My Journey

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Re: My Journey

Post Number:#31  Post by skwoodwiva » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:36 pm

francisunderwood wrote:Has anyone here had issue with teeth by taking powder in water?

There are many here, do not risk it.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#32  Post by pamojja » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:59 pm

francisunderwood wrote:Has anyone here had issue with teeth by taking powder in water?

I'm a special case, and do not know if my experience is applicable to anyone else. At birth suffered pneumonia and was treaded with tetracycline injections. Nowadays they don't do that to new-born upto 2 years anymore, because it causes faulty teeth-development and decay. So it did with me. At my first dentist appointment preschool 7 teeth were pulled (an other thing they don't do anymore). In youth the decay accelerated and was repaired repeatedly again (a mouthful of amalgam..). However, as young adult those teeth repaired just continued to crumble and I gave up on repair. Around 28 years of age I let everything remove what was left - in most cases just black holes. Thereby all amalgams gone again, luckily :D

The 12 teeth left didn't change since then at all, also not since taking daily 23 g ascorbic acid powder in water since 9 years now.

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#33  Post by skwoodwiva » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:12 am

Thanks pamojja for the testimony!

Update, I started celery seed & olive leaf. In 2 days, heart rate is 57 to 60 & BP is below 101/66, resting. That is from about 68 to 70, & 115 / 75 previously.

ChuckArbogast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#34  Post by ChuckArbogast » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:17 pm

skwoodwiva wrote:Thanks pamojja for the testimony!

Update, I started celery seed & olive leaf. In 2 days, heart rate is 57 to 60 & BP is below 101/66, resting. That is from about 68 to 70, & 115 / 75 previously.

Do you mind sharing what celery seed & olive leaf product you started taking to get those results?

Thanks,
Chuck

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#35  Post by skwoodwiva » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:49 pm

ChuckArbogast wrote:

Do you mind sharing what celery seed & olive leaf product you started taking to get those results?

Thanks,
Chuck

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/192177941343
About 3 g /d initial dose for loading
Split in 2.

I heard .5 x 3 is plenty

The olive is just Natures Way recommended dose

ChuckArbogast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#36  Post by ChuckArbogast » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:17 am

skwoodwiva wrote:
ChuckArbogast wrote:

Thanks,
Chuck

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/192177941343
About 3 g /d initial dose for loading
Split in 2.

I heard .5 x 3 is plenty

The olive is just Natures Way recommended dose

Thank you for the information.

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#37  Post by skwoodwiva » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:21 am

Just in case some missed it, my BT is subject to the availability of lysine. The more regular and often the lysine, the greater is my bowel tolerance. By my subjective observations, anyway.

BTW I tore my proximal bicep tendon and have cuff damage.
Getting MRI on monday, anticipate surgery ASAP. :roll:
It is from bitting off more than I should have working HVAC.

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#38  Post by skwoodwiva » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:45 am

pamojja wrote:
Since many years I'm posting this one odd study, also here at vitamin C foundation repeatedly, to point out that any more than 1.5 mg/dl is NOT peed out. It only has been so assumed, but never actually measured as in this one study. But it seems nobody is even listening:

Journal of the New Zealand Medical Association, 23-August-2002, Vol 115 No 1160

Glycohaemoglobin and ascorbic acid

Copplestone et al1 (http://www.nzma.org....al/115-1157/25/) identified misleading glycohaemoglobin (GHb) results due to a haemoglobin variant (Hb D Punjab) and listed a number of other possible causes for such false results (ie, haemolytic anaemia, uraemia, lead poisoning, alcoholism, high-dose salicylates and hereditary persistence of foetal haemoglobin).

We have observed a significant "false" lowering of GHb in animals and humans supplementing ascorbic acid (AA) at multigram levels. Mice receiving ~7.5 mg/d (equivalent to > 10 g/day in a 70 kg human) exhibited no decrease in plasma glucose, but a 23% reduction in GHb.2 In humans, supplementation of AA for several months did not lower fasting plasma glucose.3,4 We studied 139 consecutive consenting non-diabetic patients in an oncology clinic. The patients had been encouraged as part of their treatment to supplement AA. Self-reported daily intake varied from 0 to 20 g/day. The plasma AA levels ranged from 11.4 to 517 µmol/L and correlated well with the reported intake. Regression analysis of their GHb and plasma AA values showed a statistically significant inverse association (eg, each 30 µmol/L increase in plasma AA concentration resulted in a decrease of 0.1 in GHb).

