Interferential Electrical Current device

Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

maryclaire
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interferential Electrical Current device

Post Number:#1  Post by maryclaire » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:01 pm

I just got back from my second prolotherapy session and the doctor advised me to use an 'interferential electrical current' device on my hands and knees...does anyone have any experience with this type of treatment or a device they would recommend?

By the way, the prolotherapy has been working marvelously...it reduced my pain by 95%-100%. I went from constant pain to almost no pain. Very grateful to Exitium for recommending prolo. I really didn't expect it to work so well but I am sold. I had both hands and one knee treated.

Thanks!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Interferential Electrical Current device

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:49 am

You'll need to explain both therapies... after all, we are the Vitamin C Foundation.... :D

As far as "electrical" therapies in general, you can read an excellent introduction (history) in the book by Becker - BODY ELECTRIC.

We have videos of the late Bob Beck who designed the devices sold by the Canadian company Sota. You can easily find them on youtube.

And finally there are electrical devices like the "wellness pro" that are supposed to have remarkable healing and pain relief benefits.
Owen R. Fonorow, Follow #OWENRFONOROW at twitter

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#3  Post by exitium » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:59 am

Maryclaire
maryclaire wrote:I just got back from my second prolotherapy session and the doctor advised me to use an 'interferential electrical current' device on my hands and knees...does anyone have any experience with this type of treatment or a device they would recommend?

By the way, the prolotherapy has been working marvelously...it reduced my pain by 95%-100%. I went from constant pain to almost no pain. Very grateful to Exitium for recommending prolo. I really didn't expect it to work so well but I am sold. I had both hands and one knee treated.

Thanks!

Wow, thats great to hear you gave it a shot and its working for you. So few people I tell about it are either turned off by the number of injections or cost. Most people simply dont understand just what the long term effects of joint laxity are and whats at stake. Ive actually had people tell me "I simply cant afford that, I guess I wait until my knee is completely trashed and have to have a knee replacement thats covered by insurance".

I would wager that the second polo treatment was likely much less painful than the first? Assuming thats the case its a clear sign the tissues are healing. An uninjured tendon/ligament generally elicites very little if any pain to pressure or the injection.

as for "interferential electrical current" I I assume your doc is referring to "TENS"? Its basically microcurrent that interferes with the pain signals in the nerves and reduces the felt pain. My understanding is it really doesnt do much in terms of healing just blocks pain so I would say going this route is completely dependant on how much pain your in and if you think you need more pain management.

Having said that he could possibly be referring to electro-acutherapy which is a treatment I would recommend, especially if you have been suffering from joint laxity for some time.

Generally speaking when someone has joint laxity due to overuse or an injury the muscle will often try and take up the slack in the joint by pulling on the tendons that attach them to the bone. As one can imagine that over time this puts a lot of stress on the muscles and can cause cramping etc. A more insidious problem is the microadhesions that happen within the muscle. These are little bits of scar tissue that develop all through the muscle tissue and they prevent the individual cells from freely moving and result in constant tension within the muscle. This can eventually lead to uneven loads on joints and further speed deterioration of the joint, even if the joint is stabilized with prolotherapy.

I have found prolotherapy and electro-acutherapy to compliment each other very well and usually, my treatment protocol will involve both modalities because both problems usually exist together. The electro-acutherapy also promotes healing so is beneficial beyond breaking up the adhesions.

Of course one of the most often overlooked aspects of prolo treatment or the treatment of any ligamentous injury is the building blokcs for collagen and Vit C plays a huge role in that so being in this forum and using large doses of Vit C should give you a big head start.

Owen, prolotherapy is the process of injecting an irritant (and in some cases your own red blood sells when its referred to as PRP) directly into injured tendons and ligaments. These tissues are non vascular and have an extremely slow natural cellular turnover rate of 300-500 days. Modern medicine has everyone snowed thinking R.I.C.E is the way to deal with sprains and the like but somewhere along the line they forgot their basic anatomy lessons about the healing process and how critical to proper healing the inflammatory phase is. Obviously, there is a time for inflammation control to prevent compartmentalization syndrome but after initial control of initial inflammation, some is absolutely essential for proper healing.

