Cholesterol

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

confused1
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Cholesterol

Post Number:#1  Post by confused1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:58 pm

Been on Pauling Therapy for about 6 months and had my cholesterol checked. 230 total, 147 ldl, 18 vldl, and 65 hdl. I guess nothing to be concerned about, but all my numbers have climbed slightly since last year. I switched to niacinamide from regular niacin because of the flush when I started PT. Could this be a factor?

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Cholesterol

Post Number:#2  Post by pamojja » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:36 am

Could be a factor. However, cholesterol levels to fluctuate widely without any apparent reason. For example with LDL fluctuations of 30% are a normal occurrence. How high are your triglycerides?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:40 am

The quick rule of thumb is that you are about 50 points higher than if you were on "optimal" vitamin C, e.g. total 180 mg/dl. Meaning it looks like you need even more vitamin C. So how much vitamin C are you taking?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

confused1
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#4  Post by confused1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:09 am

pamojja wrote:Could be a factor. However, cholesterol levels to fluctuate widely without any apparent reason. For example with LDL fluctuations of 30% are a normal occurrence. How high are your triglycerides?

Triglycerides are 88.
ofonorow wrote:The quick rule of thumb is that you are about 50 points higher than if you were on "optimal" vitamin C, e.g. total 180 mg/dl. Meaning it looks like you need even more vitamin C. So how much vitamin C are you taking?
I take 15 to 20 grams a day, 5 grams (a heaping teaspoon) 3 or 4 times a day. I eat a lot of our free range duck and chicken eggs, and duck eggs have double the cholesterol of chicken eggs, but I've read dietary cholesterol doesn't affect serum levels. But my hdl number is excellent isn't it?
P.S. Hey! I just noticed I'm a vitamin c master!

confused1
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#5  Post by confused1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:19 am

Just a quick note: I never come close to bowel tolerance at this dose. Even when I feel healthy I can take 40 grams a day without reaching it.

confused1
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#6  Post by confused1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:36 am

18 months ago my numbers were 211 total, 117 triglycerides, 56 hdl, 132 ldl. So triglycerides dropped, hdl raised, but total and low went up. I don't know which trend is more important. I guess I'm moving in the right direction because my ratio has dropped from 3.77 to 3.69.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by pamojja » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:59 am

Also never forget there other factors which can drive blood-lipids up. For example a healing fatty-liver: https://www.westonaprice.org/why-is-my- ... this-diet/

confused1
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#8  Post by confused1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:33 pm

Hmmm...reading that, I consume a lot of eggs, yolk and all, and I put two teaspoons of mct oil and a teaspoon of coconut oil in my morning coffee. So plenty of things to help synthesize cholesterol but also plenty of healthy things my body needs. I don't think I'll worry about it because my ratio is good and nothing is overly high, just borderline.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#9  Post by ofonorow » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:57 am

Two clues. Elevated total cholesterol and you haven't reached bowel tolerance.

From experience reported here, your bowel tolerance will drop to more normal after what ever is creating the "demand" for vitamin C in your body is corrected. Right now your body is metabolizing all the vitamin C that you are providing it. Have you considered adding liposomal vitamin C to see whether that can help with whatever issue you are dealing with? Or more plain vitamin C.

We haven't heard from David in several years, but he had a) a mouthful of amalgam mercury fillings, and b) consumed over 100 grams of vitamin C daily.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

confused1
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#10  Post by confused1 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:17 am

ofonorow wrote:Two clues. Elevated total cholesterol and you haven't reached bowel tolerance.

From experience reported here, your bowel tolerance will drop to more normal after what ever is creating the "demand" for vitamin C in your body is corrected. Right now your body is metabolizing all the vitamin C that you are providing it. Have you considered adding liposomal vitamin C to see whether that can help with whatever issue you are dealing with? Or more plain vitamin C.

