Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

Frodo
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Re: vitamin C, iodine, vegetarian diet

Post Number:#16  Post by Frodo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:51 pm

pamojja wrote:
ChuckArbogast wrote:, how do you take it? With or without other food or away from food? Are there any other supplements that shouldn't be taken with it?

Vitamin C immediately oxidizes iodine to iodide. So don't take together.

Pamojja
That‘s really interesting. How do you know?

pamojja
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#17  Post by pamojja » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:00 pm

Frodo wrote:How do you know?

One could for example google it https://www.google.com/search?q=iodine%2Bvitamin+c

Also it's pretty obvious if one adds any vitamin C with lugol's solution in water, its color immediately disappears. Though the iodide is still beneficial, just the specific benefits of iodine are less.

gmdodaro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#18  Post by gmdodaro » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:42 pm

Don't take iodine with magnesium either

ChuckArbogast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#19  Post by ChuckArbogast » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:19 pm

Thank you all for the information. I guess I will be adding this to my list of items I take soon.

SonnyCrack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#20  Post by SonnyCrack » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:09 am

You may want to look at my post. I'm one in a thousand that has stopped progression of my calcium score.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#21  Post by ofonorow » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:44 am

SonnyCrack wrote:You may want to look at my post. I'm one in a thousand that has stopped progression of my calcium score.

For new readers, the way to stop progression of calcium in your arteries is to add vitamin K to the Pauling Therapy. This is apparently a slower process (up to one year).
Owen R. Fonorow, Follow #OWENRFONOROW at twitter

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#22  Post by exitium » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:54 am

A vegetarian diet is also usually lacking in many B vitamins and many of them play an important role in calcium absorption.

You also need adequate vi K (as Owen has stated) as well as vit A & D.

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#23  Post by zarfas » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:11 am

exitium wrote:A vegetarian diet is also usually lacking in many B vitamins and many of them play an important role in calcium absorption.

You also need adequate vi K (as Owen has stated) as well as vit A & D.

well said
but even on a non=vegetarian diet, one might need b vitamins, as they are water soluble.

a plant based diet, gives lots of vit A and K, aside from the nitrates one needs to keep BP in range, among other things

Nitrite infusion in humans induces rapid local vasodilation, reduces blood pressure acutely, serves as an endocrine reservoir of nitric oxide, and, unlike organic nitrates, does not induce tolerance (45, 46). Nitrite has also been shown to play a role in mitochondrial respiration (47), cardiac function (48), activation the α form of the estrogen receptor (49), and exertion of antiapoptotic effects (50). Because nitrite is a biologically active compound resulting from nitrate reduction in tissues, significant physiologic benefits may be associated with the provision of nitrite from dietary sources
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/90/1/1/4596750

Eating spinach/carrots/ eggwhites is better than eating steak/potato, \
https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-he ... free-diet-
The idea that a low-fat, strict vegetarian diet may reverse heart disease is hardly new. First popularized by Dr. Dean Ornish more than two decades ago, these diets shun most animal-based foods, such as meat, milk, and eggs, and limit added fats. Small studies suggest that this eating pattern can shrink the amount of cholesterol-clogged plaque in your arteries, the main culprit in cardiovascular disease.

what they plant based people miss, is it is the extra vitamins they get, along with more nitrates, that are reducing the chance of heart disease, rather than a "low fat" diet being magical./

but that might be misleading as well, as the 2nd thing a person should do after getting on PT, (taking cardio C) is to lean out,,,, and this can be done eating whatever you want,
Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/tw ... index.html
For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.

The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.

For a class project, Haub limited himself to less than 1,800 calories a day. A man of Haub's pre-dieting size usually consumes about 2,600 calories daily. So he followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned.

His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.

gmdodaro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#24  Post by gmdodaro » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:03 pm

I have been taking this Vitamin K2 product for a couple of years: http://www.k-vitamins.com/#panel1360106682577

It contains milligram dosage!
K2 as MK-4 : 25 mg
K2 as MK-7 .5 mg

I take it with fish oil to aid absorption.

The top of this post describes my current status. Coronary calcium has continued to rise 75-100 points per year.
The best things I've seen in the past few months are reductions as follows: vegetarian diet, after resumed iodine supplementation, in a couple of months my cholesterol went down from 228 to 139, plaque number, LP-PLA2 dropped from high risk 117 to 75. Lp(a) down from 35 to 12. LDL particle number: 1561 -> 840. LDL: 134 -> 70.

I don't know what I've been missing, but this is encouraging that the next coronary calcium scan will show some improvement. I prefer not to do that scan more than once a year. Of course, I also take B vitamins, complex, methylcobalamin, folate etc.

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#25  Post by zarfas » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:44 pm

gmdodaro wrote: Coronary calcium has continued to rise 75-100 points per year.
The best things I've seen in the past few months are reductions as follows: vegetarian diet, after resumed iodine supplementation, in a couple of months my cholesterol went down from 228 to 139, plaque number, LP-PLA2 dropped from high risk 117 to 75. Lp(a) down from 35 to 12. LDL particle number: 1561 -> 840. LDL: 134 -> 70.

I don't know what I've been missing, but this is encouraging that the next coronary calcium scan will show some improvement. I prefer not to do that scan more than once a year. Of course, I also take B vitamins, complex, methylcobalamin, folate etc.

that's great news
how much weight did you lose?