A 1 g oral dose of AA can raise plasma AA to 130 µmol/L within an hour and such doses at intervals of about two hours throughout the day can maintain ~230 µmol AA/L.5 Similar levels could also be achieved by use of sustained-release AA tablets. This AA concentration would induce an approximate 0.7 depression in GHb. The GHb assay used in our study, affinity chromatography, is not affected by the presence of AA.3 Thus, unlike the case with Hb D Punjab, our results were not caused by analytical method artifact. More likely, the decreased GHb associated with AA supplementation appears related to an in vivo inhibition of glycation by the elevated plasma AA levels, and not a decrease in average plasma glucose.3 If this is true, the effect has implications not only for interpretation of GHb but also for human ageing, in which glycation of proteins plays a prominent role in age-related degenerative changes.

A misleading GHb lowering of the magnitude we observed can be clinically significant. Current recommendations for diabetics suggest that GHb be maintained at 7, a level that is associated with acceptable control and decreased risk of complications; when GHb exceeds 8, re-evaluation of treatment is necessary.6 Moreover, relatively small increases in average blood sugar (ie, GHb) can accompany adverse reproductive effects. A difference in mean maternal GHb of 0.8 was found for women giving birth to infants without or with congenital malformations.7 In either of these circumstances, an underestimation of GHb could obscure the need for more aggressive intervention.

Vitamin usage is common in New Zealand and after multivitamins, AA is the most often consumed supplement.8 Moreover, diabetics are encouraged to supplement antioxidants, including AA. Thus, it seems prudent for primary care health providers to inquire regarding the AA intake of patients, especially diabetics, when using GHb for diagnosis or treatment monitoring.

Cheryl A Krone
Senior Research Scientist
John TA Ely
Director
Applied Research Institute
PO Box 1925
Palmerston North

References:

Copplestone S, Mackay R, Brennan S. Normal glycated haemoglobin in a patient with poorly controlled diabetes mellitus and haemoglobin D Punjab: implications for assessment of control. NZ Med J 2002;115(1157). URL: http://www.nzma.org....al/115-1157/25/
Krone CA, Ely JTA. Vitamin C and glycohemoglobin revisited. Clin Chem 2001;47(1):148.
Davie SJ, Gould BJ, Yudkin JS. Effect of vitamin C on glycosylation of proteins. Diabetes 1992;41(2):167–73.
Paolisso G, Balbi V, Bolpe C, et al. Metabolic benefits deriving from chronic vitamin C supplementation in aged non-insulin dependent diabetics. J Am Coll Nutr 1995; 14(4):387–392.
Lewin S. Vitamin C: Its Molecular Biology and Medical Potential. New York: Academic Press; 1976.
Kenealey T, Braatvedt G, Scragg R. Screening for type 2 diabetes in non-pregnant adults in New Zealand: practice recommendations. NZ Med J 2002;115(1152):194–6.
Rosenn B, Miodovnik M, Dignan PS, et al. Minor congenital malformation in infants of insulin-dependent diabetic women: association with poor glycemic control. Obstet Gynecol 1990;76:745–9.
Allen T, Thomson WM, Emmerton LM, Poulton R. Nutritional supplement use among 26-year-olds. N Z Med J 2000;113(1113):274–7.

To repeat:

The plasma AA levels ranged from 11.4 to 517 µmol/L and correlated well with the reported intake. ..varied from 0 to 20 g/day.

In other words plasma AA levels ranged from 0,2 to 9,1 mg/dl and correlated well with self-reported intake from 0 to 20 g/d. (devide by 56,78 from µmol/L to mg/dl)

skwoodwiva, your AA plasma levels are to be expected, and those calling you a mutant obviously don't read what has been posted on this forum already multiple times. I'm loosing my patience...

Johnwen posted this in another thread.
https://firstlaw.wordpress.com/2012/12/ ... -it-wrong/
This is an amazing article.

In the quote above:
While the link to the NZ study is broken, the complete link is "404" now.
I found this similar study using much less VC which is strange indeed/rather wonder why the older one is gone?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7729050
This quote has a relation to the first link blood concentration.