We haven't heard from David in several years, but he had a) a mouthful of amalgam mercury fillings, and b) consumed over 100 grams of vitamin C daily.
I've read most of David's posts. I do have several mercury filings I've had since childhood. Financially I am unable to have them removed but it's on my list if I hit the lottery. :lol: I haven't tried liposomal c on a regular basis but I'll consider it. I have a sickness that I haven't discussed on these boards and I wouldn't have thought would increase my need for c but perhaps it does. I was bedridden for over two years and it's the reason I lost my business of 25 years and have money problems. I began having panic attacks when driving due to a horrible incident in a car. It got progressively worse and eventually I was diagnosed with ptsd and prescribed xanax. At the time I trusted doctors implicitly. Xanax made me feel like a zombie and after a period of about 6 months I quit taking it cold turkey. Big mistake. Withdrawals can last for years. It destroys your GABA receptors and causes non stop anxiety. I literally thought I was dying for over 2 years. I have been off for 3 years and still have some issues left, mainly insane tinnitus and insomnia. I'm about 90% healed. It's what started my health crusade and I will never blindly trust a doctor again. Maybe this increases my need for c.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#11  Post by ofonorow » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:45 am

Have you tried melatonin for the insomnia? My wife and I sleep like babies - and have for 20+ years since we discovered that like vitamin C, it has a wealth of health benefits.

I also suggest reading NIACIN: THE REAL STORY by A. Hoffer, Andrew Saul and one other. This book was recommended by an attorney who is a good friend of the Foundation. Everyone I know with "mental issues" who has started taking Niacin has reported benefits. Now Hoffer was over 90 when he wrote his part, and there is a little repetition, but the main idea is his theory that over 1/3 of the world's population has a genetic defect requiring more than the minimum Niacin/B3 for proper brain function. (Probably 100% of the world's population has the GULO defect, requiring more vitamin C than the minimum)

For the details, you'll have to read the book, but it is clear that ADHD (the childhood hyper activity disorder) is because the child isn't getting enough Niacin. Correct that and the hyper activity subsides. I also note that Hoffer routinely prescribed equal amounts of vitamin C and Niacin to his patients, so that gives you a rough estimate.

The history is interesting. Hoffer, who was a PHD, MD and psychiatrist in Canada, discovered that he could completely control schizophrenia in his patients, with mega doses of vitamin B3/Niacin. Pauling read his book, and became fascinated that something which cured a deficiency disease at a few milligrams, could be effective and non toxic at a thousand times that dosage. Pauling invented the term orthomolecular to help describe this phenomenon. Vitamin C is the same way, and the rest, as they say is history.

Hoffer's theory is that there are various middle conditions in mental disease/brain function, and that various dosages of Niacin are required to effect a particular reaction, returning the brain to near normal.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

francisunderwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#12  Post by francisunderwood » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:55 pm

I love Hoffer's 3 minute video on YouTube showing all the vitamins he takes. I'm guessing he was late 80s or early 90s when it was recorded.

Confused, you made me think just now that I have been on Xanax for about 18 years now and I credit it with saving my life then and it helps me get through some days even now. I take .5 mg of the extended release twice per day so that is probably considered a very low dose.

confused1
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#13  Post by confused1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:31 am

francisunderwood wrote:I love Hoffer's 3 minute video on YouTube showing all the vitamins he takes. I'm guessing he was late 80s or early 90s when it was recorded.

Confused, you made me think just now that I have been on Xanax for about 18 years now and I credit it with saving my life then and it helps me get through some days even now. I take .5 mg of the extended release twice per day so that is probably considered a very low dose.
I've been told that it affects 10-15% of those who use it like it did me. Cold turkey quitting is a no no for everyone so be careful. Any drug can be dangerous and Xanax stole the last 3 years of life away but I'm glad it helped you. Millions use Tylenol everyday but it kills hundreds yearly. Just the roll of the dice I guess. Mine came up snake eyes.

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”