30g and still just gas - keep rising?

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

cboy

30g and still just gas - keep rising?

Post Number:#1  Post by cboy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:15 am

I've gradually increased my daily dose of Vit C to 30g (divided in 4 or more doses), but am still not getting any diarrhea, just lots of gas. I started getting gas around 20g, but am no closer to diarrhea at 30g - in fact it's making me quite constipated.

Should I keep rising the dose or does the gas count as "bowel tolerance", meaning I hit it back at 20g?

My condition is chronic fatigue - experienced for over 5 years, caused by adrenal fatigue, candida overgrowth in the gut, some mitochondrial problems, deficiencies, and relentless insomnia. I do feel that I'm getting an energy boost from the Vit C, but have also had some side effects (worse sleep at first, post-meal fatigue getting worse).

Any help much appreciated!

cboy

Re: 30g and still just gas - keep rising?

Post Number:#2  Post by cboy » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:43 am

Up to 40g now and still nothing but gas! Can't afford to go much higher :(

carlp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by carlp » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:28 am

I would stay at the vitamin C level that you are at now. Try to take it away from meals if you can. You have a lot of health problems going on. Sorry to hear of them. It looks like your body needs all the vitamin C it can get. But don't dispair. It may take awhile for your body to adjust to the high amounts of ascorbic acid that you are ingesting. Also protein is said to help in vitamin C being better absorbed and used. I like to eat cashews when I take my vitamin C. Welcome to the forum! :mrgreen:

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:09 am

cboy wrote:I've gradually increased my daily dose of Vit C to 30g (divided in 4 or more doses), but am still not getting any diarrhea, just lots of gas. I started getting gas around 20g, but am no closer to diarrhea at 30g - in fact it's making me quite constipated.

Should I keep rising the dose or does the gas count as "bowel tolerance", meaning I hit it back at 20g?

My condition is chronic fatigue - experienced for over 5 years, caused by adrenal fatigue, candida overgrowth in the gut, some mitochondrial problems, deficiencies, and relentless insomnia. I do feel that I'm getting an energy boost from the Vit C, but have also had some side effects (worse sleep at first, post-meal fatigue getting worse).

Any help much appreciated!

Have you studied Dr. Cathcart's bowel tolerance chart (http://www.orthomed.com/titrate.htm).

People with mono are able to ingest up to 200,000 mg in 24 hours fighting the illness (the symptoms of which sound a lot like chronic fatigue to me.) If I were you, I would still increase my vitamin C, perhaps adding 2 to 4 packets of Lypo-C (no gas!) daily until I determined bowel tolerance. Your intake may still be way too low.

The problem with gas is a common one, and Sherry Lewin explains the reaction that creates the gas in his book VITAMIN C: It Biology and Medical Potential (1976). The gas is methane I think, and Lewin suggested certain "charcoal like" supplements you can take to interfere with the production of the gas in the gut. (I'll have to find my copy, but you can google supplements that reduce intestinal gas.)

As far as the problem with sleep - I have been using melatonin for about 20 years - works like a charm.

Are you taking any CoQ10? If I had any form of "chronic fatigue" I'd be thinking at least 500 mg of CoQ10, spread throughout the day. Take CoQ10 with meals containing fats.

Reminds me, you should take your high C with proteins and away from carbs, if memory serves, as that should reduce methane production. (I have to reread the Lewin book to refresh my memory on this point..)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

cboy

Post Number:#5  Post by cboy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:59 am

Thanks both for your responses, your help is really valuable to me as I don't have an experienced doctor on my side right now.

carlp - I've started taking the Vit C away from meals and seem to be experiencing less gas and post-meal fatigue, so that's definitely helped. Thanks!

ofonorow - I've studied the bowel tolerance chart and you're right, I need to be more patient and go higher. Just hoping it's not too high as I'm going to be giving up work soon to concentrate on getting better finally and money will be tight! Is the Lypo-C really worth it? Seems awfully expensive.

I eat a very low carb diet as I find that really helps me, so all my meals are high protein and low carb but taking too much C with them was upsetting my digestion and causing lots of gas.

Regarding melatonin - thanks for the suggestion. My insomnia is of the broken/early waking variety and seems to be a combination of hypoglycemia, under-functioning adrenals, stress and poor digestion. I've tried melatonin, 5htp, valerian, SAMe, various B vitamin combinations, calcium, magnesium, other sedating herbs - the only thing that helps a tiny bit is the magnesium. Very hard to beat this problem.
Last edited by cboy on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

cboy

Post Number:#6  Post by cboy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:10 am

And I forgot to reply about CoQ10 - I've tried that for some time but found no benefit, sadly. As it's very expensive and I've read it can worsen candida, I gave it up.

carlp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#7  Post by carlp » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:04 pm

Regarding CoQ10, I noticed the benefits when I'm walking. Before, some days it was a struggle for me. Now, I have the added energy I need to keep me going on my long walks. So it still might help you if you do a lot of exercising. I haven't heard of CoQ10 worsening candida. I'll have to research that.

rizwanuk

Post Number:#8  Post by rizwanuk » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:36 am

Have you looked at your hormone levels? You may benefit from restoring them to more youthful levels. If money is a problem I would just continue with the regular C. Also you may want to get the Vit D levels tested at your earliest and restored to optimal.

All the best.

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”