Potassium Bicarbonate and Cardio C

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

nic
Contributor
Contributor

Potassium Bicarbonate and Cardio C

Post Number:#1  Post by nic » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:38 pm

Naturopath recommended adding Potassium Bicarbonate to my Cardio C to reduce serious gastric distress with 3 g C, 2 or 3 times per day.

Would I be undercutting the C, or Lysine or Proline in the Pauling Therapy by adding Potassium Bicarbonate?

How much would you add to buffer the acidity of 3 grams of C?

Thanks,

Nic

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Potassium Bicarbonate and Cardio C

Post Number:#2  Post by pamojja » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:57 am

Do you get gastric distress at taking 3g doses of vitamin C? What kind is the distress? What other causes could there be if you don't tolerate such low doses of ascrobic acid?

Even Linus Pauling added some sodium bicarbonate to his 18g of vitamin C daily. Of course, if you completely neutralize the ascorbic acid to potassium bicarbonate, it might have only about half of some of it's properties. Wouldn't have any effect on lysine or proline.

How much you would have to experiment. As soon as the mixture would taste alkaline you would have added too much potassium bicarbonate.

But why you only take up to 9 g/d? If you have CVD I would look into ways to get at least up to 18g of ascorbic acid a day.

nic
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#3  Post by nic » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:51 am

I get a burning in the stomach that came on after being on 3 g of C, 3 times per day. (50/50 mixture of Cardio C and Askorsine 9)

Do 9 g following the chart for 100 mg per kg bodyweight therapeutic dose that JohnWen put out here:
http://vitaminc.foundation/forum/viewto ... 593#p18790

So you think I might be losing half of the C effect by combining with potassium bicarbonate?

I might just try taking after meals to keep my stomach under control.

Thanks,

Nick
Last edited by nic on Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrightSideOfLife
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#4  Post by BrightSideOfLife » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:54 am

nic wrote:Naturopath recommended adding Potassium Bicarbonate to my Cardio C to reduce serious gastric distress with 3 g C, 2 or 3 times per day.

Would I be undercutting the C, or Lysine or Proline in the Pauling Therapy by adding Potassium Bicarbonate?

How much would you add to buffer the acidity of 3 grams of C?

Thanks,

Nic

I use potassium bicarb myself to neutralize acidity because an infection in my stomach reacts to anything acidic that I consume.

If you get some pH paper, which is fairly inexpensive for a large roll, you can test before and after adding potassium bicarb to find out it's pH. When you reach 7 pH it is neutral. It might start out at around 1 to 2.5 pH so might require a lot of potassium bicarb to neutralise the acidity.

You might be better off by using magnesium carbonate mixed with ascorbic acid to help neutralise the acidity and provide some valuable magnesium as magnesium ascorbate. That is about 200mg of magnesium per 5ml scoop skimmed off but not packed. You might be able to add a few of those to help neutralise the acidity. The white colour turns clear when it is fully reacted. A little warmth helps so add a little warm water but not hot as you do not want the temperature rising too much above 40C. The reaction happens faster at higher temperatures. I would not recommend dipping pH paper into the liquid, take a tiny sample using a spoon and pour that onto the pH paper. Once you know how much is required you might not need to do it again if you use the same quantities.

nic wrote:I get a burning in the stomach that came on after being on 3 g of C, 3 times per day. (50050 mixture of Cardio C and Askorsine 9)

Do 9 g following the chart for 100 mg per kg bodyweight therapeutic dose that JohnWen put out here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7593#p18790

So you think I might be losing half of the C effect by combining with potassium bicarbonate?

I might just try taking after meals to keep my stomach under control.

Thanks,

Nick

I short, no, you will not lose half the vitamin c by adding a bicarbonate. You will just convert the ascorbic acid to sodium ascorbate or potassium ascorbate which will be used by the body.

BrightSideOfLife
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#5  Post by BrightSideOfLife » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:07 pm

Yes that is fine. I have been getting mine from eBay for quite a while and prior to that from an online store. Providing it is a food grade form then it should be okay. Some is used for other purposes such as to aid grip in sports and weight lifting. Magnesium carbonate has many different uses BTW.

Try and ensure that the liquid turns clear so that all the mag carb is reacted in an acid/base reaction. However if there is still some white colour then it should be a higher pH and therefore will probably be easier to take. It's just that less of the magnesium will be bioavailable and will still be in mag carb form rather than as a more bioavailable mag salt.

nic
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#6  Post by nic » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:22 am

Thank you!

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”