Iodine / Iodide

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

Lone Dog
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Iodine / Iodide

Post Number:#1  Post by Lone Dog » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:04 am

I've read in a few places that Iodine, particularly Potassium Iodide, is good for making cholesterol more 'soluble' (maybe inppropriate word in this context, but it's what I've seen used). So might it be worth taking in conjunction with the Pauling therapy? I've noticed a few members here take quite a bit more Iodine that the RDA. Any thoughts?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Iodine / Iodide

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:32 am

good question. What I (think I) know about iodine I learned from Dr. David Brownstein, his videos and book IODINE, see http://drbrownstein.com Of all the things Dr. Brownstein attributes to iodine, I have no memory of an association with cholesterol. However, to the extent that iodine regulates the function of the thyroid gland, it is possible that iodine supplementation might have an indirect effect on cholesterol, but I've never heard of the "solubility" angle.

The benefits of high iodine supplementation seem clear, as recommended by brownstein, and I can think of no reason to ignore these benefits in CVD patients.

Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Lone Dog
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by Lone Dog » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:25 pm

It's quite interesting that the rda seems quite low, yet many health practitioners etc are advocating higher doses. Thanks for the link Owen, I will check it out. Yes, I've read that people with under active thryoid tend to have higher cholesterol levels. Here are a couple of links referring to Potassium Iodide, mainly, though I'm not sure if Iodine itself can be used in the same way, maybe other members will have some ideas.

http://www.health-science-spirit.com/di ... tml#cardio

http://www.tahoma-clinic.com/iodide.shtml

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by Ralph Lotz » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:08 pm

Iodine plays an important role in breast and ovarian health in women and in prostate health in men
It is one of the most powerful hydroxyl radical scavengers.
Japanese people consume over 100 times the amount of iodine as Americans.

I have had excellent results with a product called IODORAL.
Here is an excellent link:
http://www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/opt_Research_I.shtml

"Unless we put medical freedom into the constitution...medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship..force people who wish doctors and treatment of their own choice to submit to only what..dictating outfit offers." Dr. Benjamin Rush

davsf

Post Number:#5  Post by davsf » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:54 pm

A couple of years ago I started applying tincture of iodine onto a 2 or 3 inch square patch of skin somewhere on my body twice a day (usually on alternating thighs). When I started, the discoloration disappeared within an hour or two, but, it started taking longer to disappear and now the discoloration lasts for over 12 hours.

I heard over an alternate radio "health" show about this, and, although it seemed hoaky to me, I decided to give it a try since it is easy to do. The radio guest said that the time it takes for the discoloration to disappear is a measure of iodine deficiency or not. It if takes more than 12 hours to disappear, it means you are not deficient and the iodine on your skin does not get absorbed. If you are deficient, then the iodine on your skin will be quickly absorbed.

I was surprised when I saw how it worked. I can't say I noticed any difference in my health, except maybe some swelling issues I was having abated somewhat.

Tincture of iodine is sold in Walgreen's drugstores, but, take care not to use the "de-colorized" kind, as you need to be able to see when the brownish color goes away from wherever you apply it.

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#6  Post by Dolev » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:32 pm

The skin absorption test is not considered by Abraham and Brownstein to be a good indicator of iodine sufficiency, but I don't remember why. When I get around to it, I'll find the info and post it.
Dolev

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by ofonorow » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:09 pm

But it might an indicator of vitamin C saturation in the tissues. Sounds quite a bit like a test Cheraskin mentioned in one of his books. The faster the color dissipates, the more vitamin C in the tissues.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”