People get in this vicious cycle where they tweak a joint, ice it and take anti-inflammatories, kill the healing process leaving them in a weakened state, continue to aggravate it, ice it and take anti-inflammatories, kill the healing and continually rinsing and repeating. The whole time the joint continues to deteriorate until eventually, something gives, arthritis sets in, a meniscus tears or a tendon ruptures completely and surgery is required. In most cases this can all be avoided by simply properly treating the root of the problem which is injured and lax ligaments.

Just like nutrition, most docs miss the boat and throw the basics out the window opting for management until they can intervene with drugs and surgery.

maryclaire
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#4  Post by maryclaire » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:36 pm

Thanks for info about electro-acutherapy...I’m interested and looking into it. My doctor was pretty specific about the type of machine and when I mentioned TENS he said that wasn’t what he meant...I did find the IF setting included with a TENS device. I don’t need anything for the pain. :) I didn’t think I would ever say that! Would like a machine to help break up adhesion and help with healing.

If anyone is interested in finding out more about prolotherapy, I found this site to be one of the best...

Caringmedical.com

Here’s a description from the site detailing what happens when you receive treatment:

As many as 85-90% of patients have received good to excellent results when assessing their pain relief and improved function.  Just as importantly, pain medications can be greatly reduced or even eliminated.  Prolotherapy often produces long-lasting relief, naturally.

The healing that prolotherapy encourages seems to occur in stages over a six week period.  Reevaluation of the injured site, after prolotherapy treatment, can confidently be made after 6 weeks.

Stage 1 (Inflammation): Increased blood flow, swelling and pain.  Cells are called in to remove damaged tissue: this occurs during the first week.

Stage 2 (Fibroblastic Cells): The swelling and pain begin to subside with new blood vessels forming.  Fibroblasts increase in number at the sites of injection and over the course of four to six weeks secrete a substance called collagen which is a very strong and relatively inelastic substance.  The new collagen makes the ligaments thicker, denser and stronger, providing more support to the joints.

Stage 3 (Completed Healing): New blood vessels mature and tissue is stronger and pain subsides.  Collagen density and diameter are increased.  The strength of the injected ligaments can increase up to 40% above normal.  Stability is increased as pain and muscle spasm decrease.  The newly formed tissue continues to mature for one and one-half years.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by ofonorow » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:01 am

exitium wrote:These tissues are non vascular and have an extremely slow natural cellular turnover rate of 300-500 days

Probably shouldn't be butting in, but the above quote tells me that DMSO should be a good healing option, as its property is to move oxyten and other "things" through tissues outside of the normal blood vessels.
Owen R. Fonorow, Follow #OWENRFONOROW at twitter

exitium
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#6  Post by exitium » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:28 pm

ofonorow wrote:
exitium wrote:These tissues are non vascular and have an extremely slow natural cellular turnover rate of 300-500 days

Probably shouldn't be butting in, but the above quote tells me that DMSO should be a good healing option, as its property is to move oxyten and other "things" through tissues outside of the normal blood vessels.

Yes, DMSO is known for its ability to aid in the healing of tendons/ligaments. Ive used it quite a bit for this purpose but I have yet to find anything that works as effeciently and as completely as prolo.

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by Johnwen » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:25 pm

For those who read this and wonder what their talking about I’ll clarify it with some links to get a better idea of what these different therapies are and how they work!

Prolotherapy;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolotherapy

Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS);

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcuta ... timulation

Interferential Therapy;

http://www.electrotherapy.org/modality/ ... al-therapy

The difference between TENS and IT is explained in the first paragraph of the last link!

The basic principle of Interferential Therapy (IFT) is to utilize the significant physiological effects of low frequency (<250pps) electrical stimulation of nerves without the associated painful and somewhat unpleasant side effects sometimes associated with low frequency stimulation. Aka; TENS.

Hope this helps with the understanding of these different therapies! :wink:
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

MelissaCB

Post Number:#8  Post by MelissaCB » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:27 am

My pup tore her acl about 8 years ago and we opted for prolotherapy.She did 4-5 sessions and the cost was under $400 and zero down time. Very effective. She is 10now and still going strong and never reinjured herself.
Very effective and much better for everyone Compared to the cost of acl surgery repair and the consequential down time. Good for everyone Except for the vets of course who make big bucks off surgery.

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”