamin-K/Page-01
Owen R. Fonorow, Follow #OWENRFONOROW at twitter

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#8  Post by zarfas » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:19 am

Thanks, Owen,
This reaffirms what Dr T levey says about
1 vit C
2 Magnessium
3 vit k2
4 vit D

in reducing all cause mortality

but how come some studies show that vit C has no role in preventing anything?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5000725/

oh, it might be because

1 they are wrong about what vit C does
-The hypothesis that vitamin C may play a role in CVD prevention also draws support from the vitamin’s antioxidant capabilities
(vit c makes collagen)

2 they use practically no vit C at all
-Many of the clinical trials testing hypotheses related to vitamin C and CVD have used supplemental vitamin C in doses of 500–1000 mg per day

I take more vit C first thing upon waking up, then these "studies" did in a whle day

confused1
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#9  Post by confused1 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:46 am

ofonorow wrote:

I looked up Van in the members section and it shows he made 600 posts but only 35 are available. Any way to access the others, Owen?

confused1
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#10  Post by confused1 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:18 am

Just thinking out loud, but could this be one of the mechanisms by which cinnamon lowers blood sugar, i.e., converting some fraction of glucose to AA?

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#11  Post by zarfas » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:43 am

confused1 wrote:Just thinking out loud, but could this be one of the mechanisms by which cinnamon lowers blood sugar, i.e., converting some fraction of glucose to AA?

maybe?
but
Amy Stockert, associate professor of biochemistry at Ohio Northern University Raabe College of Pharmacy, has been studying cinnamon for years. In 2012, her research showed that type 2 diabetics who took daily cinnamon supplements saw greater reductions in blood sugar than those who took a placebo.

Some of these effects lasted even after participants stopped taking the supplements, says Stockert, which suggested that lasting changes had been triggered at the cellular level. “We started to suspect that one of the proteins involved in gene expression was being influenced by cinnamon,” she says.

Her new research, which has not yet been published in a peer-reviewed journal, focuses on Sirtuin-1 (also called Sirt-1)—a protein that’s active in insulin regulation. “We know that Sirt-1 acts on another protein that affects how glucose is transported,” says, “so it made sense that it might be the key player.”

http://time.com/4751426/why-cinnamon-is ... d-for-you/

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”