Maybe pamojja or others have the original PDF?
Last edited by skwoodwiva on Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

francisunderwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#39  Post by francisunderwood » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:34 pm

skwoodwiva wrote:Just in case some missed it, my BT is subject to the availability of lysine. The more regular and often the lysine, the greater is my bowel tolerance. By my subjective observations, anyway.

Good luck, hope its not as bad as you think.

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#40  Post by skwoodwiva » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:56 pm

francisunderwood wrote:
skwoodwiva wrote:Just in case some missed it, my BT is subject to the availability of lysine. The more regular and often the lysine, the greater is my bowel tolerance. By my subjective observations, anyway.

Good luck, hope its not as bad as you think.

Thank you for asking about it.
It is worse. The long head, not the proximal, appears to be severed & retracted the MRI report says. Yet my referral ortho says surgery is not a direction he wants to go in.
So a second opinion is needed or living with a weaker right, my handed, arm. I would have the proximal tendon only. KP is not the best of care nor are fair second opinions easy to come by.

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#41  Post by skwoodwiva » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:09 pm

I am experiencing the benefits of capsaicin!
5 to 8 Jalapenos a day. As well as much cayenne as I can sprinkle. This really increases my now diminishing bladder holding abilities.
I have been on a really hot diet for only a week.
I find also if I tolerate the heat in my mouth I do not experience the burning in my BMs. While if I "hide" the heat from my mouth (pills) my body adapts poorly & I do get burning below...

What I thought was swelling from CHF in my left ankle only. Turns out to be venous insufficiency due the saphenous vein being used in my CABG. About which, a Futuro open toe/heel 20-30 stocking does wonders. The right has no swelling.
Last edited by skwoodwiva on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#42  Post by skwoodwiva » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:56 am

I am finally able to rid myself of the crospovidone induced sores using a heating pad during sleep. Maybe the DMSO has helped too.

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#43  Post by skwoodwiva » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:01 pm

Warning
Not all Hawthorn berry is good.
I try a source after my first attack in '14 and it was great. Felt like Lasix & more. Some say it relieves angina but I never have angina, weird, I know. I just pass out. CHF is my symptom. I have a fridge full of nitro tabs! No VC at all, back then, BTW. Supplier changed product. Tried others and could not find a good one, Chinese too.
I went to a big Chinese pharmacy/ Costco like place yesterday. Found this https://mega.nz/#!MVxwyIhT!p5ujaeFF9VYr ... eB10-9isTA

Amazing! A heaping tbls of the chunks in a 20 min boil is plenty. 14 oz, no seeds, $4.

The Chinese ones that did nothing had the common ventilation holes in the poly bag while the new one is hermetic!

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#44  Post by skwoodwiva » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:11 pm

I am told by my KP cardiologist that I do not need a 3rd LPa (1st, @29 mg/dl-1/17, to 2nd, @13-5/17). Yet he approves a non calculated panel!
I now am unemployed and am disabled with a ruptured long head tendon. Yet corticosteroid injection along with intense PT has lead me to hope for employment soon...

So I researched for some supporting studies and sent him this

I have changed my diet and natural supplementation drastically.
I have dropped to 13. Yet lpa can be assessed as a risk factor @ 24.
See this
"The risk of CHD was flat until ~24 mg/dL, then rose continuously with increasing Lp(a), up to risk ratio of ~1.5 at 192 mg/dL (Figure 1A). These data clearly demonstrate that in subjects without prior CHD that Lp(a) is an independent predictor of CHD, even at modest levels of Lp(a) of >24 mg/dL, which is the approximately the 70th percentile population risk that encompasses approximately 2 billion people globally [2, 3]."
And
"Several agents have been reported to reduce Lp(a) concentrations, including niacin in high doses (74), l-carnitine at a dose of 2 g/day (75), and ascorbic acid (3 g/day) together with l-lysine "
From
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... po=12.5000

I cannot afford to keep up the same level of supplementation & diet as I was, being presently disabled AND unemployed, I need to know this stat!

skwoodwiva
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#45  Post by skwoodwiva » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:49 pm

He granted my request. Yet said Lpa means little and he could increase my statin & give me a stronger one. I stopped my statin months ago.
My understanding is, at best statins do little for LPa.
BTW that study supports PT!
I do the listed items a 8g (1 niaspan+7 IR), 2g and 16 to 24 g a day

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”