Id add 10grams of vit C to that
as well as lysine/proline(eggwhites), ya know, the basic Pauling therapy

there are good and bad vegetarian diets...what kind of stuff are you eating?

gmdodaro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#26  Post by gmdodaro » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:23 pm

zarfas,
Please look at the original post at the top that contains more information. I've been taking 10-15 grams of vitamin C for more than 30 years. Have done Pauling therapy for nearly five years. I should not have heart disease, but my most recent coronary calcium scan was 840.

My new diet is mainly whole vegetables, fruits, and non gluten grains. I take fish oil for EPA, DHA, and vitamin D.

I haven't lost weight on vegetarian diet. I have always exercised, weight lifting and running. At 69, I am fit and now have no angina pain or atrial fibrillation. I have not been able to figure out what is giving me plaque, but I'm hoping that the LP-PLA2 reduction will help.

zarfas
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#27  Post by zarfas » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:50 pm

gmdodaro wrote:zarfas,
Please look at the original post at the top that contains more information. I've been taking 10-15 grams of vitamin C for more than 30 years. Have done Pauling therapy for nearly five years. I should not have heart disease, but my most recent coronary calcium scan was 840.

My new diet is mainly whole vegetables, fruits, and non gluten grains. I take fish oil for EPA, DHA, and vitamin D.

I haven't lost weight on vegetarian diet. I have always exercised, weight lifting and running. At 69, I am fit and now have no angina pain or atrial fibrillation. I have not been able to figure out what is giving me plaque, but I'm hoping that the LP-PLA2 reduction will help.

I didnt see the top post, I read what i responded to

why have you been taking Vit C for more than 30 yrs?
Id be curious about your A fib? so it's cured? no episodes in how long?

Id also be curious about your cardio, chronic cardio can use up vit C....maybe the solution was to take more? and your new veggie diet, has boosted your vit C intake a little?

IM very curious why you have a high CAC score,, it does seem like you are doing it all? maybe not enough lysine/proline?
Im just guessin...
you and i are in agreeement about the veggie diet.
I do like mcdougall
Dr. McDougall Webinar: The Dietary Treatment of Cancer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyRuDpqYuvY

he advocates a low fat, high veggie,fruit diet
much like the other forum I'm on
http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Ornish_Diet.aspx

how are your errections?
have you had your testostrone/estrogen numbers pulled?

Frodo
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#28  Post by Frodo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:02 am

ofonorow wrote:
SonnyCrack wrote:You may want to look at my post. I'm one in a thousand that has stopped progression of my calcium score.

For new readers, the way to stop progression of calcium in your arteries is to add vitamin K to the Pauling Therapy. This is apparently a slower process (up to one year).

Owen
How much K2-MK7 do you take? (German physicians like Dr. Strunz or Dr. von Helden recommend 200 ug)
Do you also take K1 and K2-MK4? I don‘t take it, because I‘m not sure that K1 is good for my blood.

Joanna45
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#29  Post by Joanna45 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:23 am

I use super k from life extensions and take 1 capsule a day ..2 months ago had ultrasound done on Carodid arteries and perriferal arteries and abdominal also all were clear..

Super K with Advanced K2 Complex provides the three forms of vitamin K that can be utilized by the body: vitamin K1 and dual forms of K2, MK-4 and MK-7. This comprehensive vitamin K formula promotes both bone and arterial health. So boost your vitamin K levels with the one-two punch of both K1 and K2, add Super K with Advanced K2 Complex to your nutrient regimen today!

Benefits at a Glance:

Maintains bone density by facilitating calcium transport into bone
Promotes a healthy heart and vascular system
Includes the most bioavailable forms of vitamin K1 and K2
Bioavailable over a sustained 24-hour period
The method by which vitamin K supports bones and arteries is related to its relationship with calcium. Research has shown that low vitamin K status interferes with the function of a protein called matrix Gla-protein (MGP). This protein is vitamin K dependent and must be carboxylated to function properly.

Without adequate vitamin K, MGP remains uncarboxylated. Studies have found that uncarboxylated MGP accumulates at the site of arterial calcification. Without normal levels of carboxylated MGP, calcium in the blood can bind to the arterial wall resulting in calcification.4,5

pamojja
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#30  Post by pamojja » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:49 am

Joanna45 wrote:Super K with Advanced K2 Complex provides the three forms of vitamin K that can be utilized by the body: vitamin K1 and dual forms of K2, MK-4 and MK-7.

gmdodaro wrote:I have been taking this Vitamin K2 product for a couple of years: http://www.k-vitamins.com/#panel1360106682577

It contains milligram dosage!
K2 as MK-4 : 25 mg
K2 as MK-7 .5 mg

Note, the product gmdodaro is using has 4 times more vitamin K1 (5 mg instead of 1.5 mg), 25 times!!! more K2-mk4 (25mg instead of 1mg) and 5 times more K2-mk7 (500 mcg instead of 100 mcg) per pill!

However, with no calcification whatsoever as Joanna the LEF product for prevention will probably suffice. Myself with a 80% blockage at the abdomial aorta I preferred to go with the multiples times higher doses product.
Last edited by pamojja on Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”